Crash instantly after 1.1.1 update following Fenris crashing

Can’t speak to your disconnect issue, unfortunately. Staying connected to the server isn’t an issue for me, it’s just the game crashes. And yeah, it’s pretty demoralizing that there’s no inkling that blizzard knows or cares about this.

Update, first off James and Logan with tech support were great to work with, after all the quick fix, hot fix updates and reinstalls we performed a HWMonitor while running D4 and found it instantly overheating my CPU to 100+. Contacted my builder and he cleaned and reapplied new thermal paste. Game is running just like it did on launch. I dont know if the recent updates have the game drawing more power than release month to push the system harder but if you have a crashing to desktop from launch / char select / or loading into game recommend performing a HWmonitor test. Thanks to all that assisted in fixes along the way, cheers.

1 Like

This right here is why I think a lot of the Fenris errors have to do with hardware issues of some sort, be it CPU or Memory problems. And they can be a mild problem, that might not impact your system any other time. But show up when taxed.

I know many don’t like hearing that, but this thread is a perfect example.

I have never had one on any of my systems yet.

2 Likes

this is not a solution

how can i get in touch with tech support i cannot get of any humans and it is frustrating.

This is a solution for him if the cause of the crashes was one.

The attached thread has instructions on what to look for. If you are unsure about something, you can ask players here on the forum while you wait for a reply from tech support.

I think he didn’t need to wait a week to realize that the hardware is overheating.
Some of you may be in the same position when your PC is running unstable. And it’s worth checking out. Your PC should be stable under any load. If you deny any possibility that your PC is unstable, you can also wait for patches that are unlikely to fix it. The most that can change over time is to fix the fps limiter, vsync or the temperature in your room will drop significantly due to weather changes.

1 Like

It was for the thread creator. And that’s all that matters here.

1 Like

Lost 3 HC toons including my 92 today, due to this Fenris crashing. I’d say post patch, I’m crashing 2-3 times per day.

It’s a shame this game is such dog water.

Done with this trash game.

Lost my 92 HC today to fenris crash.

Done with this garbage game.

Since installing 1.1.1 I have been experiencing crashes. It happens often when either I get on my horse and start riding, or open a portal to town. I have tried several fixes found online including deleting my LocalPrefs file, clean reinstall of video drivers, and scan and repair on the game. I have no overclocking, and nothing is overheating. I know because I ran extensive testing on the cpu/gpu/psu with no issues. Windows is up to date.

This is absolutely related to the patch. 1.1.2 doesn’t appear to have solved it. Stop passing the buck and just admit you screwed this up royally and it’s probably going to take months to fix. Amazing that the game you made over 2 decades ago runs flawlessly on modern hardware, but a game made for modern hardware crashes like it was made for Windows ME.

1 Like

almost unplayable
prism device removal detected error 1

Not sure if this is helpful to anyone but I have the Armory crate with my motherboard, each time I did a detect update apparently I was up to date. Yesterday I went into the drivers themselves and saw that my chipset and graphics for my motherboard were running the older versions, to make sure I went back and did a detect update from the other screen and no updates were required.
I went back to the tab and manually updated the 2 now the game runs like it did prior to the 1.1.1 update.

Hi.

Some of you guys said there is no error message. Are the things leading up to the crashes something you can check in the Fenrisdebug log file in the install folder? C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo IV on windows check for Fenrisdebug.txt or the archives _FenrisDebug-1.txt 1-7

TP’ing should be done by the warpmanager. And any crash dump should be in a file as well if it was able to be saved. If its a regular ram issue you should see many allocation issues like this. Check timestamp on the left so you can make sure its the correct file

