Is Classic still worth it?

Classic is the most skill rewarding mode in the game however the meta is quite stale thats about the only downside i see.

Some players have suggested adding curs of naxramus or having a rotating format but then some argued then it wont be classic anymore if you did that.

I am more inclinded to say keep it as is so we can always go play the original version if we want to experience some nostalgia :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Can you disenchant cards from the classic gold pack?

Idk i would think that you can ?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That’s the best thing I’ve seen in a while on these forums. Avast, ye mangy currrs :dog2: … of Naxxramas, yarr! :pirate_flag: :parrot:

True enough.

What’s more, you wouldn’t be coughing up for yet another Shudderwock Theotar RNG monster pile of garbage exciting new set of cool cards :smirk: in yet another cycle of hype and disappointment [1].

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUpsudGHiRU

It’s the only one I play of traditional Hearthstone — and the only one I consider worth playing at all, although there’s also the nostalgia factor.

It might not be perfect, but back then the game design wasn’t nuts yet. It has been going mostly downhill since (despite some glimmers post-Naxxramas — while that horrible expansion will be remembered for the infamous ‘Bring out your dead’, it’s the likes of Sludge Belchers or even Loatheb that lasted somewhat after that nerf… which doesn’t mean the expansion was not horrible — the first one of many :grinning: ), as far as I can see. So yeah, if you wanna play without all those turn 1 OTKs, Shudderwocks, Theotars, ‘Lol, killed’ solitaire quests, et cetera, et cetera, where there are sometimes things like value, efficient trading and so on (not enough, though) — you might like Classic more.

Mind the recent Influx of bots in Classic, though.

Only you know what’s fun for you.

1 Like

Thank you for your opinions and insights, much appreciated! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Classic is BOOOOOOORRRRIIIIINNNNNGGG. However, there were plenty who created posts about how they wish hearthstone was how it was when it came out. Eventually Blizzard made Classic, the mode where nothing ever changes.

If you like stale bread, you’ll love Classic.

2 Likes

I would play wild instead.
It may seem expensive, but of you focus on what you like and not what’s tier1, you will eventually end up with a big collection of cards you enjoy.

I like highlander decks and by simply having reno jackson and zephyrs I could playany decks. Any new standard expansion also gives me more chances of refining what I have while not taking away from me my beloved cards.

Standard is temporary, classic is forever (until they release old expansions again) but it’s like reading the same book over and over again.

1 Like

Yeah, more repetitive letters in caps., please! ADHDADHDADHD?

And I can absolutely see why.

With this kind of logic, you might want to consider the contents of your local latrine — ever so fresh and regularly updated. :rofl:

So that you would have to cough up :moneybag: :dollar: not only for the new horrible cards, which is problematic — and reasonably so — for the topic-starter, but also for all the old, historic ones? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Somehow I don’t find that suggestion helpful at all for the questions raised.

Ha, a funny comparison on a forum where a substantial portion of the audience seem incapable of reading even a few lines, let alone a book. What’s more, to continue with this analogy, few have ever ‘read this book’, i.e. made their own deck, for example, even once — but yeah, surely it’s more exciting to keep buying new books with bright covers, taking a look and throwing them away, because they get old. Way to go!

I mean…that’s like complaining that you could only play vanilla wow…in wow classic.

That was the point.

Naturally, people came along who said “WHERE’S THE OTHER XPACS?” but people were clearly interested in playing the original.

Anyone thinking people wanted to relive boreloads of paymore has been hitting the Ironforge mead a bit too hard.

SO. MUCH. THIS!

People who want it changed want wild. That exists.

Then it’s not for you. Wild sounds more your speed.

Funny, that literally summarizes the “MUH CLASSIC IS BORING” in a nutshell.

As for OP’s question: yes classic is worth it. See the game when a team that cared about the game ran it.

1 Like

You’re right, it’s not for me because I don’t enjoy STALE bread.

1 Like

I play Classic for the Contest in a Rank-System and Casual to do some Fun Off-Meta-Stuff with the Cards i get in my Rewards and Packs

That’s the argument I would normally make in this kind of discussion (it’s not the first one I’ve had).

Not necessarily: maybe some would want HS to repeat its history, as WoW classic appears to have done. Of course, launching Naxx again would mean repeating the same mistakes again… Doing it with the Undertaker nerfed already might have been an interesting experiment, an ‘alternate history’, if you will, but… on the other hand, no, just no — there is still much to loathe in all subsequent expansions since the game’s launch, and Classic wouldn’t be Classic anymore by definition, losing it’s charm and even… some innocence, if you will.

So,

About the part in brackets — let’s hope not.

One more afterthought.

If you can call being beaten up by bots, clowns and netdeckers every time enjoyable… However, let’s get to the substance of the matter.

Or rather make your beloved cards less and less playable with each subsequent expansion.

You see, for example, Ysera — the classic one, of course — was my ‘first love’, so to speak, however, I used to find the original ‘meta’ a tad to fast to afford playing her. Each subsequent expansion, starting with the infamous ‘Bring out your dead’ and culminating with jade golems, pirate warriors and The Caverns Below, however, added only more nails to the coffin of that dream to play the Dreamer or even other cards like her. Nowadays you can try to play anything in Wild, but if you don’t do a turn 1 OTK or at least a board full of 60-60s or something like it, you’re gonna be a ‘noob’ and get ‘rekt’ by the aforementioned characters every time. Is that supposed to be fun?

