Can't open Hearthstone android

The game thinks there is an update, all the time, even when there isn’t, on android. It has made it that I can no longer play on break at work. All other games work fine.
I have tried with work WiFi on and on cellular data only. When I get to slightly better cellular signal it asked me if I want to download the update on cellular data, I say yes and it confirms I want to download the 0kb update. Which obviously instantly downloads as there isn’t really an update.
I used to be able to play at work, but around 3 weeks ago this issue arrived after I presume they changed something and now it is impossible for me to get past the Hearthstone logo. Help please, lunch is ruined!

1 Like

Uninstall and reinstall, should fix the issue for you

Hi there LEWI5777,

If the uninstall and reinstall does not work as TyYourShoes said, the next thing to do is check the app store you are using. Most of the time on Android we assume Google Play store is being used, is that the case here?

/Nathardrick

Hi, I have uninstalled and reinstalled. And done the latest update since the new expansion went into the store. And yes Google play store was used.
Worked OK on this phone an few weeks ago, now constantly wants to download make believe updates.

LEWI5777,

Let’s try this. First, ensure you restart your phone, and then clear the application cache. You can do this from the settings, but how to do so varies based on your android version and we don’t have steps for all of them. It’ll be something like “Apps&Notifications” or “Application Manager”. You’ll want to look it up online to find it.

Now, find Hearthstone in the list, click it, and look in the storage options to find the “Clear Cache” option. This is not removed on an uninstall/reinstall.

Any luck with that? If not, do you run any security apps on your phone?

Hi, I tried that a week or so ago and it didn’t do anything. No security apps.
It seems quite a strange one as soon as I open the app it immediately has the black text box at the bottom of the screen, with the silver outline, saying it can download the update in the background. It then says error: failed to get the update please check the network connection. Then it forces the app to close.
My cellular isn’t great at work but worked well enough for hearthstone before, and any other game on my phone currently. I have also tried with the work WiFi connected.

Just to confirm, do you only have problems while on your work wifi? Are you able to play at home on the same device?

Hi, I have the exact same problem. It works on WiFi but not on mobile. But I really need it on mobile.

hi after 2days of playing this game it started the same problem in my android phone, it said update but no downloading occurs, then was able to login once but after a while said I got disconnected, ever since then it kept saying downloading but no download and stuck at the first screen, so I read forums and tried uninstall install and now its just stuck at “Blizzard” screen and not downloading anything and after several minutes says “app is not responding”. I am using android phone (oneplus5) and tried using wifi network and mobile data network, basically tried all I saw in here forums but all solution I saw was “suddenly working” so I hope mine also goes “suddenly working” when I post this or if there are any solutions I could do to play the game would be highly appreciated, thank you.

I can play at home. But the point is I could play at work 3 weeks ago. I think they changed something, probably for their security, where it runs some kind of check and makes you do a 0kb update. It didn’t do this before but now does and I can no longer play at work as I could before the 0kb update became a thing. I can’t make this any clearer.

That’s my assumption as well, which is why I wanted to clarify. If you’re only having this problem on your work network, it’s likely a firewall issue. You should reach out to your network admin and see if there was a change when you started having problems. I’d also forward our firewall configuration article in case it’s just a port block.

Beyond that though, we can’t help any further with this unfortunately. :< Business networks frequently get security updates and ultimately it’s on your network admin to help you work around them if a change they make prevents connection to a game server. It may be intentional.

Would the amazon app store version be different? Would a vpn help? Not sure about vpn as would it effect an app? Or is there anyway to download the desktop version on a phone? Running out of ideas!

The Amazon App Store version is fairly the same from Google Play, just the currency and payment options would differ. If there is a mobile app VPN option, it’s worth trying, but it is important to point out that this does not bypass the Local Network. You should check with the network admin if this is okay prior to proceeding.

Depending on the application, it should apply to Hearthstone when connecting. There is no ability to download the desktop version on a phone. Android uses apk files, while computers will use executable files or application files which is not compatible for mobile devices.

As mentioned though, if this only happening on the work network, it would be advised to reach out the network admin, and check the firewall or ports settings. Alternatively, if you have the mobile data available, this is an option to use while at work.

18 posts were split to a new topic: New patch not available on mobile