|E 2023.08.16 20:07:31.372930|[Game] [Prism] Out of memory when creating buffer |
|---|---|
|E 2023.08.16 20:07:31.373079|[Game] pm_dx12::Device::CreateGraphicsPipelineState: CreatePipelineState Failed - Error : OutOfMemory, SystemCode : 0x8007000E (E_OUTOFMEMORY)|
|I 2023.08.16 20:07:31.373094|[Sigma] --- OS memory stats -----|
|I 2023.08.16 20:07:31.373101|[Sigma] Virtual Mem Total: 16334.79 MB|
|I 2023.08.16 20:07:31.373105|[Sigma] Virtual Mem Used: 16326.57 MB|
|I 2023.08.16 20:07:31.373108|[Sigma] Virtual Mem Used by Process: 9294.86 MB|
|I 2023.08.16 20:07:31.373110|[Sigma] Phys Mem Total: 16334.79 MB|
|I 2023.08.16 20:07:31.373112|[Sigma] Phys Mem Used: 10806.86 MB|
|I 2023.08.16 20:07:31.373115|[Sigma] Phys Mem Used by Process: 6003.82 MB|
|I 2023.08.16 20:07:31.373117|[Sigma] --- OS memory stats end-----|
|I 2023.08.16 20:07:31.373174|[Game] Trying to allocate VB again after purging from CPU Cache.|
|I 2023.08.16 20:07:31.373586|[Game] Trying to allocate VB again after purging from GPU Payload Cache.|
|I 2023.08.16 20:07:31.374095|[Game] [Prism] 1896: Purged 132 entries from the render and compute pipeline caches in 0.969ms|
|E 2023.08.16 20:07:31.385885|[Game] pm_dx12::Device::CreateGraphicsPipelineState: CreatePipelineState Failed - Error : OutOfMemory, SystemCode : 0x8007000E (E_OUTOFMEMORY)|

Do you have your swap file disabled? If so, you have created your own problem and there is no leak.

Would you please stop with that? You have a fixation about this.

I have already proven that it doesn’t matter at all. Two months with no swap file enabled and absolutely no issues at all, D4 or anywhere else. Just as I expected.

That said, enabling it is the preferred option. Setting it to automatic is fine or you can custom set it to any size you want, however I personally don’t recommend setting it to more than the amount of your memory. Some will tell you to set it to double or four times the memory, and that’s just idiotic. Any effect they think they are seeing is Placebo at best.

Swap files need to be enabled on the fastest drive in your system which is usually these days an SSD. This is for performance.

However, swap files have writing constantly going on in them, but usually in small amounts unless you have a low amount of RAM. (more RAM, less swap file use)

So that means more wear and tear on an SSD. This is one of the reasons I choose to disable mine, along with file indexing. It lowers the amount of abuse the SSD receives. But I’m also using 32GB of memory. I would not recommend disabling swap files on a system with less than 20GB, to prevent the chance of out-of-memory problems or program issues.

Since you have 16GB, you should have it enabled, and I would allocate a minimum of 8GB for that system.

But hey, you do what you want to do. Just don’t accept everyone’s idea of what to do. Do your research.

Game on.

You can see that it’s running out of virtual memory. The default setting is set to auto.
He still has a third of the RAM free, but virtual memory has run out. That’s the effect of disabling the swap file.

Just read something about virtual memory.

This disk space probably won’t even be used. It will simply be reserved. But since it cannot be reserved, the application is denied memory allocation, although there is RAM for it.

If you feel so bad for SSD just buy more RAM. But since RAM is much more expensive per GB than disk, normal people use disk and swap. That’s actually what it was designed for.

I dont have a problem though anymore, it was merely used as an explanation on how to get info that leads to a crash when you might not get an error message. This can help others diagnose the problem. I have disabled pagefile yes and am not planning on enableing it ever. What is funny is that I was trying to explain this to someone over on discord as well when I was replicating the issue a few days ago…

Actually all the memory had been used:

So yes, they had maxed out the memory and crashed.

And they stated they had it disabled. And I had said what earlier?

No. The system will move items to swap that are not high priority or in use for a while. While I will agree wear and tear will be at a minimum, it will still occur. SSDs don’t work like HDDs. Each time a change is made to a block of space on an SSD it uses the next block. It doesn’t re-write the same block, unlike an HDD when HDDs use swap files. This is due to drive designed wear leveling. Though I will say that having the disk indexing enabled is far worse than swap files… lol

All virtual memory has run out. Virtual Mem Total = Virtual Mem Used.

Phys Mem Total > Phys Mem Used.
Phys Mem Total - Phys Mem Use = 5 527.93 Free RAM

And you keep ignoring the 6k used by processes. Its still all used. 6+10 is 16, is it not?