From Loyal Player to Unsafe for the player base: A Diablo Immortal Tale

I’m a small fry by comparison, neither competitive nor well-known, but my account was just closed for the same “Offense: Severe Exploitation - Automation (Botting), Hacks, or Third-Party Software”. I have no idea why. It was a shock.

I’m using a 5-year-old phone and a hand-me-down Backbone controller; hardly a power user set-up. I haven’t participated in any player drama, purchased anything from the scammers shouting on the World channel, or installed any third party software. My first thought was that my account had been hacked, but I use the Battlenet authenticator, so that seems unlikely. From what I can see, there’s no sign of a virus on my phone.

I’ve opened a ticket to ask what happened. But, reading through this thread suggests I won’t get an explanation and certainly not a reversal.

I’m baffled and I’m sad. I was having fun. I wasn’t cheating or bothering anyone, I was smacking monsters to cope with my increasingly stressful job.

3 Likes

Hey, I was in that clan too for a while. I ended up quitting it, though, as I couldn’t trust the judgement of the clan leader…
I am sorry for your loss, it really is upsetting Blizzard banned you for a generic reason without even caring for a reconsideration. :face_with_head_bandage:

Just got my first chargeback approved (was doing all the work on one with the largest transaction to form a process)

Blizzard’s Breach of EULA: Blizzard has breached their own End User License Agreement (EULA) and In-Game Code of Conduct by terminating my account without any valid reason or warning. According to the EULA, “Blizzard may suspend or terminate your access to the Services, including without limitation for a breach of this Agreement or the Code of Conduct, or for any activity that Blizzard determines is unlawful, offensive, threatening, libelous, defamatory, obscene or otherwise objectionable.” However, I did not receive any such warning or explanation, suggesting a potential oversight or error in this process. Furthermore, the In-Game Code of Conduct emphasizes that “violating any of these expectations will result in account restrictions. More serious and repeated violations will result in greater restrictions.” Again, I was not informed of any violations, nor given an opportunity to address or rectify any issues.

Additionally I was making most purchases through google play and by store rules developer must provide a support email and reply to it within 3 business days.
I never got a reply, send email over a month ago at this point.

So there is light at the end of the tunnel :slight_smile:
Just not the blizzard tunnel with you returning to the game.

If anyone wants to recoup investments, you just need to make 1 last purchase (Xbox controller) :slight_smile: and be patient and stubborn ^^

Action Taken: Account Closure

Recent activity on this account has shown various actions deemed inappropriate for Diablo: Immortal. These actions violate our Code of Conduct and create an unacceptable detriment to our players.

at least you guys get a “reason” for me not even that XD

No one got an explanation, even youtubers that got banned. Customer support is literally non existent.

1 Like

So it keeps happening and no one at blizzard cares. Great :frowning:

lets see, maybe the new community manager will not ignore blizzards own forums completely :wink:
@GhostSignals

sadly my guess is that they are well aware but they are hand tied because all the anticheat relies on netease, and they can’t do anything.

Not that they would confirm or anything. Just maybe if we reach a point with enough cases for the profits to be severely affected, then maybe.

I know this rumor that its all not blizzard :slight_smile:
But I know from personal experience that netease in their other games do have customer support, and you can get them to look into bans and explain it
So no, this is all on blizzard, this is purely blizzards processes.

Well the new community manager seems to make 1 post a day xD maybe in half a year he will sort through 10% of the topics, but I have a feeling he has an order to ignore everything bann related, as it could unveil huge mistakes on blizzards end with legal consequences.

Definitely not an order, but something I need a lot more information on before I can really comment on it. I’m still learning how to look into things like Bans and actions against individual accounts. I am probably not the right person to talk to individual bans, and as much as people don’t like it, we will never be giving individual reasons for bans, because that information can and will be used to refine how people evade bans.

I will say I have already looked into 3 different people that say they were banned for using a Controller, and I can tell you right now, that’s not the reason they were banned.

