Crash instantly after 1.1.1 update following Fenris crashing

This is still happening to me. It’s incredibly frustrating when you’re in the middle of a dungeon.

Though I am seeing a lot of people say their screen is freezing. Mine doesn’t freeze, it just killed the game and gives me the Fenris error dialog box with a “Reopen” a “Report to Blizzard” and a long string of characters.

Sucks cause I am having a blast in the game…might just have to request a refund until they figure this out.

I think i’ve been having every single type of Fenris crashes since the game is release. This time, however, I was able to play for 6 days just fine but just at the beginning of a Nightmare Dungeon today I got the crash

This is a new one, don’t remember getting this error before the latest patch so there it is:

W 2023.08.12 23:39:32.217424	[Online.Systems.CPresence] Unhandled bnet account presence field | presence_field_id: 23
I 2023.08.12 23:39:42.521795	[Crash] Thread 'RenderWorker0 (Dir. Shadow)' handling fatal error
I 2023.08.12 23:39:42.523761	[Crash] UnhandledExceptionFilter
I 2023.08.12 23:39:42.523910	[Crash] Crashed thread: 'RenderWorker0 (Dir. Shadow)' (0x10bc)
I 2023.08.12 23:39:42.523983	[Sigma] --- OS memory stats -----
I 2023.08.12 23:39:42.524041	[Sigma] Virtual Mem Total: 41725.30 MB
I 2023.08.12 23:39:42.524106	[Sigma] Virtual Mem Used: 36416.36 MB
I 2023.08.12 23:39:42.524157	[Sigma] Virtual Mem Used by Process: 18035.36 MB
I 2023.08.12 23:39:42.524206	[Sigma] Phys Mem Total: 32509.30 MB
I 2023.08.12 23:39:42.524255	[Sigma] Phys Mem Used: 19319.36 MB
I 2023.08.12 23:39:42.524302	[Sigma] Phys Mem Used by Process: 8573.87 MB
I 2023.08.12 23:39:42.524359	[Sigma] --- OS memory stats end-----
I 2023.08.12 23:39:42.524428	[Sigma] Opening dump file
I 2023.08.12 23:39:42.524573	[Sigma] Dump file opened
I 2023.08.12 23:39:42.524639	[Sigma] Starting dump
I 2023.08.12 23:39:42.813015	[Sigma] Created dump after 1 attempts
I 2023.08.12 23:39:42.813205	[Sigma] Saved dump file to 'E:\Diablo IV\Fenris-0.dmp'
----------------------------------------------
<ERROR-0>

UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: ACCESS_VIOLATION (c0000005) at:
DBG-OPTIONS<NoAddress NoFuncOffset NoImage>
DBG-ADDR<00007FF72D96559D>("Diablo IV.exe")
DBG-OPTIONS<>
</ERROR-0>

Non-solution but interesting update here.

D4 uses the Windows screen resolution settings. We cannot change the resolution we use in game, only the Windows default screen resolution. I’d been using a 200% increased display setting in Windows as I’m running in 4k and my vision isn’t the best even with these Coke-bottle glasses I wear. Anyway, after a crash I changed the Windows resolution setting called “Scale” to 100% rather than the 200% I was using and launched the game again for the heck of it.

I was able to play for a solid hour or more without a crash. I’d even go so far as to say that the game ran better than I’ve probably ever seen it run. Unfortunately it did eventually crash but this was such an improvement that I thought I’d pass it along.

same here, with no end in sight…i’ve tried just about everything as far as self diagnostics go. This is the only game that gives me issues and its only post 1.1.1.

im having them aswell since the latest patch. sound is still working the world sounds alive and not on loop like a crash. no error waiting for minutes doesnt help all i can do to fix it is to restart the game by killing it from task manager. this is clearly a new bug caused by the patch

Same here. I had a very stable pre-patch experience and now I totally quit playing since the last few days.

Got disconnected when teleporting…when entering the outskirts of a town…when entering a dungeon.

