Add Auto-Squelch or Remove the "Thank You" Emote

Maybe I find it funny, your’e speaking in a way that makes you sound like this is a generally agreed upon fact, but it isn’t. Of course no one likes getting steamrolled and emoted, but some people are a good sport about it, I think the reasoning behind not adding autosquelch are kind of ridiculous. However, emotes are such a small thing it’s just like “are we really still talking about this?”.

You say that like it’s somehow absurd to continue the dialog, yet you continue to participate as well. Do you really think you’re going to change the minds of autosquelch advocates? Aren’t you just beating your own head against the other side of that same gate? Don’t get me wrong, please feel free to continue discussing, although I’d prefer you tried to be a little more pleasant – and that goes for everyone on all sides of the debate.

That’s true. They don’t have to. But they ought to.

Of course not. You’ve literally made it your identity.

What I do hope to do is counteract misinformation, when people say things like “there is no reason not to” and “the devs have ignored us” and “emotes are always BM.”

It’s not for you, it’s for the people who might read you and think that just because you’re the loudest and the last one talking that you’re correct by default. Stubbornness is not a substitute for argumentation.

2 Likes

I’m not correct by default. I’m correct because I’m correct.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You like to point “fake” arguments from one side, but what about the “emotes are always with good intentions” “BM doesn’t exist” “emotes are never tilting you thin skin”, both sides says some things that are not true to try to win the argument but in the end with all the things you said here we can basically go for this:

Doesn’t matter if all games are played against emote spammers, if someone wants to use this feature its their problem, because as anti autosquelcher said, the “thin skin” comunity are a minority, so you don’t have to worry about a sudden wave of muted games with no emotes because they are a minority.

Now if it is the case where you contradict yourself and people will start leaving the autosquelch on because “reasons” and that emotes can be anoying and because for a random reason they never turned off again and the world of deep comunication of “hello” and “wow” dies, then if this is the case it would only prove that AS was indeed a thing that a lot of people would apreciate and not a minority thing, either case, its the people choice to use it or not but i don’t actually believe that suddendly no one will emote you if this is only a “thin skin” trouble right?

The problem with you arguing against points I never made is that I don’t have to refute them, since they’re your points you think are wrong and I agree.

You are attacking your own strawman argument, because nowhere have I actually said that we deserve something from devs or that they owe us something - like an explanation for not putting AS in the game.

It’s their complete right to ignore AS supporters or any other part of their playerbase forever, just like it’s our right to express our opinion and ask questions (which of course might never be answered).

It’s all about you. And your Snicker pushing ways!

I main Sir Annoy-O and never get into emote wars. HELLO!!!

2 Likes

I never said I was smart!

I just like debating and brainstorming and analyzing things. I enjoy the process.

And that.

Regardless of which camp I am for… when people say ridiculous things, I can’t keep my mouth shut.

There are plenty of good reasons both sides, and plenty of absurd ones, both sides.

Thats why squelch is already in the game, for abuse prevention. Your “NEED” to preemptively press it every single match is your own paranoia and your admitting that EVERY EMOTE IS BM, no no they are not.

Manual squelch is not automatic because the frequency of BM isn’t as abhorrent as is claimed, it’s just not, the doomsayers be damned.

And all emotes are not intended to be fluffy kittens of love towards your opponent, some people are jerks.

In the meantime, manual squelch is there for your protection to the OCCASIONAL jerks.

If you can’t detect when a jerk is about to “ramp up” to an obscene level of BM, then you need to play the game more WITHOUT squelch on so you can learn to discern what is BM and what is NOT.

I can spot a moron a mile away, and I PROMISE YOU… out of thousands of matches unsquelched, I’d say 50 deserved to be squelched but I was too lazy and I actually squelched around 15-20 times in 2 years.

And NO, don’t say “well thats your choice/opinion” NO NO, you misunderstand.

My statistics are generous and my feelings are irrelevant. I am pointing out the amount of obvious BM portrayed by my opponents, my thoughts and translations are irrelevant as I am not pointing out ambiguous emotes, only CLEARLY BM emotes.

If you disagree with that, then Mand is correct, you believe ALL EMOTES ARE BM

Dude, you have made super similar statements… sure, maybe not 20 times, that’s my embellishment and exaggeration.

But you have stated that when you rejoin the game, and squelch has fallen off, you have implied that the BM starts IMMEDIATELY and part of your case for AS.

Oh, I’ll find it! :slight_smile:

Who has ever said any of those things? I mean… okay, sure, somebody somewhere probably said them, but I’ve never seen it.

What I do see–what I do say–is that sometimes we see BM when it wasn’t intended, and by assuming good intentions whenever possible, we can make the game a lot more fun.

