23.2.2 Patch Notes

I get it. In the HS Grandmasters I saw a player lose with Cariel. The opponent didn’t even have Viper. That must have been a miracle then, like a yeti or a unicorn, because Cariel is auto-lose for opponent.

Still waiting for the Party Rating fix so me and my friend can play together without been nerfed to literally getting nothing every game regardless of end position.

7 Likes

Tbh. I don’t like the aim of the nerfs.

• The problem with the quest hunter is the quest pace and not dragonbane. I feel like that it won’t even affect quest hunter at all.
  • Demon hunter nerf is also not enough in my opinion and it will be a top tier deck still.

Battlegrounds:

• I don’t under Fungalmancer Flurgl nerf at all, with this naga meta he was considered a ~tier 3 hero imo.
  • The naga nerfs are great but i think nagas will be tier 1 still because of the synergy they have.
  • Darkgaze Elder nerf: ??? Who picked this minion before?
  • Young murk-eye nerf: I think This is great.
1 Like

Is it just me or are the BG nerfs to naga really light? I can’t see how any of that is going to change their end game scaling, its still going to be power level to 5/6 and get Siren/Athissa and win the game.

The nerfs to Darkgaze Elder and Young Murk Eye seem so out of place, neither card was dominating, albeit mostly due to naga, but with the naga ‘nerfs’ I still can’t see how other tribes are going to compete.

3 Likes

“Hero on battlegrounds is unplayable” Cmon, I saw jaraxxus wining with beasts yesterday

Lol let’s not debate using fringe cases here. I think anyone who plays even a moderate amount of Battlegrounds knows that selling 2 minions to randomly add ONE already underwhelming tribal minion to the tavern is a pretty troll hero to try to play.

It also just ruins the hero from a UX standpoint–adding a buffer of an additional minion really removes the feel that you’re “Juggling” murlocs. It will feel a lot more like “fishing”, which frankly, is a really easy way to get top 8 in Battlegrounds.

Totally agree. Quest Hunter is ridiculous to play against. It should have been nerfed so that the Hero Power has its cost reduced to 1 instead of zero. That would stop almost limitless damage being dealt and place a cap on the number of cards that can be played/uses of her power. Limit damage cards that can go face too.

DH needs less face damage options for sure.

If neither of these are implemented then other classes need a significant power boost to match these classes.

I would add the need to nerf mecha-shark from 3 damage to 2 at least.

2 Likes

can you nerf mechas please?

2 Likes

Hey you know that Fungalmancer is 2nd best hero at the moment right after Tess right? He had to be nerfed

Wrong. Murlocs with Young Murk-Eye could easly rivan Nagas and actually give them a run for their money during the late-game. Now Murlocs are going to be struggling a lot more just like every other Tribe not called Naga.

They went too soft with the Naga nerfs, i have to agree there. They need to nerf them further because right now they are unmatched, and it makes Bgs completely boring because EVERY SINGLE GAME has Nagas, and they didn’t fix the issue yet, only a band-aid at best.

Can you please show me what statistics specifically you’re referencing here? I find it so hard to believe that at medium to higher MMR this is true. I usually play around a 7200-7500 range, and I can say that the best strategies to climb in the Naga meta were to play heroes that capitalize on power tiering & getting passive tempo OR to play heroes that can increase consistency of hitting Naga (Tess, Scabbs, Rafaam).

I can say that Murlocs have felt WEAK since the nerf of Sefin to Avenge (4) & Coldlight Oracle to tavern tier 4–a nerf that was half targeted to Flurgl due to the impact of their buddy; Flurgl was noticeably weakened by the nerfs AND the loss of buddies.

I think it’s an incredible stretch to say that YME Murlocs could easily rival Nagas; you needed to get Golden Murk Eye, Brann, and Bagurgle/double Bagurgle to really rival their scaling. That’s 3 6 drops, 3 5 drops to really scale like crazy. Otherwise, any strategy revolving around Swolefins could easily be outright countered with Poison or Leroy, and checked with Multiple Divine Shield Naga.

Naga really only needed 1 or two Althissa & 1-2 Sirens to really get out of control. So you need 2 six drops & 2 3 drops plus whatever trash spell generation you have to start really scaling. It’s just a complete asymmetrical degree of what’s required to get huge scaling involved.

