Add Auto-Squelch or Remove the "Thank You" Emote

I rarely emote in this game and try to be as polite as possible during a match; yet some people still emote with the intention of being rude.

I feel that the “Thank You” emote is espeically used to show negativity.

I believe this is also why the “Sorry” emote was removed?

Really though, how frequently will the “Thank You” emote actually be used in a positive way?

Another solution is to add a auto-squelch feature. Which I think many people would be happy to have.

33 Likes

How hard is it to squelch manually? Good god. They even fixed the mobile issue where opponent would be unsquelched after a call or switch to main screen. There is no excuse for auto squelch.

Are you sure you are not getting offended a bit too much over a rudimentary expression, such as emote in a game? I always wanted to ask you people: Why not play against AI or single player if you find human behaviour aggravating?

I keep seeing this topic brought up but none had a single strong case to make as to why it should be implemented. I’m sure it’s easy for Blizzard to implement the option, but it being easy doesn’t necessitate it at all.

I’m not attacking or mocking you, don’t get me wrong. But I’ve seen many who get really obsessed and agitated over this to a degree that they flinch even when the opponent hovers over their portrait, assuming that they are emoting, not knowing that they are muted.

13 Likes

I’ve never got the whole auto squelch thing.

If your ego is so fragile that a short phrase gets people this riled up, you shouldnt be playing a multiplier game.

I’d hate to see any of you in any kind of social interaction if a sarcastic ‘Thank You’ tilts you to this degree.

9 Likes

Auto squelch ain’t happening in the near future, so stop asking.

7 Likes

I will genuinely thank you for all your mistakes (and I mean it, very positively). If that gets you riled up, even better! More mistakes I can than you for.

4 Likes

Still want an auto-squelch. And i cannot for the life of me think of a SINGLE reason not to have an autosquelch. People who don’t want autosquelch…just don’t use it.

For the good of mental health and the enjoyment of the game, there is no reason not to have autosquelch. Not everyone has a skin as thick as the layer of the earth’s crust.

People also (Foolishly) and wrongly assume that not wanting the thank you spam and the well played spam amongst others is somehow indicative of bad real life social behavior. Obviously those who feel the need to state that have some issues of their own. For one, being unable to recognise that not everyone is a carbon-copy of them and not everyone likes being repeatedly taunted and annoyed.

Likewise, some people also state “but it’s so easy to go to their face with the mouse and manually squelch them”. But what if they emote at you before you even get the chance? the damage is done. And since matches are so abundant and so quick, it doesn’t take much imagination to think of the times you forget to squelch them because you get so many opponents over the course of a playing session. As such, the damage there is easily done.

Once again, foolish are those who think everyone is like them. Foolish are they who think emotes cannot be hurtful because they themselves are not affected.

24 Likes

The damage is already done? What damage? Have you and I been sharing the same planet all along or is it just an alternate, pro-choice, feelings-over-facts reality you live in Tyani?

What are you rambling about? Honestly, I cannot wrap my head around your (and others’) reasoning for wanting an auto squelch implemented.

Friends, what sort of people are you surrounded with? What sort of life you have gone through? What is this PTSD level of anxiety at the sight of an emote?

I’ve struggled with severe social anxiety and diagnosed with mdd at the age of 20 and I finally weaned off drugs after 5 years. Took me 5 years to recover from the fear of illogical repercusions by the hands of ‘normal people’. Being-or feeling an outcast, my biggest fear was to be smeared, laughed at for my opinions, and even mocked for voicing it in the first place. So I kept it to myself all the time. I was extremely sensitive during those times so I can relate to others who suffered from the same illness/disorder.

Don’t go around assuming that everyone has skin as thick as the layer of the earth’s crust. This is a god damn online game, through which you interact with other PEOPLE. Real living human beings who come in many shape, size, background etc.

If this sounds like too much to handle, then feel free to play solo adventures as I’m sure that’s where you will feel right at home.

You got it all wrong. Not everything has to be a clash of realities, preferences and whatnot. You make it so because you choose to be offended by sentimentality.

