29.2.2 Patch Notes

It was actually predictable. When zeddy posted the video pre nerf, I already commented it will cause a rise in Highlander decks now there’s no counter. Cos that what I myself would do. Craft a Highlander deck.

But I don’t think it’s fun playing Highlander vs Highlander every other game so I’m hoping the meta will change.

It’s not going to change, unless more players leave the game.

Then the devs and their supporters will pull the “wE cAn’T dO aNyThInG tO mAkE tHeM hApPy!”

And people will rightly respond that perhaps if devs actually kept their word, people wouldn’t have issues trusting them, and if they listened to feedback in the first place, they wouldn’t have to knee jerk fix things they broke in the first place…and player agency changes should actually give players…agency.

If you are playing plague dk the deck is stil good and its actually the best performing dk deck it outperforms rainbow dk

Also even if you dont shut off their reno the opponent has to beat you before they just lose to plagues and plague has alot of very good defensive tools as well as lifegain.

Out of curiosity what loander did you pick because i am assuming you picked plague dk ?

You’ve probably got no idea what you are talking about, have you now? :grinning:

Seems obvious from the post above.

Not that it’s a bad choice anyway in terms of value (see, for example, this), but currently, DK isn’t in a great position… Thus, Shaman might be more valuable at the moment, especially due to that swaggering bozo Reno.

https://www.hearthstonetopdecks.com/free-new-returning-decks-6-loaner-decks-to-choose-from/

handbuff paladin is back???

I could be wrong i just think that maybe plagues alone along with board pressuure could possibly win games.

1 Like

Elaborate on how you’re getting board pressure when warrior can put 14 armor on in one turn. This is doable on turn 3, and you’re not getting pressure before then. Sure, I have minions out before them, but they forge one card and they can clear all my small minions (do 5 damage then split 5). Even if you’re lucky and high roll your plague minions, they are online by turn 8 with 20+ cards still in their deck. If you don’t find Helya, your plagues are single use and 14 damage from 7 one use plagues is irrelevant when they put up 14 armor in a heartbeat and have two life steal zilliax with a card that will bring back to life 4 of them.

The plagues are neverending and thats why i thnk its stil decent im not saying im right just my thoughs also from what i gather it is the best dk deck if im right.

How do I put it politely… That’s a cute puppet theory, perhaps, but not how the game tends to work in practice. :grinning:

1 Like

It’s not tier one, but it consistently makes it to diamond based on what people are posting here.

And yes, if it hits right, the never ending plagues are bad for your opponent, especially if their deck relies on emptying their deck quickly.

Naturally, it and some others were weakened in the so called “PLAYER AGENCY” (rofl) changes, but they still work fairly consistently.

Welll as the meta unfolds well see what emerges as the best decks this to me is the fun period of the meta where everyone is trying to figure the meta out and you have different builds for the same deck i feel.

Anything that is able to win roughly half of the games could do that eventually, which isn’t amazing, to be honest.

It’s probably popular due to the free deck and/or because it’s cool, but that’s about it. About the latter point — less so since it no longer disrupts P2W Swaggering Bozo Reno decks (still does disrupt the singleton Paladin deck from Whizbang… which figures, I suppose).

It’s still too slow most of the time.

I’ve found that even a ‘rainbow’ (BUF) DK would beat a ‘pure’ plague DK most of the time, even though the former runs only a lesser plague package. As for the rest of match-ups…

First, I suppose, it’s worth mentioning that there used to be roughly two variants of plague DK: UUF with the excavation package, which was/is probably the most common one, and a tankier BUU. The former is a bit greedy, but very slow and vulnerable, especially to aggro. Moreover, I don’t even know why people considered it so good vs Odyn Warrior, which was notorious for drawing a lot of cards — nothing prevented them from brushing off some plague damage and just doing an OTK manoeuvre, once their Odyn was up; in fact, I’ve found an ‘RGB’ DK to be much more effective with a lesser plague package, more as a bonus and a finisher, while you could hold their face with freezimg weapons, as Helya slowly did her work (so satisfying, btw). But anyway, most of DK’s ‘tankiness’ comes from at least one Blood rune (although BUU still cannot afford excellent Quartzite Crushers in the deck), I experimented a bit with it (see also this topic, although my approach was a bit different) — it was more resistant to aggro, but suffered from insufficient card generation (something the excavation package helps remedy), which, combined with ineffective cards such as the Staff of the Primus or Distressed Kvaldir (you really don’t want cards that just do a little something in modern HS; it’s mostly about cards that do something major and/or generate more cards — or something along those lines), would result in the deck’s running out of steam. Ironically, sometimes it would lose even to singleton Warriors for this reason, despite disrupting their stuff with plagues. Someone had reportedly achieved more success with this deck by adding Reno to it [1], but that’s not relevant anymore anyway. Another curious point: I did win some games vs those annoying Shamans with this approach, though, since they would draw a lot, and more plagues were sometimes capable of disrupting their game plan — perhaps this was a match-up when plagues alone (well, almost: healing etc from the Blood rune would still help to recover from not-quite-OTKs sometimes) were most effective.

[1] https://www.hearthstonetopdecks.com/decks/unholy-blood-plague-death-knight-22-legend-unknown-whizbangs-workshop/

Anyway, as I was trying to say, plagues were mostly a bonus, including disrupting singleton decks — well, not anymore, and a way to eventually win longer endgames if your opponents drew a lot of cards — they didn’t really solve everything on their own (you’ll probably realise they are vitually nothing in comparison with post-patch T.N.T., which works the same way now). By the way, that’s why ‘RGB’ DKs were much more successful — some plagues and notably Helya were still a bonus, while they traded the rest for much better and efficient cards overall.

PS Some minor updates and edits made, besides, I’ll add a little comment: the past tense is used, since it’s no longer relevant anymore anyway in light of Warrior’s virtually absolute dominance after the recent changes (see above or something like this, for instance). Sure, some people are playing decks like spam Paladin or excavate Warlock (which is reportedly only a thing due to some bug, but I dunno the details, tbh) or just trying to play whatever they want for the fun of it, but frankly, it seems that, in a competitive sense, most other decks and classes are, as said, just irrelevant against the backdrop of almigthy P2W Wallet Warrior Agency™ (alreadly mentioned Reno, with bonus points for the irony of it, earlier), thus the discussion about which type of DK is better seems rather abstract to me. Budget or subjective fun is another matter, but that’s about it.

Please Blizzard, Please nerf quillboar. Anytime I try to play duo with my friend, no matter how big we get. It doesnt even compare to the power scaling of quillboar esentailly sittin there afk. Why on Gods green earth is there an end of turn bloodgem increaser. No skill required, really ruining the experience. Especially since mechs are still gone its all I see 90% of the time. I shouldnt have to concede until I get a lobby with no quill

I always play quillboar if it’s available.

Maybe you should too.

When can we get a Silence card in battlegrounds? To be able to neutralize a Leroy or poisonous card, even a 500/500 card back to original state. It could even be a spell that only lasts one turn but that would bring a lot more strategy to it.