Choosing Class to Main

I’m sure this has been asked a million times … but I’m new to HS and my personality is to become very proficient at a couple of classes vs enjoying the variety of many classes. I’m only at apprentice 20, but I’m enjoying Paladin, Warrior, and DH. Seems like midrange is my “style”. I think I’d like decks that are complex (and make you think … strategy) vs those that are basic and straight forward. Not looking for a debate, just opinions and guidance for someone new to HS. Appreciate any thoughts of what class(es) I should focus on? Thank you in advance …

Priest and mage are bad choices because they are frequently neutered.

It’s impossible to know what will be good in the next expansion and beyond, so it’s really hard to tell someone what classes are good choices.

3 Likes

Don’t.

This isn’t like a RPG where you just can effectively focus on one class without much trouble. If you do something drastic like disenchant off-class cards, then you’ll be at a huge loss if you ever want to try those in the future.

Which is important, because the character of classes changes with each expansion, and even more so when cards rotate out and the Core set changes. A class that you like today may be completely different later, and one that you don’t like might get a new deck style that is really compelling.

Let your collection grow, and you’ll naturally fall into patters you enjoy. But don’t force anything.

9 Likes

Thank you for the reply … not really looking for classes that will be “good in the future. More looking for classes that fit my personality. Complex, strategic, make you think, use combinations … build towards mid game? Appreciate your thoughts?

1 Like

The point I am trying to get across is that whatever that answer is today may be wrong in the next expansion, so choosing a class instead of list is bad.

Classes get new mechanics and deck types each expansion, which can dramatically alter what they can and can’t do or the style of play. For example, paladins used to have a fast murloc deck, but now they don’t and warlock/shaman have murlocs.

The point is building a broad collection and ignoring the picture on the hero is usually the best way to enjoy a collection game like this one.

3 Likes

You almost certainly cannot go wrong with Paladin. Paladin has been consistently good for a long time.

6 Likes

Except I hate the current paladin decks, lol. /shrug

I played more paladin than anything else for almost three years, but haven’t played more than ten games with it this expansions.

I hate mech paladin and holy is not my jam.

I still don’t have a deck I like to play in this expansion, so I haven’t.

1 Like

Tip: Your going Main multiple classes because if Main one all it takes one bad year for you to quite Rank for an entire year till class get love again.

Example: I used main Warlock only then one bad year i stop play warlock for 2 years.

3 Likes

My advice is to main two classes, when rogue is bad i main druid.

But i will say rogue typically is one of the more complex classes in the game.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply … I think I’d like Rogue. Does the RNG reduce the strategic element (luck over strategy)? Thank you for the opinion … definitely going to experiment more with Rogue

Rogue is not a class for everyone it toke me a very long time to be proficient with it.

In Hearthstone long history its the most skill heavy, regardless of that pick what you like the most.

Heres some tips about the classes:
Hunter and Demon Hunter take the less time and dust to play, Paladin is almost always good and consistent, Warrior and Druid take a lot of dust to play on average, Mage and Priest have many fun things to play with but attract hate like magnets and Warlock and Shaman are classes that are either very strong or weak at all times.

1 Like

Again, thank you for the reply. I think I’ll play around with Rogue and Druid. I enjoy Paladin but gets a little boring?

when i started to play i let rng from pack pulls decide my class…

thats how i have over 3500 wins with druid and only 335 with hunter

dont disenchant to craft from any class until find out which class is closer to what you like play

and never
never use the mass disenchant button you may end up missing dust from refunds they give when they nerf cards
after each nerf patch do a search with the word “refund”

1 Like

Thank you for the reply. I’m going to give Druid a try. I like the “options” that comes with many of the cards. BTW … I have not disenchanted any cards

If ya need any advice and play in north america server, add me mogkupopo#11975

2 Likes

Maining a class is one of the worst things you can do in this game, unless you have no cards and therefore forced to play one class.

It doesn’t make much sense to restrict yourself to one class when there’s 10.

2 Likes

:rofl:

Mostly this.

But I’d go even further, and say that even if you have no cards and are forced to build only one deck, don’t pick it off of flavor or some kind of class preference. Instead, choose the most overpowered flavor of the month deck you can, and use it to earn more rewards so you’re prepared when the flavor of the month inevitably changes.

Trying to force your will upon the meta is a fool’s errand. Instead let the meta imprint itself upon your will. Go with the flow and things are easier. Research before you act.

I only have one deck in the game and it is a paladin deck, I like it, but I don’t play the “pvp card game” side of this so I only used it once in the past few years.

2 Likes

Main the two classes with ‘Hunter’ in their names and you’ll always have at least one top tier deck to play.

2 Likes