Battlegrounds: Mechs need a rework!

I would love to see a rework to Mechs.

I would argue right now they are one of the lowest power and least unique tribes in battlegrounds, as they just lack a their own identity and any kind of scaling with a lot of their best minions also being good for other tribes or mixed boards, potentially more so than Mechs.

When it comes to Divine shield no one does it better than dragons, while Holy Mecherel can lead to a fun and even strong board once in every thirty games a lot of the time it becomes Annoy-O-Module spam and praying they can’t Leeroy or Windfury your Mecherel(s) and as the only method of scaling is Greasebot which is too slow to keep up with anything like Elementals, Murlocs, Dragons or even Undead.

Resummon has been taken over by Undead with Demons and Beasts shortly behind, what will end up happening is similar to Holy Mecherel only this time with Deflect-O-Bot. With the star of the show being Omega Buster … a slightly worse Goldrinn with 50% of your games not even having a Macaw to trigger it additional times.

On top of this, with the loss of Kaboom Bot, Mechs have next to no early game outside Pupbot as Micro Mummy doesn’t feel good and will lose or draw to most other tier one minions. Meanwhile Harvest Golem and Leaper have a similar issue of being on par or just worse than most minions of their tier leading them to struggle to get off the ground to begin with.

To add insult to injury, Mecha-Jaraxxus is better suited to Demons than Mechs despite giving Magnetic units as Demon benefit from summoning Demons to scale with Ur’zul and Bigfernal wheras Mechs have no incentives to cycle minions. While talking about Magnetic, Wargear has to be perhaps the single worst unit in the entire game, giving +5/+5 and nothing else with little to no way to increase that buff and requiring an empty space it begs asking why it even exists.

So, how do we fix this? Well I have two ideas.

1. Magnetic but better: Magnetic is the main thing Mechs have that nothing else does right now, if there is concern for people to be starved for Mechs mid-late game as most the Magnetics are gone perhaps reworking so that when a unit is magnetized a copy is put back into the shop would be a work around like how Murlocs can cycle so easily as they sell the battlecry once they’re done with it. You can have an early unit that gets +1/+1 whenever something gets magnetized, a mid game unit that gains doubled stats from the a unit that magnetizes onto it and a tier 6 that at the end/beginning of your turn will magnetize the Mech left of it onto itself.

2. Booming: What are people’s favorite Mechs to play? The ones that explode. So why not have more? Kaboom bot was always fun to play with and use unique ways to make it explode as much as possible and since the addition of Dr.Boombox people are doing the same with this unit too. They don’t have to be just deathrattles either, Mechano-tank was a tier 4 Mech that would deal 5 damage to the highest health enemy minion on an Avenge 2. While other tribes can do small amounts of poke damage here and there like with Red Whelp having Mechs focus and doing multiple pokes would be a unique and fun way to play. They can even have Mechs similar to Nerubian Deathswarmer and Anub Arak but instead of giving +1 attack they instead make Mechs do +1 damage when they shoot and explode.

This is just a thought and I’m open to opinions and criticism or if anything needs further explanation or elaborations.

They should make the attack gains from mechs dying permanent, and add an extra minion that can take advantage, as well as another minion that can magnetize and drop mech tokens. More magnetize is a definite must.

Nobody tell him about the secret mr.boombox board that wins all games.

3 Likes

Mechs are the 2nd best tribe in BGs next to Menagerie. I’m guessing you weren’t aware.

3 Likes

I never see anyone play them honestly. Its either undead, undead, or undead, or beasts.

Do you have a source for this? I have barely seen them in any games aside from the occasional Mr.Boombox board which hardly uses any Mechs aside from itself. They still have a terrible early game having the least amount of tier 1 and 2 minions, none of which particularly want to stay on the board with the rare exception of a Pupbot that’s had one too many buffs.

Yes, I have HSReplay subscription and have the stats. I can screenshot if you wish.

Menagerie is tier 1.
Then, top of tier 2 is Mechs.

1 Like

Mechs are more common in lobbies where the players are good. I am not shocked people don’t know how effective they are right now.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m in the 6k bracket, not the greatest but not terrible. I go mechs or beasts.

Also, if I know I’m not gonna get 1st or 2nd, I’ll go demons. They are great mid game and suck late game.

1 Like

Saw dog play some random half exodia 2adys ago… He was third. but I like dogdog.

https ://www.twitch.tv/videos/1778116954
2.50 boombox and kangors … nzoth.

Is this for all players or players over a certain rating as I don’t see any quantifier.

It’s:

1. All players
  2. Top 50% of players
  3. Top 20% of players

Where Mechs are 2nd best next to Menagerie.

The other tribes vary a little in the top 20% (Murlocs and Dragons switch)

So, overall, Menagerie IS the best build and Mechs are THE 2nd best, no matter where you play.

The picture I showed specifically is top 50% of players, but for purposes of showing Mechs are great it wouldn’t matter which one I showed because they are always 2nd best.

1 Like

Do you have numbers on which Mechs get played?

yes. Would you like the break down per turn or range of turns?

Here’s an example:

Turn 8 onwards as I’d call that the mid-late game

Also, where are Naga and Undead on this?

2 Likes

This is what I’m talking about, when it comes to brass tax it all goes back to Dr. Boombox.

He’s definitely really good. Combined with Rivendare he’s awesome.

But this is what I’m talking about, if Mechs have the most success playing explode boards, people have fun playing explode boards and explode boards are good, why not transform Mechs into a tribe about shooting and exploding?