If I-and many others who suffered from mental illnesses can grow a thick skin, so can everyone. It’s not game’s duty to teach you to grow a thicker skin, I do not argue that. What I’m saying is this: go out. There is a life with living, breathing, breeding people outside; interacting each other without conceding their rights or ideals, while not infringing others’ or at least, that’s what majority of people living in civilized societies who grew up in civilized environments and manners do.

If you had told us that someone offended or verbally assaulted you with mean words, I would be on your side (even though, in my world view, you need to learn to acknowledge that you are responsible for the betterment of yourself alone and nobody is entitled to respect you for it’s something to be earned) but if an emote in a video game where you play with other people gets you all worked up and shrivel, I would say you have some problems that you must address before spending time on-line with your self-entitlement.

And no I’m not your doctor or life coach. Sorry if this sounds condescending, but it is what it is. You are concerning yourselves over a video game far too much. This is not healthy, whether or not you are an introvert.

1 Like

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. It seems you are one of those people that thinks everyone must be exactly the same. Nobody’s talking about ptsd. And it sucks that you’ve experienced horrible experiences in the past.

You’re also reading very selectively. What i wrote is that everyone that is against auto-squelch is assuming everyone has an incredibly thick skin. And i think You have got it all wrong. But guess what, that’s what the forums are for. I still cannot think of a single reason why autosquelch would not be a good addition. If you don’t want it, don’t use it.

You say that, but that is a very gross overgeneralisation. You can’t assume that, nobody can. It’s the Devs’ job to make the game an enjoyable experience. I’m not sure i agree with the “breeding people” part though. :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, you miss the point where over the years, those taunting emotes really grate on people. I for instance would Love an autosquelch feature and know it would improve my gameplay. And do people read too much into those emotes? for sure, but that doesn’t mean there any less harmful. If you slip on a bananapeel, does getting laughed at by everyone feel good? No ofcourse not, would you rather not have the part where you get laughed at? i would definitely want to take that part away. Video games are there for an escape, for enjoyment, for a hobby. For me, and likely many others, that enjoyment is reduced by people spamming hello at you when they’ve got you cornered. But i guess we all have to be able to be absolutely mute and numb about games nowadays? only the positive and happy things are supposed to make you feel things in video games? :stuck_out_tongue:

I suppose we have to agree to disagree.

12 Likes

What I can and did accuse you of in your response was that you are catastrophizing. It’s a distortive thinking commonly seen in mentally fragile, depressed and introvert people. It’s mentally exhausting and takes it’s toll real fast. I may have over-generalized by saying “everyone can grow a thick skin” as I know it’s simply not true and holds no merit. It was supposed to be an analogous talk through my own experience and reflecting it upon others to reveal the fallacious thinking that everything has to be a clash or everyone is out to get you or offend you.

You know that CBT is a wonderful thing. It taught me that I chose to get offended, scared and intimidated. I as a biological machine, not the wholistic me. That latter part of wholism and acknowledging that it won’t get better on it’s own came much later but I digress. You need to take control of yourself. You cannot be held accountable for others’ misdemeanors, offenses, crimes and actions.

I suppose otherwise. We don’t have to agree to anything but to look from others’ perspective every once in a while. You are entitled to your opinion, and I, to mine. So long as we are benefiting to make the environment healthier for everyone. I, however, am still not convinced that there should be a toggle to squelch.

Remember that it’s a human thing to label things we don’t know because of the fear of the unknown. You cannot fight an enemy you don’t know, and you cannot know what is or isn’t one unless you name it, or actualise it in the case of religion. I would never label emotes as toxic, but rather the people who use them in a way to make you feel the way you feel or they really are toxic. Yes, griefing is part of online human behaviour and there are people who assume the sadistic and pitiful application of them and that’s what brings them joy which is sad.

What I find repelling is the feelings-over-facts approach that I’ve kept coming across in the old auto-squelch topic. You do whatever makes you happy. But it won’t, and I enjoy my games the way it was meant to be played.

