Add Auto-Squelch or Remove the "Thank You" Emote

Though I’ve been following some auto squelch threads quite closely I’ve never actually seen this argument about them wanting people to use emotes as much as possible since emotes are the part of their design philosophy. Maybe I’ve missed it, maybe I didn’t follow those threads close enough - who knows.

I hope and I’m actually even pretty conviced that it will take the ‘we will never make WOW Vanilla server’ route and that eventually they will give in. It’s hard to tell when it’s gonna happen - maybe in a year, maybe in 5 years, but somehow I’m sure they will add the AS feature eventually. Hopefully, sooner than later.

The difference is that they can monetize a vanilla server along with shooting down losses of players who’d rather play an independently run server than pay for the subscription to Blizzard.

Autosquelch carries with it no such monetary gain.

Well, some say they would gladly pay for it, but I’m not sure Blizz would go for it as the backlash would probably be bigger than a few bucks.

1 Like

It would be hard not to throw some shade at them (Blizz) for putting such a feature behind a dollar sign, should they ever choose to do so.

THAT would be an absolute PR nightmare lol.

1 Like

Not sure if this topic is still taking responses, but I’ve been playing the game for 2 years now and never once used the squelch option.

Try looking at it constructively and use your opponents actions as a source of information. This could help you better understand the mistakes you make in matches or give you a warning that you’re playing into your opponents hand.

Emotes are only used for trolling and have absolutely no place in this game. Imagine a scenario in real life where you and a stranger are playing chess at the park. Now imagine that player saying, “well played”, “Mistakes were made”, “hail, and well met!”… over and over again. At the end of a game they win, they say “The pleasure is mine!”. There would be a Ton of bloody faces until people quit the BS. In this internet world of anonymity where you can’t reach across the table and break your opponents face for being a douche bag… people simply abuse it. It is only Toxic to the community. Auto-squelch is so simple to implement and yet they don’t do it for what reasoning? Because you can manually squelch? The opponents picture still lights up, and is still frustrating to a lot of people. I have thick skin, I have fought wars, but this still gets to me. The developers need to add auto-squelch after all these years of a large number of players complaining about it. It makes the game stupid.

Well, they wouldn’t because people can actually speak to one another. And if one of the players didn’t feel like talking he could just tell the other to shut up.

No you absolutely don’t.

Sounds like projection to me, because this statement is objectively false.

None of those things would be said, because people would be able to communicate verbally and not have the need for character flavor-driven emotes.

No there wouldn’t. Stop being so edgy.

And then go to jail for assault… More comments denoting no real experience in the adult world.

If literally any indication that your opponent is an actual person - even if its just their portrait being highlighted - is enough to frustrate you, the problem lies with you and your absurd oversensitive and hyper-negative interpretation of everything.

No, you don’t.

From behind a keyboard, perhaps.

Because you don’t have anything that even resembles thick skin.

Apparently not large enough to impact the game with their dissatisfaction in any meaningful way, so apparently not. I’m not even fighting against the feature, you just need to stop overestimating your own self importance in light of the direction the makers of the game have for their product.

I disagree.

On the off chance that this is actually just one big troll comment to bait some response, well played.

3 Likes

Blizzard have made it clear that the current manual system is something they are happy with. They want you to opt into squelching, not just squelch and forget and ignore the only communication feature that they deem valuable.

/end thread

Counterpoint: Emotes are fun and are part of what makes the game fun.

As a wise Paladin once said, “Hello.”

its funny how you put that counterpoint, then you yourself show how you can troll with that emote trying to tilt him by putting that (?

1 Like

Blizzard makes bad game designs… so well played

This is easily corrected with a thought out implementation such as a notification when you try to emote that you are currently squelching the opponent.

Easily resolved with notification and better education.

Again, education is the answer here.

Nor is it just about you. And we are all here to discuss the issue.

ftfy

I have never said this. Not one time. Show me a single time where I said I was bombarded with 20 emote spams in 3 seconds after squelch fell off. Stop it!!

One obnoxious emote is very bothersome to me. It ruins my enjoyment of the game. And when one gets through, it’s very unsettling. That’s why I squelch every match, so I don’t have to endure one of those unsettling emotes. Whether it happens 75% of matches or 50% or 30%, I don’t like them and choose to use the limited and partially functional tool they’ve offered. I’m asking that they simplify this so I don’t have to repeat the process every single match.

1 Like

Correct. I don’t know if I’m going to have obnoxious emotes lobbed at me. But there’s a good chance I will. Maybe it’s a 50% chance, or 75% or 20%. But they are so off-putting to me that in order to reduce that chance as low as possible, I’ll squelch in advance.

First, I don’t have to prove the frequency of obnoxious emotes. It’s obviouls greater than zero. But to answer you… About six months ago, I did a little experiment and went squelchless for a series of matches. Small sample size to be sure. It ended up with something like 7 of 11 matches having emotes. A couple of friendly Greetings at the start, but I think like 6 of the 7 had an obnoxious jab in it. I may be a little off on the results (it was a while ago), but you could search the old forum for it if you want.

Never claimed that it was, which is why I go out of my way to assess how others might view the situation.

Does anyone agree that a happy-medium until the big AS or bust gets figured out is to:

Add back in “I’m Sorry”
And take out “Wow”?

If they’d revert that.
Wow is used to be offensive, seriously.
It can be funny, but much less obviously, and much less specifically, than “Im sorry”

Like “Im sorry” is ALWAYS funny.
Yea, your opponent steamrolls you, and goes “Wow”?
That’s never funny.
Your opponent steamrolls you, and goes “I’m Sorry”?
That is always funny, because it logically isn’t offensive to apologize for winning.

It’s turn-0.
Your opponent before you can squelch says “Wow”?
That is clearly mocking you, your class, your cardback, w/e.
Your opponent before you can squelch says “I’m Sorry”
That says “sorry for what?”. It’s not in any way offensive or annoying.

I think the devs well shouldn’t be destroying classic when they realize they didnt’ balance around it well enough.

I also think the devs made a huge blunder swapping in “Wow” emotes to direct at your opponent instead of “I’m sorry” to direct at yourself, that can never be as offensive sounding as “wow”.

Please devs, swap back “I’m Sorry” for “Wow” if you aren’t going to go Auto Squelch.

It’s a happy medium for sure.
Plus, think of it this way.
Taking out “wow” takes away one of the 3 offensive emotes.
Therefore, there is less ‘ammo’ if you will for BMers to use.

While I applaud your stubborness and drive, because you shouldn’t take things at face value…

I don’t know if you DESERVE anything except what you agreed to pay for (or get for free if you’re F2P)

Sure, ask the question, get mad when you don’t get an answer, that’s understandable.

But they don’t HAVE to do anything. Or tell you WHY. They just don’t.

You may never get an explanation. In the meantime they are sitting back sipping fancy drinks while you’re outside beating your head on the golden gates.

Again, your choice.

YOU BELIEVE wow is used to be offensive. Seriouisly, that’s YOUR OPINION.

I have seen crazy top decks and BOTH OF US pressed AMAZING at the same time. MUTUAL MINDS WERE BLOWN because something crazy happened and the fact that we recognized it simultaneously warrants a WOW! (that was nuts!)

That simultaneous acknowledgement of some whaky crap are high points in the game play for me.

Don’t tell me why I press wow. K?

I’ll tell you and you’ll like it.

Perception is reality, therefore my perception controls your reality.

1 Like