Battlegrounds: Remove Dr. Boombox

I played in a lobby yesterday in which the top 3 of us were doing mechs. I was playing as millificent. Some loser tried using boom box with double kangors and the double deathrattles. Don’t think so buddy!
That player came second, and I got my first place finish with Millie for the first time. I had all mechs with replicators on all of them and a triple of the shielded mech dragon, triple mechrel, triple reflect o bot ….didn’t need the same Jank that is being spammed in order to be successful.

this reminds me of the homebrew thread, and while yes you dont need it to win, it does win a lot

4 Likes

I would like to see Reaper moved to 5 as well as Kalecgos. Moving Reaper to 4 seems scary even with toned down stats as you can easily magnetize it to a crazy level far to early in the game. Hydra at 4 is fine as it take some luck or an extreme situation to buff that minion.

Players are getting smarter at playing around the Box now that they are used to seeing it just like Leapers. Unless you can get a golden baron and some Golden boxes it’s not that OP especially late game. Each time i win out a lobby with the Box i have goldened a Box early and hit barons to just ratchet up their damage output.

This is a jawdroppingly bad suggestion.

2 Likes

what if they set its stats to 0/1?

deep sigh

I can’t post images, even in quotes, but maybe it’ll let me link to a post of someone who can.

I hope that works.
Here’s the point, more or less

• Tier 1: Menagerie
  • Tier 1.5: Mechs, Dragons, Murlocs
  • Tier 2: Demons, Beasts, Elementals, Pirates?
  • Tier 3: Pirates?, Naga
  • Below, missing: Undead, Quillboar

Dragons do NOT need buffing. I don’t know if I’d go so far as to say that they need nerfing, but something like Kalegos to 5 is right out.

Buffing Foe Reaper in any way is even worse. It’s essentially a Menagerie minion.

2 Likes

One, buddies can’t be balanced like you want it to be. Some buddies need time to build stats and others cheat the economy from the start. They are never going to be close.

Two, this level of imbalance is intended behavior. How do I improve my chances in the BG? Well I get one of those imba heroes! And how do I improve my chances of landing imba hero? I pay blizzard my money. They profit from imbalance and as such have zero reasons to fix it.

I think you’ve maybe smoked your breakfast.

Last I checked constructed gets new cards tomorrow, which sort of indicates a lack of death.

But I think BG is much more interesting and popular than all the other modes that are not constructed (arena, duels, mercs, taverbrawls, solo contents, etc.). I haven’t seen data on how much they make on their pass, but if it was as bad as mercs they would have already mothballed the mode like they’ve done with duels buckets and mercs.

I dont know how many passes they sell for BG. My guess is that it is in the order of 100k totall for all regions combined. They make money on BG but not huge amounts.

With letting it die i meant more the gameplay. Letting the gameplay die to maximize the monetization.
Which typically is done towards the end of a product cycle.

Excuse me for the slight offtopic, but I have always wondered: how does people make menagerie work for it to be considered tier 1 almost always? I am not really good at Bgs and I only play the mode occasionally; but every time I try to run a menagerie build I get giga stomped. I never seem to get the menagerie buffing minions, and all the big payoff menagerie stuff is high tier; so by the time I start setting up a board that makes sense I have been mercilessly beaten to death.

It’s because of the combination of poison and divine shields mixed with massive stats. The one minion that gains divine shield with poison for each minion type is a big player. Value trades and usually aoe effects from reaper usually play a part as well.

2 Likes

balls peggyl … cleaves… poison… shields ,.theotarrr… queen… leroy ?

2 Likes

Here’s my humble opinion. You don’t aim for a build so to say. I don’t know what turns you’re thinking you’ll do menagerie, but I’ve found myself with much more success when I let the shop do the talking. Of course, this all depends on what pool and what Heroes are in the lobby including your own. If your team is strong enough to take on menagerie and survive, like you’re getting to your lightfangs, your Teamasters etc. maybe menagerie is the way, but at this point you’re saying these minions will scale together minus one or two supports while also considering you may have to cut something from your board to make room. Teamaster techinically requires two slots, one for him and the other for the non-tribe minions to be played.

