A demonstration of how broken hearthstone is currently

This hightlights one key issue I have with the game itself:
Combo disruptors and tech cards in general. For some reason most of the tech cards are so unplayable that they’re basically not worth including. With only Silence being the exception (because that effect is universally good) I don’t think that because tech cards exist broken cards suddenly become less broken. Why should I fill my deck with garbage because some players just love to play netdecks that utilize the same OTK combos? Dirty Rat was one golden example of a high-risk/high-reward card like that actually being good and worth the inclusion.

Damn, I miss that rat!

2 Likes

I see what you mean, but the only problem with this is I was there and you weren’t. So yeah you could be right, but you aren’t.

I see what you mean, but the only problem with this is that you lost, you didn’t win. So yeah, you could be right, but you aren’t.

Dude this game never gets play tested. They release the cards then nerf/buff stuff after we use them

2 Likes

Maybe you forgot the rules of the game. You DON’T win by destroying cards. You WIN by reducing their health to zero.

Sucks to be you. Haha!

3 Likes

The game broke when they introduced the Wild format and it cannot be fixed anymore.

Every year they just remove from standard some cards, forcing us always to buy new cards. If in World of Warcraft this process of deleting armors when launching a new patch and farming new ones was costing us only time, in Hearthstone is costing us real money because you do NOT have the time to craft the cards between expansions since they introduce every time 20+ legendaries, 120+ common, etc.

How can you call this ? Milking real money from idiots. So you either choose to play 1-2 decks for free and under-perform being steamrolled by the few paying Activision customers, or you become an idiot buying some virtual goods that aren’t even yours: if the game closes tomorrow, you lost everything you invested in, because you cannot play it outside Activision servers.

The only solution for us players is to play something else. Too bad Hearthstone remains the only good cards game out there, even with the childish idiotic approach of the last two expansions.

This is a free account. I don’t care if it gets banned, closed, etc. It costed me 0 real money. But it is no fun to play like this.

I invested about 3000 USD in my paid account in the past 4 years. I don’t feel sorry because I had fun. Not anymore. Last Brawl reminded me how idiotic this game has become.

3 Likes

Maybe you forgot how the game actually plays out. If you manage to burn a lot of my cards, then at one point I will be out of cards. If you still have cards at that point, you win. Because I won’t be able to answer your threats when I have no cards left. And even if your cards are purely defensive, I’ll die to fatigue damage.

There have been viable decks in the past that try to overdraw you, make you burn cards, and make you die to fatigue. Remember Mill Rogue?
The deck as described in this topic sounds more like a meme deck to me and will probably not be very succesful, but I see how it can be fun to try to make this work. And it can be highly uscccesful against combo/OTK decks. If I play Mecha’Thun, you play this deck, and you burn half my deck, that means a fifty/fifty chance that you burn my only win condition. Or, if I play Topsy Turvy priest and you burn both copies of Topsy Turvy (or even one if I already played one before realizing what type of deck you play), you win. Etc.

2 Likes

That has nothing to do with the introduction of Wild. The “forcing” (airquotes explained below) happened before that as well. It does not happen when cards rotate, but when cards are introduced. That happens 3 times per year, every time a new expansion is released.

No, I call it running a business. You make the comparison to WoW, but you forget that unlike WoW, Hearthstone is free to play. WoW only offers a teaser for free and forces you to pay if you want to advance past level 20. Heartstone does not do that. And yet it costs Blizzard money to create the game, to run the servers where the games are played, to provide support, etc.
Since Blizzard is not a charity, they need to earn back that money (and a bit more, companies like to make a profit), and that’s where the business model comes in. For WoW, the business model is based on a periodic subscription fee that gives access to all content of the game (though I believe you still have to pay extra to unlock extra stuff). For HS, the business model is based on releasing new cards every four months and hoping that enough players will pay money to get access to those cards. Similar to physical trading card games such as e.g. Magic the Gathering (except that MtG has no way at all to get cards for free, while HS does have that option).

Also, you are not forced at all. It is perfectly viable to play this game on a completely free to play account, as long as you are willing to play with lower expectations. If you want to compete at the highest ranks, and be able to keep adapting your deck as the meta changes, then you will need a huge card collection which in practice means you need to pay. But if you are able to find enjoyment in seeing how far you can come with the cards, dust, and gold you can collect for free, then you have a fun pastime that costs nothing.

If you play ranked ladder, then those “few paying Activision customers” will soon gain ranks, and you will lose ranks, and then they are no longer paired to you. Once that has happened, you’ll be competing with other people with “free” or “just a bit of money” accounts. (Plus a few full-paying account navigated by people who have no clue how to play the game and hence manage to lose even with the most perfect decks).

Do you have a Steam account?

2 Likes

The point still stands. You win by reducing opponent’s health to zero. Face damage or fatigue. Simply destroying cards will not accomplish that.

1 Like

And it’s always a little bit worse when you come back.

wrong.

There’s two cases (three, if you count Wild) where you win, regardless if your opponents health is 1, 30, 500 or 10.000.

Mecha’thun and The Four Horsemen automatically destroys your opponent, this, of course, happens when your health reaches zero but this is an entirely different mechanic that’s pretty much “Automatically Win” if the conditions are met.
(if people are curious about the third, it’s the interaction between Jaraxxus and Sacrificial Pact.)
That’s entire different from other OTK decks, which you as SMORCifuly explained, deals massive damage to your opponents health - this allows offers a counter to those OTK decks, since some decks can achieve a state of health that prevents them from being killed.

