My friend just had his 3080ti fried by this friggin game

This could even be related to some possible custom tuning of the GPU, as you stated “he isn’t an idiot when it comes to making a PC” if he over-tuned the GPU he is out of luck for warranty as well, if so, I wouldn’t mention any custom tuning to the GPU supplier.

1 Like

We are seeing enough of these reports specifically with 3080ti and 4090 gpu’s that I’m very concerned. I’ve been playing the game on a system using a 1080ti and have no intention of ever loading it on my 3080. Just too many reports of these gpu’s exploding while playing the game. Could be bad drivers by nvidia. Either way, spooky stuff.

Just a wild guess but did your friend go ‘eww fans make to much noise’ and download a fan controller to set the speeds to like 20%? Or perhaps dust blocked up the GPU and it couldn’t cool.

Its either one of those two things or the card was faulty: But the card should have safty means to protect against hitting TJMAX. Sounds more like a him problem then the game problem.

1 Like

blizzard did not fry your video card

2 Likes

Lemme guess, a Gigabyte one, right?

People dismissing this should go take a look at the tech support forums, including this thread: [Main Thread] Game Freezes/Crashes GPU fans screaming when opening specific UI Elements - June 2023

The game has serious bugs including a problem many are having that drives temps up 10-20 degrees just when looking at certain UI elements or talking to certain vendors. It’s not like the games graphics are just of such amazing quality it’s pushing people’s systems to the limits, it’s major bugs that are needlessly stressing people’s hardware far beyond what the game should be doing.

Should a system be able to handle being pushed to its absolute limits and not fail? I suppose, but the game is clearly not optimized and has severe performance related bugs, including ones driving people’s GPUs to the limits at times when they shouldn’t be IE: just standing in town vendoring stuff.

If not for these bugs and issues you really can’t say that those people’s hardware failures would have happened. Maybe they would have gone a year or multiple years before the hardware was pushed to failure.

1 Like

Diablo 4 caused my hardware to fail.

Whenever I build a PC, I install and run the latest version of 3D MARK with the highest settings my hardware is spec’d for on loop for 48 hours to make sure nothing “breaks”. I know there are system integrators, or novice system builders who cut corners. Also, Video cards are mass-produced and a certain percentage of them are defective in every batch.

2 Likes

I mean, it’s ok if you dont know a Lot about pc parts, technology, programming and what not…not everybody knows everything… But it would be at least a Little More mature and Smart if you research a Little bit before posting something on a forum where a Lot of people are going to read about it … Now you just Made a fool of yourself saying a game fried a 3080 and that you are also not gonna play it because of it.

1 Like

Nope, not true. Doesn’t work like that sorry

Nothing I said was untrue.

We have had this problem since day one.
First there was a blue post saying it was “punctual”, the post disappeared.
Now they don’t say anything, they’re just letting time go by to see if things calm down.
The post that @Borg puts has more than 400 answers and there is still not a single answer.
The game has a serious problem, and it may break your GPU.

Actually my cpu fan died playing this game. Idk if this is a coincidence or not but my cpu went insanely hot and i noticed it in amd ryzen master. Lucky i got a new fan now. But yea it went up to 95 - 100 wich caused the downthrottle and that corelated into low fps and lagg. Now its all fine but still manages to hit 70 - 80 sometimes. All other games i play now run at around 50 - 60 tops. Now this is not related to a gpu wich on my rig only goes up to 45 - 50.

That just means it is using as much of your card power as it can for smooth gameplay, especially if you set the card to “maximum performance” in card software and Windows.

If you feel it’s too hot, clean up the dust in your fans and and set a maximum framerate for the game in the options or from your graphic card software.

If it still is getting too hot, you might need to contact manufacturer for an exchange.

(post deleted by author)

A game cannot break hardware unless said hardware has an underlying problem. It can be many things from fans, to temperature monitoring, etc.

There are MANY failsafes in your computer to tell it to slow or shut down before anything is bricked. Even a software designed to get your components as hot as possible cannot break anything unless the hardware is faulty or the failsafes are not working for some reason.

I know it’s easy to blame the last thing you were doing when it broke, but it’s generally not the real culprit.

1 Like

To be fair, many are told told to set Windows and their card software on “Maximum performance” without understanding what that means.

Then they are surprised when their faulty hardware breaks because the game/software used “Maximum performance” as indicated by user.

But in the end, it’s still a hardware issue.

This makes me really wonder if I should update my old 1080ti which doesn’t have any of the problems these new cards do.

I’m running it one notch below the highest settings on my 4790k, 1070ti, 9 yr old system with no problems except for an occasional disconnect.

Great idea, if I ever build me a new rig, ill do that.