Confirm how the mulligan works?

Hi! I was hoping a Blizzard dev could confirm how the mulligan works, just because it seems to be a source of confusion here.

My understanding is, the sequence is:

1. You choose which cards you don’t want; they’re set aside.
  2. You’re dealt replacements from the deck; the replacements can’t be the specific cards you just dropped.
  3. The cards you set aside are put in the deck, the deck is shuffled, then the first player draws their first card.

So… If I have two Stormwind Champions in my deck, and one of them was in my mulligan (and I drop it), I might get the other one as a replacement.

If I have Deathwing in my mulligan and I drop it, I will not get it back as a replacement… but if I go first, there’s a 1/27 chance that Deathwing will be the first card I draw after the mulligan (so it’ll end up in my opening hand after all).

Is that right? I found a tweet from Ben Brode that seems to say as much, and this is what I’ve always heard. But I keep running across players who swear blind that they’ve mulliganed cards and gotten the same card back as a replacement. So it’d be great to have a clear statement here.

Thanks much!

5 Likes

Nope. OFTEN you get the very same card(s) you pitched away right back. No its my opinion that when you start game it loads up run auto program sequence 66. Then the next time you play auto program sequence 33. Why else would get the same cards back when you try to mulligan except they want the game to run certain way?

2 Likes

Confirmed so many times that I lost count years ago.

You can get the cards you mulligan back into your hand.
I’ve frequently gotten legendaries and high cost cards that I have one of in my deck back into my hand when trying to mulligan them to something else.

1 Like

I’m sat here wondering what possible difference it makes to anyone.

What possible difference what makes?

The OP of course.
What possible difference does it make to anyone how the mulligan works? It’s not as though you can make any use whatsoever out of knowing.

Can’t believe this is still talked about years later, and still lied about years later by people who think opinions are fact.

OP, yes that is exactly how it works. Its has been tested multiple times with not a single person EVER being able to show video proof of recieving the card you mulligan’d, even when a website offered a monetary reward for anyone to provide them with one. No video exists to this day (unless im mistaken, in which i would love to see it) of this “commonplace” event of getting back the cards you mulligan.

You will find that a lot of people on these forums claim scenarios that happen multiple times a day during they playtime, yet video evidence is apparently impossible to capture. Its always been entertaining.

Truth is, Most people just confuse getting the first draw of the game as “getting the card you mulligan’d” back. Or they just dont really know what a mulligan is shrug.

11 Likes

Yes. But it can be a second copy of the card you set aside which is technically a different card. Easily checked if you put one golden and one plain copy into your deck. Those who swear just have no golden variants.

1 Like

Yes this understanding is correct. Anyone who say otherwise won’t be able to show a hsreplay or video proof.

That’s what I thought, but I’d love it if Blizzard would say so here! It won’t convince the conspiracy theorists but at least we’d have a clear statement to point to.

And this guy is lying to you. Note all the people who have written it happened to them LOTS of times.

No Video? Who is going to run their screen capture every time they play to do this? Where can you post it? Not here. You have to snag your way to level approval to add pictures, video etc.

When you put it here for proof, there is the constant pro Blizzard fanbase that deny any and all slightly negative things or constructive criticism about Hearthstone.

So the OP will discover playing, when it does happen to him or her and it will, that yep - you can Mulligan and hey, I got the same cards back? What are the odds of that?!

The only there there is no proof on, only long time experience, is how the game is coded to work.

You mean all the liars or people who just aren’t paying attention when they draw it on turn 1.

You know HSReplay is a thing, right? It even works on Android. And it records mulligans and cards drawn.

There are millions of recorded games. Yet you somehow believe that nobody has ever managed to record it occurring once, even though you also believe that this is a common occurrence.

4 Likes

You can be the first! Shouldn’t be hard if it happens all the time. Share a link to a YouTube video, that’s allowed to almost everyone — I’ve done it here myself.

Nimbai is also notorius for spewing nonsene. Been doing it for years on the other forum.

I wonder if he still spam posts every thread on the forums with play by plays of his “RNG rigged” games, even if the topics had nothing to do with RNG.

I would advertise taking literally everything he says with a grain of salt.

2 Likes

Mulligan (1),(2),(3). Then I say “Now I know how to count.”:grin:

I suspect it’s not even that. I bet most of the time, it’s people mulliganing cards and getting back cards that are no better for an opening hand, so they vaguely remember it as “I got back the same junk I dropped”. And the tale grows in the telling, so by the time they’re on the forums, it’s “I mulliganed Ysera and I got back two copies of Ysera and they just sat there and laughed at me. They LAUGHED!”

1 Like

Dozens of streamers on Twitch, tens of thousands (probably even more) games uploaded on YouTube. And then there are the countless people playing with an addon that records to hsreplay.net.

You can post screenshots to sites such as imgur.com, videos to youtube.com or siimilar, and hsreplay.net already provides you with a link.
You can use the “preformatted text” button (</>) to include links.

Post one link. One is enough to conclusively prove that you can get mulligan’ed cards back.

Sometimes I will build a deck with no duplicates. I have had a mulligan return when only one was in the deck. Proving this is not a life mission for me. People on the forums who endlessly dispute the experiences of others are an odd lot of trolls.

Which makes it most likely that you got it back on the first draw, not the mulligan.

2 Likes