Add Auto-Squelch or Remove the "Thank You" Emote

If anything I want more interaction with my opponents. I’ve had some good laughs emoting through crazy plays with my opponents.

Edit: Spelling

1 Like

‘Need’ is a strong word. You don’t need a lot of things. You don’t need an ingame volume controler since you could simply adjust volume levels for Hearthstone in the volume control panel of your operating system, but still every game has volume options.

Since there’s already a manual squelch option there’s no good reason to not make the game more comfortable for your customers and add an auto squelch feature which many games already do. Especially since Hearthstone’s simplistic option menu totally has space for it.

1 Like

I’ll stop make accusations when you stop trolling? You wan’t proof of your trolling? Go and lcheck the old forums.

1 Like

I’m glad your opinion is the only one that matters.

HS is a 2 person game.

If you don’t like people outside of you, yourself, and you. Don’t play 2 person games.

You have a manual option THAT IS NOT HIDDEN BEHIND A SECONDARY MENU LIKE VOLUME CONTROL WITH SLIDERS…

If you can’t handle pressing your opponents face, which you do 30x a match, maybe you don’t need the stress of video games.

Again, the manual solution for abuse prevention already exists.

Your translation of abuse does not constitute a NEED on Blizzards part to automate this EXISTING function.

I will continue to give you reasons you don’t NEED Auto Squelch, you will continue to claim you do, so what is your POINT?

How about you stop making new alts to hide behind?

That in itself is some sketchy behavior that a troll might do.

It doesn’t, however, isn’t it only logical that opinion of those who actually use the feature actively should be more important than of those who don’t care about this feature and can’t even really explain why they oppose it so much?

I can not give two figs about the communication and still like the gameplay of a game. It’s not self exclusive. If the game actually had some very advanced AI I could play against, I might even consider switching to solo mode.

Again, since there’s a manual solution in place already there’s really no reason to not make it automatic and improve the experience of users. It would ease the life for those who are more forgetful to turn it on every game and would ease the life in that regard that you would turn emotes off once and for all and never bother with it again.

I can’t really prove that I don’t have any alts, so you are free to believe your delusion.

1 Like

Why do you feel the need to manually squelch every game when you have no idea whether you will get abused by emote spam?

And how can you prove this frequency of abuse if you squelch every game and therefore have not seen a single emote in years?

Oh, let me give you Skruffs answer first.

Because when his mobile connection drops off and squelch falls off, the MOMENT he reconnects he gets spammed 20 times in 3 seconds because his fingers can’t get to the squelch button fast enough and in that small window he is just BOMBARDED with emotes.

Yeah…

Half the forum discussions are pointless…

Especially this one. Spewing negativity born out of frustration may help you feel better but it does nothing for the rest of us. That is not a discussion, it’s ranting.

First of all, someone at the beginning of this thread already stated that you, anti-squelchers, falesly base your whole premise on this ‘abuse’ and toxicity idea. Toxicity is not the only reason why someone would squelch.

Maybe I simply don’t like emotes, maybe they distract me from the game when I have some serious lethal combo damage calculations to do.

Frankly, it shouldn’t concern you why someone squelches every game. The point is that they already are doing it every game for whatever reasons and such feature would be a quality of life improvement for them.

But to answer your questions about the levels of abuse. There are times when I don’t squelch, for example, when playing in a company of friends. Some friends were staying at my place for a week this Summer. We played non-stop Arena, and the BM was just crazy - almost every second game. So here’s your answer. 50 % high chance to get BMed seems pretty high to me, therefore I squelch. I don’t need it in my games.

1 Like

But that was precisely my point. If you overanalyze it’s all really pointless, but that’s what we people do even if it’s rather pointless.

i’m up at 2:00am reading a forum about squelching…I don’t care about squelching…but i’m here…forum dwelling life

1 Like

Actually that is the most important question that blizzard should be asking its population of players.
You people won’t accept the answer quote because we said so but you expect blizzard to turn around and do something for you simply because you want it?
So good reasons don’t need to be given by both sides just one side?

No, I don’t really think it is. Obviously, I can’t speak for the whole community of auto squelchers, but one of the main points that I see popping out and also my main point is that we already manually squelch every game and in that case the motivation doesn’t really matter because we are already doing it and will keep doing it no matter what. That’s just a fact. So we are simply asking for a small improvement, but unfortunately Blizzard cannot explain why it’s such a big issue to add it.

But what can you expect from a company which took several years to add 18 deck slots because they think a lot of deck slots are too confusing for their players? Still any explanation would be appreciated than a plain NO.

1 Like

Again, that’s not Blizzards problem that you make that choice. Your decision to go down that path doesn’t justify automating an already existing process.

They gave us these tools themselves. And there’s no sound reason to not improve it by making it automatic like in every other modern game, including their own games. Or at least giving us explanation why they don’t want it particulary in Hearthstone when even their other games with much bigger accent on communication have it.

1 Like

Can you please stop saying this as if it’s ab absolute? Because other people, including Blizzard devs, disagree with you.

I already said I’m not discussing with you anything until you provide these reasons that other people, and especially Blizzard have given. Because the only answer Blizzard has given is plain NO or option menu bloat which is just as silly as their excuse that bigger amount of deck slots would be too confusing to their players. Please, correct me if I’m wrong and if they’ve actually given any explicit explanation.

1 Like

I believe they had also mentioned that it would reduce emote usage overall as well, which falls in line with their reply in the most recent Q&A stating that they aren’t really concerned with the perceived toxicity level of emotes. They want people to be using emotes back and forth. Whether you or I disagree with that being something that should happen is irrelevant, it’s been made plainly clear that this is something they want to have going on in the game.

I don’t have much of a stake on this matter one way or the other but let’s be real here - your refusal to accept Blizzard’s reasoning is not the same thing as them not providing any reasons.

While I could certainly make an argument against their approach to the matter from a PR standpoint, we aren’t actually owed any kind of “satisfactory explanation” for their decision to not develop certain features.

1 Like

Honestly, this already sounds a bit better. At least it’s some kind of explanation that can be discussed though it’s of course unlikely that Blizzard will change their philosophy. I’m actually hearing this for the first time.

I’m sorry you’re just now hearing this for the first time.

This debate (and everything I mentioned aside from the recent Q&A reference) has been repeated hundreds of times over the course of the last few years. Usually things get nasty and Jesse or a mod had to shut them down, but when you hear someone go “the reasons have been stated” it’s generally a mixture of them being tired of repeating themselves and the assumption that anyone participating in the debate is already “up to date” on all pertinent information since there’s been so little direct discourse from Team 5 themselves on the matter - a point I’ve criticized them on more than once, even in direct conversation with a Blue.

However, upon looking back at exactly what responses we have been given, their decision to stand by those responses without much of an update other than handwaiving of concerns over the problematic nature of emotes is actually pretty telling in and of itself just where they stand on the matter.

No amount of [insert alternate, and even potentially validated perspective here] is going to change that if they’ve determined that manual-squelch-only is better for the game/them/whatever.