22.2 Patch Notes

Checked this fact myself - you’re right. That comment was written too soon. Thank you for correcting my mistake.

4 mana sorcerer’s apprentice?? come ON.

Forum Moderator Note: This post has been edited by a moderator due to masked language as it is in violation of the Code of Conduct: https://battle.net/support/article/000256989

Agreed. It’s basically radiant elemental but twice as expensive and no tribal synergy.

1 Like

For the longest time OTK has been mages niche in wild, almost every deck that exists has been based off of sorcerers apprentice. Mage is really inferior for aggro archetypes and barely just barely playable in control variants at times, but lacks the value to go toe to toe with priest, warlock, warrior to name a few of the main classes that are good into longer games and while secrets is sometimes okay, specifically because certain secrets are good at disruption, the deck became clunky and weird as they kept adding more and more secrets to it and not properly thinking them over. I would recommend any wild player to never craft for mage going forward as it just doesn’t fill a niche anymore and is outclassed in virtually every way, it would need to see about 6-8 really valuable clearly superior cards in the next few sets to play catchups, otherwise it will just be weak for several years to come.

One of the reasons I have 33k dust now and I’ve just been hoarding it despite not really having a proper tiered deck, is because 1/5 of my legendaries from packs have been mage and my collection doesn’t scream out any other identity yet. It also seemed inevitable they would change sorcerers apprentice because people complain about the card a lot. It makes me wonder why they have so many classes if they truly do want to make some of the classes non-viable on a top level, like if I was playing magic I am sure even the weakest colour would have some worthy deck, because it is not so hard to balance 5 colours so much, so nothing you get from a pack is just a dead card, whereas in hearthstone 95% of a set is made of dead cards if we are talking from a wild perspective.

You have really missed a trick in duels. Duels is supposed to be a fun Dungeon run where the imagination of players comes to the fore building decks around unusual strategies. Questlines are played way too often and corrupt the nature of the game mode. They’re too easy to complete and boring to play against time and time again.

Ban questlines from duels…

1 Like

it was a 2 drop that could make you win the game on turn 4-6.
It was always problematic, because of flamewaker; now that they made incanter’s flow, mana biscuit, refreshing spring water, it became too good and too efficient.

The nerf is well deserved; a stat increase won’t make much difference, but they could do it

when priest will OTK on turn 4-6, it will be nerfed as well.

If I could decide how to nerf things, I would have nerfed all discounts so nothing can be reduced below 1

3 Likes

This is the worst bug. Please fix.

I fail to see the problem here because lots of aggro decks finish in turns 4-6, it’s a deck that has one win condition that if stopped can’t really do any more damage and runs out of fuel. I’d rather see APM mages once in a while then to see aggro priests, pirate rogue, pirate druid, pirate warrior. These decks are all the same.

2 Likes

Drek’Thar.

That’s why a change to 4 mana was needed.

They could just make an exception rule so Drek’Thar won’t spawn Sorcerer’s Apprentice instead of killing super old decks we were playing for years.

I don’t even have cards from other classes because i was always disenchanting non mage cards. I just focused on my mage decks but now after the patch none of my decks can be played any longer.

I’ve spent too much time and effort making these decks and im too old to start from zero again.

To be honest i still don’t believe this update will really happen.

That sucks.

That’s why it’s been adviced for years to avoid going single class.

Because posts like yours have been coming up in the forums for the 4.5 years I have been playing this game.

2 Likes

it makes a big difference as there are quite many summon/transform into 4 Mana minions and if that 4 mana minion has just bad stats for 4 Mana it is bad roll. I think there even is a mage secret that summons a random 4 Mana minion

2 Likes

Sorceress her stats dont matter whatso ever.
If a deck needs her effect it will still be amazing or even busted still potentialy in future in it, regardless of her current stats.

1 Like

This doesnt kill the old decks, while a nerf to not less than 1 would have.
your combo’s are still popssible just a bit harder to pull off

And even pre flamewaker it was capable of doing insane dmg in combination with mana wyrm.

Also not evry discount ever would need to be less then 1. Stuff like giants, inkmaster solia/dragoncaster/librams, thaurisan ,prep , ancient mysteries.

Basicly if reduce themselves or a single./set of very specefic cards that are desiigned to go to 0 its completly fine.
whereass (cheap) mass/general cost reduction is alot more problematic.

1 Like

Soon the Lunar New Year will start and I really want to see the review of Year of the Gryphon… :milky_way:

1. How many active players participated in game during the year of the Gryphon?
  2. How many victories players won in Wild, Classic and Standard formats?
  3. How many hours players spent in battlegrounds?
  4. How many arena, duels and tavern brawl matches played?
  5. Which is the most popular hero in arena and duels?
  6. How many spells cast by players across all game modes?
  7. How many viewers visited community events?

because it wasn’t an aggro deck, so it couldn’t be countered by the same things aggro is weak to.

Against aggro, you can play taunt, board clear, healing/armor and avoid getting killed.

Against this deck, you could have 40 health + full board and still die on turn 4, because that’s what an OTK does.
Since it’s an OTK that happened that early, the only counter was “hope the opponent doesn’t have the combo”; there wasn’t a counter, since you only had 4 turns before denying the combo.
Probably the deck didn’t OTK always on turn 4 (turn 4 was the earliest it could go I think), but flamewaker + apprentice was a combo that had to die, because it was very unhealthy for the game (playing theroetically infinite cards in an early turn while at 0 mana isn’t balanced)

The fact that all your mage decks are not playable after sorcerer’s apprentice nerf, confirms that the cards was broken and deserved a nerf.
If you like mage, there are secret mage, ping mage, highlander mage that doesn’t rely on sorcerer apprentice to win (since you focused only on mage, you should have all the cards required already, so you aren’t starting from 0).

these decks had a common denominator: they were all very cheap; the only non-free legendary card used (as far as I know) was Luna + maybe evocation (and Antonidas + Thaurissan if we really want to go back 3+ years), then there may have been some epics involved (ice block, ignite), so in total it wasn’t a huge investment

2 Likes

I guess all these changes are ok If you want to cut off strong combo decks like ignite mage, but I think it would be nice to do something with druids decks, because I don’t think that is rithg that they can get lots of mana in turn 1 or put off your mana and you can do nothing to respond, and I won’t entre to the discusion about druid gaining more armor than warrior

Something that has to do with Kazakus and Lady Prestor. Some sort of ritual is foretold. I’m thinking dragons or demons.

can’t wait for this aggro year to rotate out…i hope this game will be fun again sometimes in the future

Yeeeeeah great!!! Nerf the poor rogue, barely touch undestructible pirate warrio’ and leave the FANGKING clown priest for its own!!! Yeah clown priest is SO WEAK, yeah, yeah, YEAH!!! Are you serious? RLY BLZ??? That’s insane… that’s totally insane… TOTALLY!
Not a fan of this update… IN TOTAL!

Clown priest is LITERALLY a cancer of this game and possibly a cause why many players crushed their phones during gameplay. And IT IS NOT my opinion, that IS A FACT!!! Literally guys, L I T E R A L L Y!!!