And yes, destroying cards can win you the game if a deck is built around a singular card like Mecha’thun and it is burned, which… guessing from OP’s post, he was unlucky not to hit.

When i made a gonk deck it seemed like a meme deck for sure or low tier deck. Then yeah i threw in taunts and life gaining things because if youre going to kill minions with your face youre going to take a lot of damage and it gets wrecked against aggro.

But im assuming you wasted a little bit of dust on your “attempt” of a mill deck where i think togwaddle might be a better version of a mill deck. But believe me i have played a few card games in my time where people think mill is the cheesiest tactic and they are very mindful of that. But it is also because most decks lack any real combos and there are very few cards that let you draw out specific combo pieces. Thats just the state of this game and why people drop the same cards time and time again that require no setup. I always find otk strategies very refreshing but i too myself think the pace of the game in high ranked play is too fast for most combo decks to work.

Game is never going to get balanced. You will be playing legendary decks at every rank all boring day. You will be playing against 99.9% copy deck players all day. 0 competition since your playing the same legendary player all day.
Game failed and has failed. Please stop trying to think blizz will fix anything with this game. It will never happen.
There to busy making new decks every 4 months now to collect money. That is there only priority.
Blizz being a company for gamers has long been dead.

Either play the fake competition game or dont. Blizz does not care to fix the cheat codes out there, the copy decks or anything else.
Im not sure why people bother and your right I shouldnt be here either its a complete waste of time. The dream of what we want HS to be is long long dead.

4 Likes

agree
Cancer this game is ALL deck(cards) that destroy enemy with full healt in ONE round without any cards on board… SAD STORY

4 Likes

It is not a serious deck, I play it while doing other things, and winning and losing with it is irrelevant, I 100% concede to Rogue with the deck, because it simply doesn’t work against that archetype.

I care about the fact that the game requires you to have 30 cards, and in reality, the vast majority of them are irrelevant.

This deck simply highlighted the stupidity of that in an interesting way and demonstrative way.

My goal is not to burn your cards, I want to get at your face. If it means I have to go through 18 cards to get at your health then so be it.

I remember one game where, (can’t remember the legendary name but it’s the one where you get 40 health.) the person doubled that card and I had to burn 110 health just to get at him. Yeah, I won the game but it was a struggle and by no means was the outcome final. His deck stunk! I shouldn’t have won, but he relied so much on that one card that the rest of his hand was lousy. That is not skill, he was just hoping I’d run out of cards and die a fatigue death.

And speaking of fatigue, I’ve come across that rarely in all the games I’ve played. I’ve played for 15 months, so it’s not a common occurrence. And if it comes to that, it just means they are trying to run you out of cards and hope their deck can keep you away from them. Or we both are lousy players and ran out of cards without doing enough damage to each other that it happened.

I mean there is even a legendary in solo mode that tries to run you out of cards. I know because I played a Dungeon Run with a Paladin and actually won against all the bosses with it. My first win in 15 months playing that solo game! (Lot’s of swearing going on while playing that set.)

I don’t see how the 2 are related… if your whole deck is removal, all your opponent needs to do is attack you slowly over time until you are dead. What is YOUR win condition?

I’m not here to spend a half an hour on one game. Last game I played was with a mage. We played for 45 minutes. I know we were at 24 turns when I just gave up because I had other things to do, thank you.

Hey, I had him down to 8 health, then he clawed his way back to 30 because of Jania. (Am I spelling that right?) Was I trying to control his deck? No, I was trying to kill him. His deck was getting in the way. We all know when it hits 9 mana guess what pops out. I’ve seen it every time I play against a mage.

It doesn’t take much skill to wait for that certain card or cards to make a loss into a win. I don’t know if you’ve ever played MtG: Arena but there isn’t just one card that does you in on one turn.

Your playing 60 cards, 20-25 of them at least lands. The rest your playing against the opponent. Here it’s just mana. And 30 cards that just need mana. Priest for example. I just need a high health card, two cards to increase health and one to transfer health to attack. The rest are fodder to keep you at bay and to break through your taunts. I basically slapped you in the face with 4 cards.

Please, we are just waiting for the cards to show, and knowing how the RNG works on drawing cards, yeaaah, we have a pretty good idea they will be there. I can just about figure out what he’s doing if he’s holding 10 cards and doling out taunts while waiting for the draws. That’s a lot of skill there.

I don’t begrudge the mage player the win. He basically tired me out.

Wrong. There’s more than what you’ve said.

You missed winning when the opponent gets disconnected.

2 Likes

The rants here are all great for a 3rd grade dodge-ball in the rain session, but I just wanted to say… wtf is a pretentious lemon? Pretentious… not even. It certainly didn’t read as though there was an emphasis on an inferred elevated status of pally over priest. If we’re going to use 20 dollar words in a vocabulary above your normal range, please joogle the definition, ensure you understand it, then use it correctly (phonetically spelled because bad grammar users generally say jiff in my experience). Perhaps a better P-word would be pugnacious… or an E-word like the most recent young adult culture of entitled. Admittedly, it did have a cute ring to it “Pretentious Lemon” - sounds (as racist as this might be) very white-young-male-adult-ish… obviously, just not educated.
I’d feel bad, but c’mon - you certainly attempt too often to ridicule others, from what I’ve read. Go hug someone. I’m feeling a bit more roasty tonight than usual >.<

1 Like