Congratulations! Hearthstone has officially "upgraded" to a battle pass system!

Dunno 'bout the rest of you, but this might just be the thing that gets me to retire to BGs only officially.

A few snippets from the article for better understanding:

The Reward Track is a map of rewards that can be earned during an expansion by gaining experience (XP) from completing Quests, completing select achievements, and playing the game in any mode. When a new expansion launches, all players will get a new Reward Track for that expansion. Complete all 50 levels on the Reward Track and you’ll get to choose from one of 10 all-new Hero Skins! Along the way, you’ll unlock a bevy of loot, including card packs from sets in Standard, Tavern Tickets that grant access to either Arena or Duels, the Madness at the Darkmoon Faire Card Back, an Epic card, two Legendary cards, and a ton of gold! You’ll receive 150 gold for every level you climb beyond level 50.

The Reward Track includes a free track for all players, and a paid track that can be unlocked by purchasing the Tavern Pass. Purchasing the Tavern Pass at any point during the expansion will immediately grant the Golden Silas Darkmoon Legendary card, a 10% XP Boost that lasts for the duration of the expansion, and all items up to your current level on the free track.

9 Likes

Other than the golden leggo, the paid pass is just cosmetics and a slight boost to leveling speed.

The gold and pack resources are still contained in the free track.

20 Likes

The problem isn’t what is and isn’t contained in the free or the paid pass, it’s about migrating to a battle pass system at all. I highly suspect the resources that are being currently generated in the game will be cut lower. I’ll have to see the opposite with my own eyes to believe it.

8 Likes

maybe he just cares about cosmetics …a bit too much

1 Like

you cant use logic. you have to read “battle pass”, make a reference to activision, and then threaten to quit the game.

the fact that they explicitly addressed the community concerns are irrelevant :slight_smile:

this was literally the first thing they addressed when presenting the system revamp

7 Likes

I too am skeptical about the battle pass system.

I have 1 demand, and if it’s met it’s fine, but otherwise it’s a straight nerf: with Brawl rewards and 50G missions each day, you get a minimum of 19 packs a month, 18 on February. I’m not taking into account 60G+ missions, 10G every 3 wins, and Brawls being every 30/31 days rather than 28 days except on February, so rounding it up to 20 per month is fair (in reality it’s more).

So my demand for the pass is for it to give 20 packs worth of reward per month if you play 2 games per day (50G missions are easily completed in 1 single game so I’m generous) and win each Brawl. 4 of those packs worth of reward can be Blizzard-chosen packs (like how you can’t choose your Brawl reward), the other 16 needs to be in gold (so, 1600 gold). If the pass gives less, it’s a nerf. Substitutions are fair if it’s extra (ex. 2 packs of the newest expansions instead of 100 gold for 1 pack).

5 Likes

The gold legendary is cosmetic as well, since Non-golden is available for free.

3 Likes

Did they, though?

It’s easy to say “We’re not taking away the gold you can earn.”. Yes, of course there will be gold rewards in the battle pass. How much gold, however? We’re shown a snippet of levels from 41 to 45 - so 5 levels (10% of all) that contain a total of 900 gold. On the website you see that the snippet of levels 1-5 contains no gold at all. Considering they’ll be adding packs (from all standard sets, not just the latest one), cards, and tavern tickets, how much gold will there actually be in the battle pass?

For comparison, the current system allows a player to earn, let’s say, 60 gold per day (60g quests are very common and 50g quests are balanced out by event quests) In 4 months that’s 120 days x 60g = 7200 gold. A pretty reasonable amount, especially if you save it all up for the new expansion as most people do.

And there’s also another thing that needs to be considered - the tavern pass levels increase in xp requirements progressively. If reaching level 4 of the pass requires 1200 exp, how much exp will reaching level 40 require? Can we expect every player to max out the battle pass levels consistently? Battle passes are usually structured in such a way that requires a lot of in game activity to fully complete. If you don’t play the game for that many hours, chances are you’ll be missing out on the gold.

I know this all requires critical thinking, but as demanding as that it, let’s not just go by the “but they promised the gold will still be there!” narrative or we just might miss some important details.

Oh, and also…

is not the same as “retire to BGs”. Please. At least make an effort to read with comprehension.

5 Likes

IMO, it looks to me that the amount of gold I will have at start of expansion will be greatly diminished, which means less packs up front

2 Likes

you still have daily quests that grants exp, you get exp from playing the game (now in EVERY mode), you also have the new weekly quests that grants exp, you also get exp from achievements

If they weren’t trying to extract additional dollars why would they change the system? I am highly suspicious of the changes.

While I understand that they may have absolutely been truthful that it is possible to obtain the same or greater rewards with the new system, I suspect it will take significantly more time to earn equivalent rewards.

5 Likes

Oh, how I wish for your optimism!

Look, if they did, in fact, make it so that I, a regular player with two separate accounts, get to actually accumulate more in game resources than I currently do, I would be extremely happy and will have every reason to praise them.

I’ve just seen one too many battle passes to harbour such hope.

2 Likes

if you buy the pass you get extra cosmetics, and you get more exp. after you reach lvl 50 you get 150 gold for each extra level so with exp boost you can quite easily rack up extra gold. and if you dont play much then you dont need the pass and can still get all rewards simply by doing quests has you have been before.

how about you watch the presentation about the battle pass and read the article instead of watching other games failed attempts and assuming thats what will happend to hs?

Because from everything I’ve written so far it’s absolutely clear and obvious that I didn’t watch and read, I imagine? :rofl:

4 Likes

So you are saying that one quest a day will be 50-60 gold per day? I suspect that this system won’t come close to that.

Especially since they are already telling you that they are giving you other rewards like passes to modes most people don’t play instead of cash. Especially since the amount of XP from quests is stable, but the amount of XP to level varies.

Until we get a chance to work with the new system, it will be hard to see what the answer is, but based on my experience I am 100% certain player satisfation wasn’t driving the changes.

2 Likes

uhm, “based on your own experience” the only thing you really do time after time is to fill this forum with toxic comments… :thinking:

1 Like

Yes, let’s launch an unprovoked ad hominem about toxic comments without any irony. :thinking:

Did you have a counter to the idea that what used to be gold is now tavern passes and that levels take more experience but quests stay the same?

3 Likes

Is the XP required to go up a level fixed or does it increase exponentially with each level?

If the XP required stays at 1200 like shown in the stream, grinding gold shouldn’t be a problem with this new system.

But if beyond level 50 you need to gain 147854512 XP to go up a level and get your 150 gold reward it’s dumb.

And how much gold do you gain across the 50 level track? What was the info from the leaks again? Around 5k gold?

3 Likes

As a free to play guy, I see this as an improvement

i am just astounded by the amount of people that have “opinions” about it without watching the reveal stream nor reading the article about it. but i guess thats forum trolls for ya.