Wild ladder is almost as fun as standard ladder; casual wild is funnier than casual standard for me.

To have fun I rely on casual.

Ysera may be a bad card (it is), but if they release more dragon support for standard, maybe it will become playable again (example: a paladin card that recruits a dragon from your deck).
In general a bad card has more chances to see play in wild rather than in standard; there are standard legendaries that never see play in their whole standard life

Classic is - along with Battlegrounds - the most balanced / skill based gameplay of hearthstone.
However - even more so than BG - it can be very repetitive after 50-100 games. Skill gets rewarded but detrimental to the fun factor (which is wild mode forte).

All in all, I’d say try every mode - try to beat every adventure as well - and pick your poison, this game has a gigantic amount of content.

1 Like

Your concession is accepted.

This, exactly: the whole reason classic was introduced was so people could have the original game. Pre sets, pre nerfs, pre current dev team. The problem with those who hate it is…they want the original, and more. Like those who want to play in a wild (a game mode with any card allowed), but with cards banned.

Can’t have it both ways.

It’s antithetical to the mode.

Which explains why a certain subset hate it so much.

Classic is just otk force of nature druid and aggro warlock.

Gone are the days of control warrior and freeze mage

It was years ago when I touched Casual last, but wasn’t it rife with the same kinds of clowns, trolls and netdeckers as ranked, meaning virtually zero possibility to play with ‘fun’ decks?

It’s the best legendary in the original game in terms of value, immunity to removals by BGH or Priest, good stat distribution and so on — in fact, it probably was the best legendary you could get in the arena (less so in constructed, though, but most legendaries, even very good ones, are actually not needed there, apart from Leeroy, Thalnos and maybe specific choices like Mukla or Cenarius for particular decks), and you should preferably know that before presenting your undoubtedbly expert analysis. :smirk:

The problem is that the Renathal effect (40 hp) should have been default since the beginning, in my opinion, or something like it — the biggest problem of Classic is too much ‘to da face’, Roguestone and Leeroy Jenkins.

Of course, nowadays virtually any card, especially of this cost, that is less than a whole package of Brann, Sire Denathrius, all the Astalors combined and so on is considered ‘bad’ and ‘weak’ by those miserable saps that buy into Standard, let alone the typical Wild ‘Big Priest turn 1 OTK over 9000 damage’ — have fun with that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, by the way. :grinning:

Yeah, we’ve seen that, and it was called ‘Blackrock Mountain’. No, thank you, try again.

Yeah, ‘nice’ advice, considering how a bunch of them are purchasable only with… ahem, Runestones at the moment. ‘Every’, yeah. :smirk:

‘Straw man’ again. That’s not what I was talking about, check the quotation again.

Ironically, the impossibility of such a thing as OTK was an important design principle back then. That’s right, I don’t think it’s technically possible, although there are a few combo-wombos that can come a bit close (you probably wouldn’t pull them off most of the time, though). Compare it with ‘destroy the enemy hero’ :joy: (just like that, yes) , which is probably considered ‘too weak’ in that freaky phenomenon that is somehow called the same name ‘Hearthstone’ as it was in 2014.

Anyway, the rest of this sentence reveals the same level of ‘comptenece’ as the presumption of an OTK existing in the original. :grinning:

Which were never really a thing :grinning: (talking about a competent analysis again), except maybe the freeze mage in closed beta or earlier (I wasn’t playing yet then, so don’t rightly remember), when it was a bit reminiscent of what modern day’s Frost DK or similar looks like and thus… was nerfed harshly, since such playstyle was considered noninteractive, therefore not fun and not allowed to be in the game according to the design principles that were formulated back then. When you look at how these principles have changed and compare ‘then’ to ‘now’, it should be obvious why people want and prefer Classic.

If you ever play legend in classic, it’s only druids and warlocks.

Also freeze mage and wallet warrior were massive until naxxramas.

The issue is nobody is playing Paladins to keep aggro in check and no mages to counter druid.

It’s a half played meta

Well, unlike you, apparently, I do. :grinning:

Tier 2 or 3 decks, as they say.

:rofl: The irony is that most of those paladins out there are aggro trash.

Actually, a proper Classic Paladin is a bit helpless against different kinds of aggro, by the way.

:rofl: Freeze Mage has a very, very tough matchup against druid, actually, and aggro mage is too inconsistent to speak of.

Freeze Mage is a niche deck, it has some powerful tools against the annoying (goblin-faceroll) rogues and all kinds of warlocks, so these matchups can be good, but a number of others are hopeless: druids, hunters with even a smidge of a brain, even warriors with lots of armour — that’s about it for this deck.

That’s somewhat true (there are still some ‘sleepers’ there), actually, but probably not for the reasons you mentioned — mostly because of bots, clowns and netdeckers who believe they’ve ‘solved the meta’… with some second-rate online guide, of course.

I doubt you ever have reached legend tbh

1 Like