1 Like

Kalec at 6 makes him functionally worthless unless you manage to pull him early in the mid game somehow. By the time it’s late game and you can find him normallu you can’t really justify him and keeping the one slot open to cycle through battlecry minions. All your scaling is already set up with more valuable minions.

He needs to be a lower tier with lower stats.

2 Likes

This and you need the dragons to buff. I found a Kale in one of my games over the weekend through a discover. Maybe Turn 8-9? I wanted to grab him, but I had zero dragons and nothing in the shop so I had to pass. If he was a Tier 5 minion, I think it could boost his inclusion and give Dragons a boost.

2 Likes

yada yada yada.

I am not paying for HSR Premium currently, I can’t pull the stats on whether Kalec is weak or not. Maybe someone who has the stats could let us know.

But what I can tell you unequivocally is that Dragons as a tribe cannot be buffed. They’re too strong already. If a particular Dragon minion is found to be underpowered, then you’d need to pair that buff with a nerf to a different Dragon minion to even things out. Maybe something like buff Kalec + nerf Nadina somehow. But you can’t just buff Kalec.

One of the biggest problems with community buff suggestions is that players don’t normally view the floor correctly. Out of ten or so builds they’ll naturally tend to focus on cards that are hard to use in the top four builds, because the bottom half of builds are almost invisible to them, that’s not what they spend their time looking for. But the visible builds don’t need any buffs in the first place. Dragons just don’t need help, and their weak cards kinda need to remain weak.

1 Like

Sure got off topic in here. Moved from “nerf dr.boombox” to “buff dragons”.

Nothing really matters right now anyway until buddies go away. Like, I’ll be a person to say dr.boombox needs to go away (made a topic on it myself), but the real issue is that the current economy in the game enables him to be broken in the first place. Some heroes are able to get their hands on way too much way too fast.

Like, if you buy dr.boombox and absolutely nothing else that supports him, he’s not particularly overbearing. But you give someone access to like 20 gold per turn with the functionality of their buddy, watch as people end up with exodia boards completed on turn 7 because dr.boombox is a tier 4 minion and it’s easy to buy 2 or more of him.

2 Likes

Reaper should be at 5 in order to combat specific builds early on so they cannot become unmanageable based on the lobby they are in. I would gladly agree with you in keeping Reaper on 6 if Whitemane was still in the pool so there is a solid way to counter the Baron. As it stands now the only real counters for the Baron is a lucky cleave, a Box with taunt placed correctly and just plain old luck. Unfortunately these days Zapper just isn’t getting it done.

Kalecgos is a well known useless tier 6 minion. You cannot get enough out of the effect once on 6 to make it worth taking. Besides on 6 you are absolutely looking for Nadina anyway. If it was dropped to 5 it would be an okay pick on a tier 4 triple depending on lobby. Clearly the stats would have to be reduced but that’s expected. Just getting to 6 is a massive gamble these days anyway. If you are going to 6 you are looking for something VERY specific more than likely.

Menagerie will always be the best builds but those rankings need to be taken less literally. The lobby present + hero + player skill are the bigger factors.

I just looked through the data on HSreplay for Kalecgos and as expected an early golden version increases placement by 1.5-2 positions. Early being listed as turn 9 or 10. However it drops sharply for each turn after that to the point that by turn 13 it’s not effecting placement at all.

I will concede to Scrotie that when it is played though at golden early on it has the highest impact of any Dragon card even Nadina. Although it’s pick/play rate is lower than any other Dragon, which makes sense. Playing it at any point not golden is has little to no impact on placement.

1 Like

So by turn 13 it’s perfectly balanced. Before that it’s OP.

as you should.

Okay i am not sure how to take that second comment. It’s only really good and OP when it’s golden and it’s not easy making that minion golden unlike say Hogger who has a massive placement differential when made golden.