Congratulations! Hearthstone has officially "upgraded" to a battle pass system!

I think they said the new battle pass and the BG perks will be two separate passes. I haven’t seen a whisper on price for the new pass yet.

EDIT: I think there was a brand new hero mentioned as part of the paid battle pass. That would probably make the paid track a cash only purchase.

The big question is: How much experience can players expect to get and thus how far will each of us expect to go?

That is, indeed, the question that begs. I can earn between 9,000 to 10,000 gold in the current system every 4 months like falling off a log. All I have to do is log in 2 or 3 times a week … knock out the quests … get a few wins and sock away the gold. All put together it only takes 2-3 hours a week. I can almost roll my face on my phone and do it. Hopefully it doesn’t take massive amounts of time to level up to 50. Between the achievements, the dailies, and the weeklies it is to be hoped that pretty casual play can get to the 60-70 level range.

I was very skeptical about the pass, now it’s turned to optimism. I’ll go over the good and the bad.

Yes the trickle will still be there (mostly caused by ranked rewards), it is no myth, but that truth was really much more problematic when they released the old battle-pass rewards. You can see they have toned down when you receive the packs from level 97 in the previously suggested to 48. They have also increased the gold after lvl 50 significantly, so its clearly better than what was suggested before. Also subjective to how fast you can climb but I think they want you to be able to climb to 50 relatively fast, like for example within the first month whereas level 97 sounded like it would take on the upper limits of 4 months and you would still be receiving them until the release of the new set.

Yes it does suck to get packs from a set you don’t want, it takes your control away, but it is only like 6 and you can just conclude that this will be about 500 dust. But my actual concern was that you would receive too many packs from the latest set and this would cause an overflow in rares, also if you weren’t interested in the epics and legendaries that it had to offer, you could not do anything but accept it as forced onto you. The forced packs is down from like 17 packs to 6 which is a huge bonus. Packs from older standard sets is significantly reduced in the new values also, from like 14->6.

As far as gold trade off goes, I’m relatively okay receiving slightly less gold for the legendaries, so a legendary has a value between 400-1600 dust, given that 1/5 legendaries in the game are good, each legendary has a value of about 650 dust, so 700g or so value. [(1400g + 2700g +[150g x (level-50)], but I’m fairly optimistic that levels around 80-90 are achievable because I assume in the previously given values there were still packs at lvl 97 so I think they expect hardcore players to nearly obtain all of the packs, thus why after level 100 only 25g was being awarded per level, because they don’t want the distinction between hardcore and casual being too different.

To sum up, most of my concerns have been addressed with the changes they have made.

Making some assumptions,

• If we divide the 2700g/35lvls, we get about 70g per lvl.
  • If taking 70g per lvl, we can get 3500g by 50lvl.
  • If base on a guess of 9000g for gold accumulation of current players, the access of 5500g (and based on new 150g/lvl) would require the player to achieve another 36lvl.

While speculative, could maybe be a base for possible expectation of what is to come?

I’d like to know if Blizzard factored in their new 35 card mini-set releases into the equation. If they are saying the new battlepass system is more rewarding than the old system, but the old system didn’t have as frequent card releases, after you factor in the 35 card mini-sets assuming you need to invest to get some of those cards to be competitive in the meta, a player could wind up accruing less resources overall.

I think the best way to go in that regard is once you’ve gotten enough cards from the set to play what you want then don’t open any of the monthly reward or reward track paths of this set until the new mini set comes out then the duplicate protection will get you most of the cards from the new mini set. It sounded like there’d be very few legendary cards in the mini set based on how their dev explained the achievement system

Referencing to Aeg’s post, the 2700g is from the lvl1-25 and lvl41-50 combine? so there is no addition of 1500g. Your predicted 500-700 will still be equal to 70g/lvl or less, thus the estimate is ok, no?

A level is assumed to be 1200exp (if fixed) while referencing to examples(above), daily nets 1000exp while weekly net maybe 6000exp combined.

The 2700g is for levels 1-25 and 41-50.

There was an issue I didn’t notice when I first posted because the automatic list formatting in these forum posts renumbered the lines for 41-50 as 26-35. I fixed it when I noticed it, but I think you’d already seen and are working from the messed up version, Mada.

However, I don’t think it is quite as simple dividing the known gold by levels to produce an average. The gold awarded per level goes up over the course of the reward track from 100g to 200g and finally to 300g (up to level 50). And the number of levels that offer gold also seems to increase: levels 1-5 offer no gold at all, while there are three levels that offer gold each for every five-level page up to level 25, and the level 41-45 page gives gold from four of those levels. The level 46-50 page is the only one that seems to decrease with only two levels giving gold (but 300g each).

So, it’s likely that the missing levels will offer a bit more than a simple average of the available gold drops would indicate. I would guess it would likely be somewhere in the 3800g-4000g range. mada7’s guess of 4200 is likely the top-end of possibilities, but it could definitely happen if the three missing pages from levels 26-40 each have three gold rewards of 200g each.

Wow my bad. Thanks for the correction though. I’m gonna delete those posts so people don’t get confused.