2 Likes

Not really. I got a single normal Brann and 1 Young Murk-eye, and scored some poisonous prior to that, and i could easly keep up with Nagas. The lobbies where murlocs are up and Nagas are heavly played, i run murlocs and usually do fine, at least top 4. The times i got crushed was because i had to go naga due to no murlocs and my opponents sniped the good ones before i did lol. Also easy fix to Leeroy Poison counter: Add taunt to your already-poisoned Murlocs. Works every time like a charm to keep my swollenfin untouched.
It feels like you are exaggerating. Murk-Eye def needed a nerf, but Naga needed to be nerfed a lot because Nagas don’t have just ONE overpowered minion: Pretty much half of them are, and they either didnt nerf or didn’t nerf them enough. That’s the issue.

Since BGs came out, I have not seen the game mode in such a poor state (except Diablo meta) as it is now. You rely so strongly on power heroes. There is just no diversity. buddies may have been a little one dimensional, but they did make a lot of obsolete, complete trash heroes at least playable and gave you options, with different playstyles to choose from. Do you wanna roll a on tier 2 lot and mess around? there’s a hero for that. Do you wanna focus on power leveling? There’s a hero for that. I get that you can still do that but without buddies it is a hell of a lot harder. The consistency is so poor. If I see 4 heroes that are not broken I know I’m gonna get hit for 25+ by some highroller and have a bad time, even if I scrape enough tempo long enough to survive.

If you can’t make a compelling meta without buddies… just bring them back. The worst part is the standard meta is also in a poor state, so I have not been playing a lot of hearthstone. This is probably the first time since beta where there isn’t one game mode that is at least playable to me. I hope you guys can find some sort of change that returns both metas to be diverse and fulfilling. Things truly were like that not too long ago.

How about BG bug when we can’t earn or lose rank while playing with friend??

1 Like

K, so Priest has to wait for the mini-set before they do something with it since they weren’t in the patch notes… What they are in the patch notes?.. Nope. I don’t think they are because where there should be buffs for the Priest class to make it competitive I see absolutely nothing.

I don’t want this to turn into a diatribe about tactics but I don’t want your comments on that to be unnoticed; yes, there is counterplay to Leroy. I do want to highlight a massive asterisk in your anecdotes–the fact that you scored ANY poison at all. Avenge (4) is often really hard to activate/the costs of doing so often can incur enough losses that you don’t really have enough HP to stabilize. The fact that you’re getting poison up at all is kind of lucky–it requires Sefin (a 5 drop) and enough HP not to die in the process–meaning you had a decently lucky run up until that point.

I appreciate that my tone may be a bit hyperbolic at points–fair enough criticism; however, I’m not at all convinced that Murk Eye needed a nerf–certainly Flurgl did not, and also certainly neither did Darkgaze Elder. Mathematically nothing was remotely close to the scaling of Nagas–double Bagurgle + Bran + Murk Eye (3 tier 5s & a tier 6) is still equal scaling to one Althissa, 2 spell crafts (any tier), and two Sirens (a 3 drop). Add a third Spellcraft Naga & voila–more scaling. And god forbid you get a second Althissa–nothing can keep pace with you at that point.

With the nerfs to Althissa & Siren, I think you can make the case that things are balanced between Naga & Murlocs, but honestly I think Poison is a terrible argument because not only does it require a lot of risk to activate, but also it’s been the single most controversial element in Battlegrounds for the entirety of the game mode’s history. Every time Poison is accessible, it’s too strong.

you realize making them dormant would make him stronger right?

that would give you a guaranteed turn with full mana for those minions

Amen. Although, I feel like there was sarcasm I was missing, since

• Having to restart the game ++dozen times per session
  • Straight up crashing from time to time
  • Not being able to browse the Tavern
  • Not being able to upgrade mercs’ skills/equipment
  • Having to try to understands dozens and dozens wrongly worded Tasks

feels quite far from taking the fun out :–D Neither does sometimes sound accurate, when the issues are the most constant feature Blizzard is currently offering in the mode. It feels just straight up unplayable. I sure hope there are fixes not mentioned in the Patch Notes. In the real world the people who paid real money for a broken product would deserve compensation.

Was REALLY hoping for some change to Plaguebringer > Flames of the Kirin Tor in Duels. It’s massively common, easy to get, and nearly impossible to beat. If they draw a single fire spell, you have to deal with 1 or more two-mana Fireballs every turn for the entire game. Very unfun and very unfair. Please fix…