Can I always assume good intentions? No, I cannot! When someone hits the same emote three times in a row, I figure they’re probably a jerk or maybe a small child. And then I hit “squelch”. But when I make a kind of weak play, my minion gets killed, and the opponent says “Well played!” … yeah, I actually can assume good intentions there. I can say “He thinks he’s got the match wrapped up, he’s thanking me for a good game even if I didn’t play perfectly–and if he doesn’t have the game won yet, after all, well then I get to surprise him!”

It’s not that hard. And it’s good practice for assuming good intentions in real life, which will make you a lot happier.

Hello:

Hello? Hellooo!

1 Like

Me too. So maybe I’m continuing to beat my head against that gate, in part, because I enjoy the discussion, but also I’m hopeful that some dev will see it and really, truly give it some fair consideration. Judging from Breeden’s recent comment, I don’t believe they’ve actually done that.

It’s not “every emote is BM”. It’s “every emote might be BM”. And because those obnoxious emotes are so off-putting to me, I choose to pre-emptively squelch so I don’t have that miserable experience of coming across one.

But unless I squelch pre-emptively, I’d still have to endure their jerkiness. If I wait until they actually spit on me, my enjoyment of the game has already been soured. I’ll squelch, maybe finish the game, and put it down. That’s not good for the game.

And there’s the disconnect. You only see emotes as problematic when they “ramp up” to some extreme level. You aren’t understanding that for many players, that first obnoxious emote is already at that extreme.

No. Because I don’t know for sure that squelch has fallen off until one of the emotes gets through. But when that happens, even if it’s relatively infrequent, it’s extremely exasperating. Even Blizzard has acknowledged that squelch falling off is very frustrating. Yet they’ve done absolutely nothing to fix the problem.

I’m too tired to go into this with any depth, but in short, you’re telling people how they should feel. I’m upset by something and your solution is just don’t feel upset. It doesn’t work like that.

You also said once that there was no reason they could give that would convince you, so what does it matter how much consideration they give it (which is probably more than you acknowledge).

No, I said I can’t think of a reason they could give that would convince me. It’s a subtle difference, but an important one.

Well, considering Breeden had no idea about squelch falling off on mobile devices, which was a very important part of the discussion, I’m inclined to think they haven’t given is much consideration. I’d feel a little differently if his resonse had been, “Yeah… squelch falling off on mobile devices really sucks. We’ve been working on that one, but it’s just been a really tough one to figure out. Sorry about that. I’ll push QA a bit to see what we can do to get this fix for you guys.” At least then I’d know he’d read some of the discussion.

hey paf, i got only one thing to say to that, don’t get in a discussion if you don’t read the whole thing before, don’t say you because i already pointed out that im not in need for this, but i feel empathy for those that they do.

Im going to answer you like if it wasnt directed to me and its to somebody else, now, if thats the case, HOW DOES IT BOTHER YOU WHAT OTHER PEOPLE WANTS? doesn’t really matter to you if it is true that they are being BM to the end of the times or not, they are not asking to start a race 10 miles ahead, they just want a thing they can already do, that has no benefits in gameplay in an automatic way, and if you say the “resource” part from blizzard, THATS BLIZZARD MATTER, NOT YOURS, you are another player and if you have an objection of how this is going to be bad of the community and you, you express it from your side, not blizzard side, if blizzard has a trouble, they will say it.

If they need it, or want it, how does this concern you? let them be, you said it in the old AS discusion in old forums, AS ARE MINORITY, so how does it bother you that a minority wants to do automatically what they are already doing?

A lot of people said it, specially in the old forums where this was a large discussion and a lot of the people who commented there are here.

Now about what you have said, let me answer you this simply.
No, not all emotes are BM but there are people that just play this game for the sake of having fun, they don’t believe that a system of 6 programed words would make a nice conversation so they want to avoid that and just play the game, with out any BM, even if the other guy is gonna do it or not, they don’t lose anything by just not seeing more emotes.

I understand what you are saying here anyway, of course its better to asume the best, but if they can’t, let them enjoy the game in its own way, and also if they where all good people with good intentions then why chat instead of emotes isnt a thing? what you say is utopic because mostly in competitive games people are toxic as hell, maybe not you, and maybe not me, but a major part it is, you can see it in other games when chat is a thing, so just let them enjoy it with AS if they want, they dont do harm to anyone

They don’t need to convince you of anything.

If you wanted Hagrid to be a dinosaur, jk Rowling would not have to justify or convince you otherwise. It is their intellectual property.

They can implement whatever vision of the application they want, and the subtle difference that IS important is electing to opt out of emote communication versus set and forget which is what blizzard wants.

That’s the end of this discussion.

how is that implementing AS will opt out the emotes?

I can make this more clear:

The current system requires you to opt out of emote communication manually every match. Opting out versus opting in is a well practiced principle.

Auto squelching clearly violates this.

1 Like