Anyone else feel like Battlegrounds is a distraction?

So, I’ll start by saying that the mode is decent as a free, new game mode but… I feel like its being offered as a distraction to keep fans for pressing for a REAL tournament mode for standard HS. Also, I feel like there are a number of other issues with RNG, the matching system, and winrate fixing that are distracted from as well with this. Thoughts?

3 Likes

It’s common place for anyone to poke knives into anything new coming out. As for the issues I’m sure you can find many in depth topics already existing on this forum that break down battlegrounds down to its core mechanics and even make good suggestions on fixing them. Otherwise this just seems like a vent/rant.

Huh? I just said it was a decent new free game mode, no complaints about Battlegrounds itself. :weary:

Or they noticed the massive popularity of other auto-battler games and decided to get in on the action. It’s a much more straightforward explanation, IMO.

Plus, how far does the conspiracy thinking go? Did AutoChess came about because Valve wanted to distract players from issues with DOTA2? Was Riot trying to distract from LoL issues when TFT was released? Is the very existence of Hearthstone a way to “distract” Warcraft players from the decline of World of Warcraft? Down that road lies madness. Profit motive, plain and simple.

2 Likes

Lol, these guys have to make everything about their weird conspiracy theories.

A new game mode comes out that has nothing to do this the existing play modes? It must be to distract the sheep from the totally real RNG fixing that blizzard is using to tank my winrate.

1 Like

Winrate fixing is a classic HS conspiracy theory.

1 Like

cant really call it a conspiracy when brode himself said they program it to keep everyone around 50% win rate so there is always a match up. if you win alot you will get matched with harder opponents (i. e., your counter) and if you lose a lot youll be matched with weaker opponents (i. e., their counter) but in the end youll be around 50%.

his words.

1 Like

Except you don’t get matched against your counters, you get matched against higher MMR, who might or might not be running a favorable or unfavorable matchup deck. Also I and countless others have consistent 60%+ WR over thousands of games.

If you need help figuring out basic math for how MMR helps to balance win rates around 50% in most cases hmu.

Brode never said that.

“Harder opponent” and “counter deck” are not the same thing.

And yet, somehow, plenty of people manage consistent 50%+ winrates. Weird, that.

[citation needed]

you literally just repeated what i said…it keeps you around 50%… but still tried to talk down to me lmao. i just summed some of that up using the word “counter” which obviously triggered you.

First, I wanted to talk about casual mode. Right now, there’s an MMR, a matchmaking rating. The MMR goes up if you win games and goes down if you lose games. Starting out, we match you against new players if you’re a new player, and then we adjust your MMR so you can fight against players of similar skill. It’s not just skill, of course. People who are coming into the casual matchmaking to begin with have very limited collections, just basic cards, and then they start to accrue cards. It’s a component of what deck you’re using and your skill level. But players across the whole spectrum, even brand new players, get very close to a 50 percent win rate. As you win more in casual, that skill plus what deck you’re using will drive you to a higher MMR. The better you do in casual the more likely you are to see better decks, because those decks are good decks, and so they’ll push someone’s MMR up if they’re using them.

But if you’re not doing well in casual, you’re actually less likely to see those decks. Depending on your MMR, your experience of casual might be very different.

GamesBeat: I had no idea that the MMR was in place for casual mode.

BB: Yeah. It means you’re going to win about half your games. If you win less than half we’ll lower your MMR until you’re winning half your games. It almost doesn’t matter what deck you’re playing, or your skill level, or what deck you’re playing against. We’ll adjust your MMR until you’re winning half your games.

google is your friend. use it before opening mouth and inserting foot.

manipulation. from his own mouth. its not a dirty word. if i pick up a fork im manipulating my fingers to do so. it means it is not random or free ranking system. they own your games. win and losses.

but please keep crying conspiracy.

1 Like

for an open beta right now I’m starting to feel it’s way too limited not enough cards to test other synergies.

and no, I honestly don’t care about conspiracy theories :roll_eyes:

“Our matchmaking pairs you against people of similar skill so that you win, on average, half your games” is not the same thing as “Our matchmaker pairs you against counter decks so that you win, on average, half your games”. Matching people against others of similar skill isn’t rigging, it’s literally what a matchmaking system is supposed to do.

1 Like

its a videogame …of course its a distraction !

I’d like to see a simple tournament mode. The double elimination playoff structure with four players.

1 Like

double elimination would take forever to take…especially those who like to burn ropes…best case scenario is single elimination.

youre saying the exact same thing as me. stop trying to sound like im wrong when youre just repeating my thoughts.

this is all you need to know about hearthstone. im not changing the words or misquoting it. its right there. we all agree but some of you wanna sound like we are saying different things. were not. we all agree that sentence is true. done.

Really? It’s only three matches at the most.

It feels like they put a lot of time, thought and effort into it, honestly. Far from filler. After I started picking up on the nuances in strategy, adapting your lineup and selling/trading to build synergy - I was hooked. Without a doubt the most fun I’ve had playing this game in years.

Tournament mode and all the other features everyone has been clamoring for will come. In the meantime Battlegrounds serve as a fresh, unique alternative to ranked/arena for progression.

It’s a stupid format where you’re not even playing Hearthstone (the game you love) at all.