Congratulations! Hearthstone has officially "upgraded" to a battle pass system!

One thing they said in a recent interview is that the new experience system is supposed to help level out the difference in income between what are now regular and ‘slower’ modes. They specifically mention BG as currently providing less income but going to offer more experience in the new system.

Here’s the Out of Cards post outlining that interview:

https://outof.cards/hearthstone/2072-hearthstones-liv-breeden-and-cora-georgiou-talk-darkmoon-faire-balance-progression-duels-and-more

Once you get past level 50, every level rewards 150g.

So, it is only the initial part of the track that mixes different types of reward together. Once you have passed level 50, you’re just earning gold.

Correct… we should. If we play the same, the gold earned should be slightly more. If that turns out to be true, then I’ll praise the new system and congratulate the team on a job well done. If not, then I’m calling out Ayala and Yang and the other devs as big fat liars.

1 Like

Indeed. I do not doubt the intention of the Dev in that sense.

However, also note that there is a difference to players with limited playtime. As from knowledge, there are some that juggles life commitment, while still achieving that 9000g target.

That where I understand some posters’ concerns, as beyond lvl50 requires more time from them, or settle with less gold(more rewards in packs, skin) for same time committed.
(e.g. time to achieve 4500/9000gold* now compare to time to achieve 4500/9000gold* under new system)

But at this stage, it is speculations. Look forward to see your updates in future. :smiley:

2 Likes

One thing that stood out in the interview that is a bit concerning is how they view the 3 wins for 10 gold setup. Most people don’t track how many of those they’ve done over an expansion but we do track how much gold we have. If it’s less people will definitely notice no matter how much they cover it up with graphics and skinner boxes. Until all the numbers related to the XP system are visible we only really have the word of people who are paid to paint as rosy a picture as possible about the change.

1 Like

Im not convinced there will be 5 months between sets. After two consecutive years of “emergency nerfs” squeezed in to beat the Xmas break, which possibly could have been done better with a bit more time, I think they are trying to move the release dates forward a month across the board (March, July, November), not have 5 months between DMF & set 1 next year.

1 Like

Yikes xp boost tied to $$$. P2W is here.

1 Like

Xp doesn’t make you win games.

Interesting. That’s a possibility. Would love to hear Blizz confirm that (if there are any Blues listening… Jesse? Are you there? Oh yeah, that’s right… massive layoffs).

1 Like

Also worth pointing out:

You need less gold for the same set completion than you used to. A LOT less.

Thank you for taking the time to post a concise and full explanation. I believe you are correct and im actually ok with that - cosmetic for paid track with cards & gold for free track is a good system in my eyes. Thanks again for the full answer to my question - you answered it completely!

I’d say power to them!

I only play Battlegrounds and Arena and don’t buy anything so I’m essentially a drain on their resources.

shrugs I never see people factor in ‘cost vs value/time’ in their arguments. I’ve got hundreds of hours in Hearthstone without spending a cent and to be fair, I’d probably be willing to part with a bit of $ if I enjoy the mode enough.

(that said the BG ‘perks’ are too expensive for the small value they offer).

Do you have a reliable source for that?

My reliable source is “math.”

Triplicate protection is a very substantial effect.

So the answer is no.

1 Like

So the answer is yes.

It takes fewer packs to get all the cards as a result of triplicate protection. You can do the calculation yourself, I did.

No. Doing the math yourself is the exact opposite of using a reliable source. Triplicate protection has been in place since March. Weasel words are not the answer.

2 Likes

Yeah I used to always open 150+ packs, but now opening more than a 100 seems like total waste (of course with all the packs coming from various sources I still end up with 150+, but most of that goes to the rising dust pile).

Since I’m sitting on 40k dust, I’ll probably just open enough to get all rares this expansion, which is … only 60 packs.
Previously I almost always had rares missing after 150 packs opened, which was actually quite annoying. The triple protection was the best change ever.

Said by someone who doesn’t understand math.

There are no weasel words. If you can’t get triples of cards, and for every triple you would have gotten you instead get a card you don’t have yet, it MUST take fewer packs to get all of the cards.

This is irrefutable.

But Mand - Triplicate protection has been in place for most of this year. The ability of a player to get more of a set with triplicate protection has thus been established already with two expansions under the old system. The new system does not change the nature of that. A player could get 9,000 gold under the old system between expansions and with that gold they could get somewhere around 85%+ of the cards in a set. But under the new system the same amount of play/effort is likely to provide only around 5,000 to 6,000 gold … which is substantially less than what they could earn with the same amount of effort under the old system.

Blizzard’s excuse is that they are giving the player packs … but those packs are for OLD expansions which players already presumably have a lot of cards for. Opening packs for an old set becomes progressively less valuable until you are pretty much getting only 40 dust per pack as a general rule. Packs for new sets are much more valuable because you get a much higher return per pack until your collection saturates to the point where you are only missing Epics and Legendaries.

So a roughly 30% reduction in gold means that F2P players will indeed be getting less packs for new sets when they come out because their liquid resources will be lower. Unless they pay cash … which seems to be what Blizzard is aiming for.

4 Likes

The fact that your opinion is not a reliable source is indeed irrefutable. You are using weasle words cause you know that this system has been in place since March. Saying that someone does not understand math is the most childish thing I have read today. Try using facts, reliable sources and real arguments instead. Cause right now you are just arguing.

2 Likes