1 Like

If lvl41-50 amount to 1500g, won’t it be unrealistic to project 3800-4000g for lvl26-40?

reference

Congratulations! Hearthstone has officially "upgraded" to a battle pass system! - #85 by Aegaeon-1787

If you look at the rewards we can see, the gold reward amounts increase over the course of the track. For levels 6-25, all the rewards are 100g. For 41-44, they are 200g. And for 45-50, they are 300g.

The questions for estimating gold rewards, then, are (1) when do the rewards shift from 100g to 200g, and (2) how many levels in the 26-40 range reward gold?

In the Hearthside Chat video, they did show either the 26-30 or the 31-35 page (I forget which), but they were highlighting the hero portrait, so the reward track itself was blurred enough that you couldn’t read the numbers or be certain which packs were given. But there were definitely three levels that gave gold and two packs on that page.

So, if we assume that there are three gold rewards per page in the 26-40 range, that would mean nine gold rewards total.

If the increase to 200g rewards happens right at level 26, that would give an additional 1800g from levels 26-40. If the increase happens at level 31, you would instead get an additional 1500g.

So, 3800-4000g just for 26-40 seems very high from what else we’ve seen. 1500g-1800g seems more likely. It could be a bit higher if I’m underestimating the number of levels that reward gold. Or a little lower if the increase to 200g rewards happens a bit later in the track.

Edit: Actually, thinking about those numbers, I think that mada7’s estimate of 4200g is actually a pretty safe guess. We might potentially see something closer to 4500g for the full track up to level 50.

• If base on a guess of 9000g for gold accumulation of current players, the access of 4500g (and based on new 150g/lvl) would require the player to achieve another 30lvl.

I am abit afraid to predict the effort required to achieve that 9000g mark, with reference to current…

1 Like

Which is kinda funny since I made that guess after misreading your post. In which case to get 6500 gold, which is roughly average for what I tend to get between expansions it’d take another 2300 gold which means I’d need to get to around level 65-66. That’d work out to a level every day and a half more or less between expansions

1 Like

How this works out is really going to depend on how much experience it takes to gain these levels and how much we’re actually going to earn.

2 Likes

We all know that. Just that the speculation stage, can be uneasy and unnerving for some as highlighted by some posts above.

Definitely.

I’m at at least somewhat optimistic, though. The way I see it, they’re probably not intending for reaching level 50 to be a giant struggle for most if not all of the player base. So, it’s likely to come partway through the expansion for players who do all their daily and weekly quests, play a lot, etc. Maybe somewhere around the halfway point, give or take a couple weeks.

Plus, they have explicitly said that the new track will provide as much and possibly more gold than the current system. And those statements don’t seem open to the sort of misreading that some other statements have come in for (e.g. “this is the highest level random card generation will be” converting to “there will be less RNG” in some players’ minds). So, I think that it’s likely that reaching level 80+ will be reasonably doable.

If you think about it, the current system potentially can give you over 18k per expansion if you complete all dailies and max out your win gold per day. (You’d probably have to be insane to do that, but it is possible.) So, potentially the system would have to extend up to level 140 or so to match that. While most players wouldn’t grind that much, it does seem likely that they intend dedicated players to be able to hit somewhere in the 80-100 range with a similar level of effort to what they’re doing under the current system.

1 Like

I agree much, with 1 point to add, which is the commitment (difference) as compared to now.
Beyond lvl50 could be the critical stage where some players will encounter problem.

As such I use a 9000g range for a casual-committed player as showcase.

9000g/4mth - ave 75g/day. Current players are able to achieve this with just ensuring clearing of daily quest.

Under the new system, to achieve 9000g/4mth, it may require more commitment than current which is the basis of some players’ concern.

True, but even that 75g/day shows that it came from more than just the quests.

At 50 or 60g per quest, that only yields somewhere between 6k and 7.2k per expansion. The rest of that comes from slowly accumulating 10g/3wins. To hit 9k gold, you need to average around 5 to 7 wins per day over the course of the expansion.

Since the new system is supposed to offer experience just for playing, if you’re already playing enough to get an average of 5 to 7 wins a day, then you should be getting comparable gains from the experience you’ll receive by playing that amount in the new system.

Something else I noticed (that I’m shocked I didn’t pick up on before) is that the current expansion is shortened. The new expansion should be dropping in December. As such, my gold total will be smaller than my typical 9000 at the drop date, probably somewhere around 6700 gold. I’m ok with that, but it also means that the new expansion will project to be 5 months long, not the usual 4 months. As such, our gold expectation must be increased by 25% to compensate for the added month or earnings. So instead of 9000+ gold being the target, it needs to be 11,250+ gold.

Now maybe this early drop date for Darkmoon is just a nice little bonus. But it’s possible that they’ve done this to give more time for the new system to deliver more gold. Well, let’s not let that fool us. If you earned 9000/4mo, you should be getting a minimum of 11,250/5mo. That’s the target.

2 Likes

or it may not…
75g/day is quite realistic as we occasionally have a few games + bonus from better quest, etc.

As some relies on quest/time management and achieve their target via solely casual/ladder. (fast games)
The new system will disrupt with new quests spread into ‘slower’ modes such as BG, brawl, Duels, etc.

While we certainly will gain exp, that exp does not directly equate to gold. (spread between gold, skin, packs)

Thus, if the player is solely interested with gold, then the commitment to achieve his/her target is a cause of concern.

1 Like