Battlegrounds: Tips

New season released, it has huge changes so obv meta and gameplay changed aswell
I’ve seen a lot of complains about Battlegrounds lately but I’m personally having fun so I made this thread where ppl can share tips they’re using to play better now
I’ll start: Delay tavern upgrades, at least the 1st one. Buddies are winning the games now, so what you wanna do is get them as fast as possible, this is only doable via winning matches and delaying upgrades a bit to get better early control will do the thing

Delaying tavern upgrades is bait. Most builds demand t5/t6 minions, and delaying tavern tiers is a one way ticket to 5th place. You’ll perform well at first, and then fall behind.
Winners prioritize tavern upgrades while simultaneously high rolling strong builds.

Do it correctly
I’ve finished 1st-3rd every single game since update came out

At higher MMR this will probably not work. Here’s my tip: Menagerie.

What do you mean by Menagerie?

The Menagerie, also known as The Cage. Star Trek The Original Series two-parter episode. Uses footage from the original pilot of the show that didn’t have any of the actual show’s characters except for Mr Spock. (who was portrayed very differently than the way portrayed in the actual show). First appearance of Captain Pike.

Oh you mean in bgs, menagerie is a term for a collection of mismatched tribes instead of a homogenous tribe build. So instead of all dragons, it might have 1 of each tribe available and a couple neutral ones. Or any combination really that doesnt result in more than 2 of any given tribe on the board for you.

2 Likes

Live long and prosper.

Honestly, there’s a wide range of minions that work well with the “mixed minions” idea. The teacups are obvious examples, t6 teamaster, the t5 quilboar that buffs different minions when you hit it with blood gems, Lich Doctor helps buff literally any board, t5 2/2 that gives +2/+2 to all minion types…
I love the idea of doing it, but it’s rare to find the pieces to make such things work.

1 Like

That only works well with buddies that steal cards, your might be still t1 but your copying there t5 minion.

Best 1st minion, assuming you cant steal for 2.

Something you can sell for 2g, or gives 1 free gold, or a deathrattle/reborn.

Worst 1st minion, nothing at all, or your first minion of your chosen tribe.

I am completely lost by what you are saying. There are some parts of the sentences missing to make those make any sense. Im sure it makes clear and perfect sense to you, but Im not a mind reader, just a regular word reader lol. and there just aint enough of them there to get across what you mean there.

uau tips in a game that literally requires 0 skill just curveplay. The award for literally the most useless topic ever goes to imbis

The best builds I’ve seen with the most success have been Menagerie with three minions and a combo of Fort/Teamaster and a floater (for the space between turns). That isn’t to say purebred builds aren’t successful, but I’d argue you’ll need a good economy hero and some good luck with your shops. Arguably, this meta is fairly highroll in general.

But Menagerie is definitely stronger now given all the mixed minion types outside an “All” minions.

I think he is saying your first minion should have utility beyond stats, and your tribe preference should be of little concern. This is a tip you would give to a new player or a short bus rider. Basic strategy. No real insight there when matches often shake out on turn 3 or 4. Turn 1 tips: If you need these with a 5k+ MMR, you should consider uninstalling. Turn 3/4 tips: Get an overpowered Buddy, ???, profit.

With regards to “no minion”, Deck Swabby is often held in hand and played on turn 2.

I can’t think of any useful tips with this meta. Except maybe delay upgrades if you’re playing Aranna or Scabs. Rush to buy a Buddy with these clowns. There are other Buddies that should be rushed, but perhaps not quite so desperately. Buddy power level is all over the place, and frankly many of them, while perhaps useful, are just…boring.

Oopsie:

I meant Tess, not Aranna.

That wasnt necessary. it really just shows the kind of punching down person you seem to be. Not a good look to be broadcasting.

Again, punching down. You arent being helpful. Just backhanded insults. No one asked for your particular opinion if it was gonna be punching down all the time.

2 Likes

You misunderstood. Someone gave you turn 1 tips. My point is that turn 1 tips are useless to anyone already invested in the game.

that’s an opinion, and you can feel its true if that what you think. But unless you are omniscient, I doubt you know what is of value to everyone everywhere at all stages of “investment into the game” they might be.

I didnt misunderstand that your use of the term short bus means you think less of people that are disabled, or live far away from their school with few others to warrant the longer bus. You seem to be of the mindset that people less skilled than you are somehow disabled and therefore not worth helping in any way.

Classy.

edit: first game I made it to tier 6 since the buddies update. got eliminated at 6th place tho. biggest elemental I was able to make was a 22/16… I only encountered one buffing elemental the whole game. not the normal one from tier 2, not the high tier one from 4, I did eventually run across the lil ragnaros looking one from tier 5. But again not one single natural golden minion the whole match (i did get a golden buddy, lasted 3 rounds) and not a single tier 6 minion ever showed up. Not just talking elementals, of any variety. 3 whole turns as rank 6. not a single tier 6, not a repeat of anything to buy a triple within those turns. but my opponent has a full board of all golden minions, 2 huge huge golden elemental murlocs in their 150/150s+. was so unfair

I apologize for triggering you. Do you really think I might be omniscient? Thank you.

The rest I didn’t read, too long.

You can get to 5k without making the absolute best turn 1 plays. In fact, I’d argue 5k is the point where you really should consider looking at how you play, including turn 1, if you intend to push further up.

This was completely unnecessary and not helpful

1 Like

Here’s an open question for some tips.

When playing as the Naga lady hero, the one with the power that unlocks after your board’s attack power reaches like 30 or something.

Before reaching tier 5 or 6, how do you get your Naga to scale up in a permanent way? I know they have the red one that keeps the first one played on it that turn, but how do you get other naga that generate the useful spellcrafts to scale up from turns 1 thru 10? (essentially Tiers 1 thru 4).

Only thing I can figure is hope that quilboar are in the lobby, and the only other thing is the super rare and oh so lucky if you find one, the amalgam minion and pile on every spellcraft you can that increases stats and sell it off. I just played a match as her and I didnt once encounter the taunt giving naga nor any other taunt giving minion. But I was offered the scaler that gives all taunt minions +2/+2 like nearly every refresh. But dang, never once got a taunter.