A demonstration of how broken hearthstone is currently

This is, in my opinion, the biggest problem with Hearthstone.

I played a deck for fun, a warlock deck that destroys your opponents deck.

In a game, I destroyed about 18 cards from my opponents deck, more than half of his deck.

He still won, because the game only requires the player to have a few cards in hand, that is all. If you have those cards, then apparently the rest of the 30 cards are utterly pointless and unnecessary.

This is a mockery of the game, that 80% of your deck is unnecessary and that less than 10 cards are necessary for a win.

If the game is going to be played this way, why force a person to have 30 cards? Why not simply let them have the 10 cards, it will shorten the game for the rest of us considerably, that we do not have to wait for them to get those 10 cards.

This is not a feature, it is not a benefit, it is not interactive, and it is kinda pointless. I think the developers need to carefully consider whether they think that this is where they want the game to be and if it is not where they want the game to be, to balance those cards effectively.

24 Likes

Hearthstone is very broken. I’ve not played in months because its just so bad and unfun right now, and while I am cautiously optimistic for the new year, I’m definitely taking a wait and see approach.

At this point Team Five needs to show me that they have a rigorous, through, and scientific process for play testing the cards they design. No more of the Genn/Baku nonsense they should have seen coming from miles away. No more Quest Rogue nonsense that crowds out entire archetypes that was somehow not discovered in the testing process. No more of this Shudderwork nonsense, where you put a class specific legendary card into the game that literately was designed to be built around that broke your game on day one. Not the metaphorical broke the game because it was just too good. No the it actually broke your game on day one, and somehow it was not discovered in the supposed testing process of the game.

My good will for this game as run out, and now it’s a show me that this game is worth playing at the point.

17 Likes

Shudderwok was discovered in the testing process but it was too late for it to be changed because it was already shipped. And they didn’t want to nerf it because there were counters to it.
Here’s the thing: there are many broken things in HS. But they counter each other, therefore, it’s better to leave them the way they are.

3 Likes

I absolutely disagree. Hearthstone really isn’t that broken. If the game frustrates you, to the point of needing a break, that’s understandable. I’ve done that before several times. It’s ok, Hearthstone will be there when you get back.

2 Likes

HS or a lot of bots with MGS1234 names :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yep, very true.

Thats why the patented AI system works the way it does - to encourage micro-transactions.

Thats why the RNG goes 1 2 3 most of the time. Why Dk Reexar is there on 6, Malfurion n 7, Lich Jaina on 9, Dk Guldan on 10.

Why Zilliax is there on 5, Keleseth turn. The game isn’t a true RNG. Its more reliable dealing than random.

Like you I built that fun deck - destroy half the decks - even used the spell that costs life to do so.

But you have discovered like everyone does, the game isn’t about won or doing new interesting things, its about win rates and grinding. Why?

Because people get bored, find it tedious, become frustrated - why would a company want this? Well they studied people will spend money to try and feel good about the game. Good when they have all the cheat cards and can just drop em down and win with no effort or skill required.

10 Likes

You described big priest in a nutshell at the end lol

2 Likes

Hearthstone is hands down the most unbalanced game I’ve ever played, and they do it on purpose so that idiots with 5 brain cells can roll a deck that can win in 2 turns. Just played a game Druid v Druid and by turn 10 I was full health with 32 armor. I was DESTROYING the other Druid. Yet he won in one turn because of gonk. He did over 80 damage in ONE TURN. ONE TURN!!! No skill was involved in him winning at all. Pretty pathetic that blizzard has become one of the worst gaming companies because of free to play games. Oh and I didn’t even touch on the cube decks and BS like that. Hearthstone is a game for idiots hands down

6 Likes

There are several different deck archetypes. Each with different win conditions. For example, aggro has cheap cards, swarms the deck, and tries to overrun you before you can stabilize, and before they run out of cards (which can happen quite fast if you play multiple cards each turn). Control decks focus on removing all threats, protecting life (taunt and healing), and wearing the opponent out. Mid-range is in between these two, with a mix of protection/removal on one side, and threats on the other side.

The deck you lost to appears to be neither. It appears to be a combo/OTK deck. Those decks typically have a few cards that are the win condition - sometimes as a one turn kill (OTK), sometimes as a combo that generates such a strong board that the win follows the next turn. The rest of such decks is similar to what control does (lots of protection and removal), but with more card draw.
The weakness of combo decks is that they NEED the full combo in hand. In some games they’ll be lucky and find what they need at the start. Other games will see their win condition at the bottom of the deck (which often results in a loss).

Your deck that aims at destroying the opponent deck is actaully a very good counter for exactly combo/OTK decks - every time you destroy a card it may be one of their combo pieces, and without those they have a very hard time winning. But it does rely on RNG - and in the game you played you appear to have had very bad luck and only destroyed cards that your opponent didn’t really need. I’m sure if you queue into that same opponent again it’ll almost certainly go better.

2 Likes

The skill requireed in them winning was the skill to stay alive while they cycled through the deck to get the combo pieced together in their hands.
You are right that the final turn involves no skill. That is true for at least 95% of the final turns in all games. It’s like playing a mid-range deck and then claiming that it takes no skill because the last turn is simply an attack with your Zilliax into the opponent’s face when they are already down to 2 health.

