Battleground firewall exploit

So… when are they officially going to address this?? IF EVER?? I have stopped playing BG’s because EVERYONE is doing and I just cba any more. It’s not fun or clever use of game mechanics, it is straight up cheating!

7 Likes

It’s just the symptom of the real problem: Recruit Phase should start at the same time for everyone, regardless of how long combat takes, so that everyone has the same amount of time and no player can quickly steal away good minions out of the tavern pool before combat ends for others.

Until they fix that problem, the timer will always have problems like this exploit.

16 Likes

Yes of course, i am just wondering IF they are ever going to acknowledge that its THEIR fault… and make the game FAIR, at least in that regard.

I am just guessing they might come up with a solution first. And solution would require to change more things - they have to tinker tavern+battle phases, how client handles the disconnects etc.

Its not as simple as changing minion from 4/4 to 4/2.

Or they are just ignoring it completely or waiting if players are sharpening their pitchforks and lighting the torches :smiley:

1 Like

This is the issue, for sure.

Because combat completes processing long before animations, it makes sense that animations are client side and the calculation/instruction are server generated.

It isn’t as simple as holding everyone until combat ends for everyone because then everyone would have the same lag as the worst machine/connection and that’s not fun at all. I really don’t want to play at iphoneX speed when I have a screaming fast pc for a reason.

It may be as simple as tracking disconnects and more than once in a game is considered a conceding. It may be harsh to people with bad connections, but it would be more fair to the lobby.

Another option might be to make a hard cap on how much time you can buy and sell in the tavern regardless of when the next phase starts. While this wouldn’t prevent people from getting there first, it would prevent them from some of the high apm with an extra full minute shenanigans.

1 Like

They haven’t fixed or improved things from the yet go so don’t expect the exploit to be fixed

Yeah. I guess this might the best possible way. If they announce “We were balancing BGs about X secs long phases…” it might make a sense. It might even help players with lags IF the timer would start once they open tavern phase and not before that.

Though no idea if it could work - we have already seen players asking for “ready” button because certain turns are “long” (turn where majority of heroes level up tavern 90% times) so this “forced X secs for everyone” would slow the game even more. Especially if you would get lets say 1 min in a tavern to buy stuff and then you would wait another 20 secs till everybody gets their turn done.

From gameplay pov the current version is better. From balance pov, the version without an exploit is better.

1 Like

Everyone can do it so don’t see an issue. Plus it would destroy pirates you jist can’t scale them quick enough with the time.

1 Like

I would expect months of silence followed by a fix with brief mention in notes followed by months of silence.

Just don’t play at high rank to avoid the cheaters.

I was looking at it as more of a maximum timer… if you don’t show up in the tavern with > one minute until combat you would never see the cap timer.

This is exactly the point, though. It renders skipping combat animations moot because there would be little to no advantage gained through it.

1 Like

The disgusting part is this is an easy fix, and this isn’t an old issue. Since the beginning, people have been alt-f4ing for a similar effect.

They KNOW how long the animations last, the longest one is added to the timer…soo…make nothing movable until that time is up!

What exploit is this, and what does alt+f4 do? I’ve recently noticed extreme ramping on certain tribes at a level that I’ve never seen before, and don’t understand. I’m talking Pirate Monkey numbers on dragons. Has anyone else seen this, or is it something normal, and I just don’t know what I’m doing?

Just last game I saw this Jandice have 2 Khadgars and a Bran at tier 4, low health but I couldn’t finish him off. I knew he was gonna pop off already because her hero power and just having a tidehunter. Next turn she went to tier 5 with 10 triples. 2 turns later I face her again and I see golden amalgadon, 2 other amalgadons, golden maexnna, kalecgos etc. Yep I’m dead. Nothing I could’ve done about it but stop playing this joke of a mode.

Just follow some streamers advice like I did. Force your rating down by conceding or afk till this exploit is fixed.

I have conceded a lot of games to get from 8.5k to 6.2k and its not so prevalent there. As long as your rating is just a number, it feels better to play for fun instead of playing vs. tryhards that openly follow exploits to get an edge at all costs.

1 Like

What kind of argument is that?? There IS A REASON for the timer, mainly being THAT. So you can not consistently pull this off! Thats the natural built in “balance” so to speak. Just because “everyone can do it” doesnt mean its not cheating.

Also alt+f4 doesnt quite have the same effect from what i have read and seen - for the record i have never forced a DC with the exploit, nor will i ever do that. I only once in a blue moon get disconnected - usually during the recruit phase…

When you alt+f4 the game closes and then reloads, which makes you lose a lot of time. The exploit is just blocking the internet for the battlenet app, which in turn just DC’s the game for like a sec, and then reconnects instantly without having the “reloading” message pop up.

2 Likes

The solution is to add 20 seconds to the beginning of the recruit phase where nothing can be done. Have Bob say “Just checking on the other patrons first”. After the timer expires the Recruit phase begins.

It takes me roughly 20 seconds to switch to my mobile device from my PC and vice versa. I do this OFTEN for washroom breaks, drink breaks, medication breaks, dog breaks (outside etc…), snack breaks, wife breaks, go switch the laundry breaks, etc… etc… etc…

If the battle phase is taking longer than the 20 second window they can adjust.

That still doesnt fix the issue that some combat phases take longer than others and it is unfair to whoever has the longest combat. They need to at least block the recruit phase until the longest combat has ended. Or give everyone a limit of 1 minute (or whatever time they think is “fair”) during the recruit phase. The current way it IS done, is just unfair. Or like add something like “the shortest combat has ended, would you like to skip ahead to the next recruit phase?”

So its not cheating, its the player being forced to work around their faulty timer.

Yeah sure, clever use of mechanics… smh

It is NOT a feature of the game that you purposely DC. You are supposed to run out of time when you play certain builds.

1 Like

oh
so you think is ok to DC
since you get less time when you play vs those same builds no matter which one you are using too