3 Likes

yes ofc :slight_smile: the stated reason is almost always severe exploitation
but with this much transparency and so many people getting random bans (and the vast majority controller players) and servers flooded with “susan”, probably there is some ground for trust issues, don’t you think ? :wink:

1 Like

First of all, thank you for taking the time to address this issue. However, there must be a reason why someone gets banned. The assumption that it could be the controller is the only one that makes sense. You don’t spend 10,000 euros on a game just to risk getting banned. Anyone who invests 10,000 euros in the game doesn’t need to cheat or try to exploit the game, as the advantage is already significant. There must be another reason. That’s why we suspect it might be the game controller. On another Discord server with about 200 people who have the same problem, it’s noticeable that everyone who got banned used a controller. This is the common factor that connects everyone. That’s why there’s this rumor or assumption that it’s the game controller. Nothing else makes sense. I’m sure I didn’t do anything consciously to violate the game rules. I didn’t insult anyone, played in a successful clan, and gave my best every day. One day, the ban came. Therefore, I assume it was the controller.

1 Like

You’re absolutely correct, and I definitely understand the effect that the Susan bots are having on the game and the players. When Bots and 3rd Party sellers exist in a game community, it’s not good for anyone.

1 Like

and what about the effect of banns on the game ? :wink: specifically how theyr handled currently, and keeping in mind diablo immortal in china deals with it much differently (much better)

1 Like

Although I don’t think we need “individual reasons for bans”, I believe what this community needs are clear guidelines, more transparency and possibly a warning system (for minor violations). I 100% understand the philosphy about “giving out individual reasons can lead to ban evasion”, I quite like it honestly. However, if you combine this philosophy with a game that players put a lot of their money into and you keep radio silence (while banned players are being very vocal) you get a lot of worried and confused people in return.

There are games that just tell you the reason, there are games that with every ban wave throw some statement or chart at you, CN Immortal even used to publish the exact list of banned players together with the violation and ban time (don’t know if they keep doing it or not). I ofc. don’t expect the CM to answer or even check every “unjust ban” thread, but man, we’re Jon Snow here, we know nothing…

I’ve been playing DI for almost 2 years and honestly I don’t even know if farming platinum with alts from the same account/different account is allowed or not, or afk farm, skipping elevator in dungeon (I mean technically it’s an exploit) etc. I know players are doing all of these (and more) and everyone claims something is safe, but nobody really knows. It’s really basic stuff that nobody from Blizzard came out and talked about.

What I’m trying to say is: It’s hard to follow rules you don’t know or understand.

2 Likes

The current discussion, which has gathered various forum posts here, revolves around the fact that some people, including myself, are 100% sure that we did nothing wrong. At least, we don’t know what we did wrong, except that we invested a lot of money into our accounts to gain advantages that can be purchased in the shop. This can also be seen in my account history.

It is important to tell people the exact reason for their ban. I don’t want an explanation of the mechanics, I just want to know the reason: “You were banned because you did this and that.” Only then can we examine the evidence and find out what we might have done wrong.

Did I have an antivirus program on my computer? Did an update from another game cause a problem? Or did another major publisher’s anti-cheat program cause the issue? Did a hardware connection with the Xbox controller and the USB cable trigger the ban? Many of us played with a controller, and I had my controller connected to the PC to charge it. There are many possible reasons that we don’t know about. Was all this considered?

As mentioned before, the majority of banned players used a game controller. I don’t want to exaggerate, but I claim that it’s 95%. I don’t want to advertise a Discord server here and I don’t even know if it’s allowed, but through research on YouTube, it’s quite easy to get to the Discord server. I invite Blizzard and the Community Manager to join the Discord or allow me to post the link here so we can find a solution together.

Not all banned players are cheaters. Systems can also have errors. That’s why it’s so important to talk to those affected. What do we want? We want to enjoy our good times with our friends and social contacts again. Now it’s up to Blizzard to let us back into the game.

1 Like

And yet, after two years of the game being live, you haven’t bothered to implement server-side chat filters to prevent the adverts endlessly appearing in World Chat. Players have to report/block these spammers until their personal block lists are completely full, then clear out their block lists, and start all over again.

3 Likes

Add chat filter is the best solution here or auto remove the blocked player from the block list when they got banned, so the players don’t have to manually remove the block list when it was full.

2 Likes

Pretend for a moment there is something wrong with however cheaters are identified and innocent people are getting tagged. The flow of events would then be:

1. Playing the game as intended.
  2. Receive email that your account has been closed for extensive cheating. There is no recourse.
  3. You’re left wondering what happened. The end.

Putting aside the significant amount of money that some players have invested and other issues, such as the Susan bots, etc., if there is indeed something wrong with how cheaters are identified, that’s a bug that should be investigated and hopefully fixed. How, in the current set up, does a player or group of players raise the issue?

5 Likes