That being said - if you are convinced that Gonk Druid is a complete no-skill guanrateed-win deck, then why not craft it, start your 100%-winrate-rise to Legend 1 and post back here when done.

12 Likes

I see what you are saying but disagree. Staying alive is not hard. Killing your enemy is not hard. Doing both at the same time is where skill comes in. Sitting there as a Druid gaining armor and healing while you wait for your combo cards is not skilled. All you have to do is throw out random taunt minions mindlessly. You could literally half pay attention to the game and stay alive until turn 10. But you ask why don’t I craft this deck and use it myself? Because I have personal integrity and playing easy mode BS 1 turn win decks is below me, as it should be below everyone that can use more than 2 brain cells at once. But alas, here we are playing a game that a bankrupt, fraudulent company created so I guess jokes on us

3 Likes

You have explained how the game works, but that doesn’t mean it’s not BS. One turn kill shouldn’t be a thing in a card game. Period. All you have to do is have your combo/otk cards in your deck then have all other cards defense. Last game I played I had full health and over 30 armor and I was killed in one turn. I was destroying the other player, counter everything and predicted his next moves… until the OTK. Fact is with how well I played that game I shouldn’t have lost in one turn. Gradually…sure that’s fair. If he outplayed me then good on him. But he didn’t. I CLEARLY had the upper hand the entire game, but lost in one turn. Yes that means he had to have the combo cards in his hand all at once, but if that is the only downside to a deck then that’s not really a downside for heavy defense classes. I was winning for about 15 turns. FIFTEEN TURNS I OUTPLAYED HIM, AND HE DOES ALMOST 100 DAMAGE IN ONE TURN REGARDLESS OF HOW WELL I PLAYED. If you do not see the sheer BS in this then go apply for a blizzard job you will do very well.

2 Likes

The obvious counter-argument is that you didn’t really outplay them. You thought you did, and had you been playing against an aggro or control deck you would’ve in fact outplayed them.

But you played against combo and you failed to kill them before the combo was done, or you failed to disrupt the combo. Either way, you didn’t really outplay them.

This, of course, is immaterial to whether or not OTK combos should be a thing in the game. Even if you had managed to outplay them, maybe OTK decks are still problematic enough to be removed. Or maybe not. Bottom line is, just because you thought you were outplaying your opponent, it doesn’t mean you were in fact doing so.

9 Likes

I like how the game is broken because you void contracted half your opponents deck or did the Ren thing and destroyed the whole deck. Either way I love how you say its broken when you destroyed the other players deck and you lost. Id say you got out played and are pissed that someone with no deck beat you. So because someone beat you after you destroyed their deck thats BS to you but destroying someones deck might seem like BS to them.
Maybe you shouldn’t throw stones as destroying someones deck is just as upsetting as you losing to said persons deck you destroyed.
Id say deal with your loss and don’t get so salty cuz your meme deck lost.

9 Likes

I got bored so I booted up patternstone to play a match. I am playing Odd Paladin my Opponent Priest.

Turn 1 Northshire Cleric. What a shock.
Turn 2 taps NC and heals to draw a card. Amazed
Turn 3 Radiant Elemental with Powerword Shield. Flabbergasted.
Why these cards never pattern out this way in this game. I am shock to see this pattern unfolding
Turn 4 Duskbreaker. Blown away! I am totally surprised by this play. I never would have guessed this pattern.

The skill required to use pattern recognition, memorization and then just wash rinse repeat what you do 1000 times a season is just Amazeballs.

Got even more bored than I was IRL. Logged off and said no patternstone except for the daily remember?

5 Likes

Says the Odd Paladin.

Turn 1 Lost in the Jungle.
Turn 2 Hero Power.
Turn 3 Stonehill Defender.
Turn 4 Raid Leader.

“Wow, I am so skilled, look at this Priest that just had some curve. Oh, wait, that’s absolutely unfair, look at that pattern. Same pattern that I see every game, since lots of Priests run two Clerics, heal to draw cards, Radiant Elemental plus PW:S, Duskbreaker.”

You pretentious lemon.

9 Likes

Yep. This is why this forum has always been so awesome. The guy plays a deck my cat could pilot to legend and he criticizes a deck that counters him for being brain dead.

4 Likes

I’m in the same boat as you. When you have 28 health to your opponent’s 8 health and all he does is wait for the right cards to kill you with 80 damage in one turn is total BS! It’s basically a wait and see which card jumps out and hope the RNG goes your way.

Come on, everyone knows how erratic the RNG is. I’ve watched as mulligans got boomeranged, draws where high end cards are pulled first. Doubles of the same card showing. Games where nothing but 1 - 3 mana cards show up and you are at 7 or more mana into the game, or you’re holding cards on the first turn that are 5 or more turns out? If I was to play with real cards the way the RNG plays I would be called out for cheating.

I’m at the point where I just do dailies and call it quits while waiting for the next expansion.

2 Likes

Again you cannot complain about an 80 damage otk when you destroyed the players deck. Its the same damn thing except his killed you and yours just destroyed cards.
Its ok for a card to exist that can destroy someones deck. Yet its not ok for someone to get off an 80 damage otk. Theres some hypocrisy right there.

3 Likes

they dont care because they are just focused ON THEM…on their profit…money gain…we are just lab rats and piggy banks for them…team 5 sucks…damn greedy losers.

1 Like