So long. :+1:

1 Like

Teemo has done a great job and I very much agree with what they’ve said, so I’ll just throw in my own little part and be on my way:

It’s an emote. You don’t need skin as thick as the earths crust to not be “damaged” by a pre-recorded phrase with no harmful or hurtful content.

On the other hand, I do agree that not everyone enjoys being repeatedly taunted and annoyed, and never stated otherwise. That is why we have the ‘squelch’ feature, so that if someone is abusing the emote mechanic, you can disable it. I also don’t see where you have this idea that I think everyone has to be the same.

I just think it would be nice if everyone could handle issues such as these like adults, instead of “HE SAID THANK YOU BUT DIDNT MEAN IT AND IM UPSET!”

Goodbye.

1 Like

Not fixed. Happened to me yesterday.

2 Likes

We do not like the emotes. We dislike them so much that we squelch every match in order to eliminate the possibility of seeing them. That is happeneing. It is where the discussion begins. An auto-squelch toggle is a simple “quality of life” improvement that would eliminate the tedium of having to manually squelch every match.

13 Likes

And here is where the discussion ends. You got your answer - again.

It’s only been the same one you’ve gotten every time you asked for a year and a half.

And no, it is not “simply” a QOL change. Stop pretending those who disagree with you do not exist.

4 Likes

And again, your entire approach here is misguided. You continue to base your argument on the the fact that we shouldn’t get so upset by the emotes. But we do. That’s just a fact. Your argument is just you trying to tell other people how to feel. People feel how they feel.
Don’t just tell them not to feel that way.

As for taking control ourselves, we do that… by squelching every match. That’s how we are controlling the situation. The discussion needs to start there. We squelch every match. And given that we squelch every match anyway, why not add a simple convenience to that feature and let us turn it on and leave it on.

8 Likes

I think the conversation would start off better with: “I know and have seen Blizzard will not implement Autosquelch, yet I continue to campaign for no reason”

Just makes it easier for people newer to the forums to know why they should just ignore this stuff. It’s the solution to emotes after all, might as well be our solution to the autosquelch campaign.

Actually… it doesn’t. In fact, I was specifically advised by a Blizzard rep that continuing the discussion was perfectly acceptable and encouraged.

Liv Breeden’s answer was not on point. He claimed that emotes are part of the very limited communication available. But that ignores that fact that many players are squelching already and adding a toggle only simplifies this for those players. The toggle changes nothing in that regard. People who are squelching anyway will use it. People who are not squelching routinely will not use it.

Further he claims that the emotes are among the least toxic behaviors, conceding that they are (at least to some degree) toxic. And while I’m glad that he personally doesn’t find them too toxic, other people do. So they squelch. How he personally feels about the level of toxicity that emotes bring really has nothing to do with automating a feature that already exists. He’s using the tired argument that since he doesn’t feel they’re so bad, nobody else should feel they’re so bad.

3 Likes

Yeah, they should stick to addition games, amiright?

Eh?

Eh???

I’ll see myself out…

7 Likes

I agree, it may be best for us to subtract ourselves from this conversation.

And I’m done, you know the conversation has no where to go when it just turns into corny math jokes XD.

2 Likes

Better than dividing your players…

5 Likes

Dear god…its mand…the previously (Abusive) MVP. Everything that comes out of your fingers and keyboard seems to be negative and non-constructive. Likewise:

Because that is EXACTLY what you are doing here, buddy :slight_smile:
What would’ve happened if way back women’s right to vote and the protests that made legislators turn it into law gave up after the state first said No?
The discussion does not just start here, it continues because it has to. Also, there is absolutely ZERO divide. Those who play with autosquelch on will still face those with or without it on.

Just now i had a match where my opponent had a godhand opening. And guess what? after i conceded “I appreciate your efforts”. The game after that, against a face-murloc shaman, likewise when the enemy defeated me with their infinite murlocmachine: “I thank you”. Was that really neccecery? did that a-hole really need to use that emote? :slight_smile:

Now, more than ever i think autosquelch is needed.

5 Likes