To be clear, I`m not disappointed when such bugs appear but I am really concerned when there is no statement addressing this issue from blizzard…

I`m afraid that we are an acceptable minority and that makes me mad.

1 Like

Yup, same here. Before the patch I would crash like every 10h or so. Now, teleporting from anywhere causes a fenris crash. Have tried around 20 “fixes” suggested in forums, etc… 3 days wasted. Nothing works. I feel guilty for even buying a blizzard game at this point, should’ve known better. I just hope people will realize what blizzard is doing and wont buy anything, so they eventually have to take care of their customers.

Same. Game was relatively stable and now just since today, every few teleports to a dungeon and Fenris crash.

C’mon Blizz, I’ve been pretty positive and supportive of this game in spite of it’s flaws and all the negativity.

Literal game breaking issues like this will turn away your remaining positive player base, please take care of this ASAP.

C’mon Blizz, I’ve been pretty positive and supportive of this game in spite of it’s flaws and all the negativity.

I feel exactly the same way. Bugs are a part of life, it’s not a big deal in the long run, but the total lack of communication about bugs that render the game literally unplayable really makes you start to wonder whether people like us are just a minority they’re willing to sacrifice, if they’re even aware of these problems at all.

2 Likes

Right there with you…it’s a shame it’s come to this.

I solved my Fenris crashes as a result of 1.1.1. Here’s the post I made about it. I hope it works for you.

Good luck.

1 Like

Astonishing to think that this game is so badly optimized that this may be necessary. And just to stress, these crashes were not happening for me earlier last week. It started on Thursday, after several days of completely normal gameplay. So it’s not like my hardware and current settings were never working…

This just happened to me not long ago. :upside_down_face:

I figured out a partial solution.

Running the game windowed at 800x600 on lowest graphics, it appears to be stable. Seems like a VRAM leak, which hopefully will get fixed in an upcoming patch.

The recent update was to stop the VRAM leak that was already there, it appears that this issue is mainly happening to those who have a high spec PC with a good graphics cards, Not sure how they fixed the last leak in 1.1.1

GarlicDemon, I tried your suggestion but when I tried to leave three dungeons I still got a network disconnect and couldn’t go back to finish so I lost out finishing each dungeon, lost access and the sigel and didn’t get the upgrade to my Glyph. It was worth the try though.

I’m still experiencing all the same:
*Everytime you teleport now you network disconnect usually
*Everytime you teleport into or out of any dungeon especially nightmare dungeons you network disconnect and cant finish
*Everytime you teleport to different towns you mostly network disconnect
*When I hover over Legendary items they dont show anything have the time. The same with malignant hearts.

You lose everything you cant carry in the dungeons plus you have to endure network disconnects in Helltide over and over and I lost all I had collected over twenty five minutes when the game just crashed.

The only workaround is to get your sigels and take your horse to the nightmare dungeon. When inside, don’t leave until you get what you were after and finish and then network disconnect to go back to town…LOL

By the way this is simply unacceptable! I think what pisses me off the most is the devs wont talk about it…why? Isn’t that what this forum is for…to get answers?

Everything was pretty good before 1.1.1 and we could manage to get through the game and have some fun with minor disruptions. Now its all disconnects every ten minutes or so and the fun of the game is going out the window!

I think the devs should address this issue and not just say its a hardware issue. Garbage! We’re all experiencing the same issues so its the game or the servers.

Help us out so we can continue to play the game that we’ve all come to love.

In its present form its only a shadow of what it once was…

Yep. Fenris errors are back for me too.
I’m done with this game. They just have no idea how to develop a game.
No issues retail launch, only since they started patching it.

yee… hardware issue (LOL) they just dont give a fu… about it, I NEVER have a SINGLE crash before 1.1.1, after that patch my game is unplayable crashing like crazy , i do all what i can (updates all ) (OFF OVERCLOCKING) and nothing help , its GAME problem not ours PC …

1 Like

Can’t speak to your disconnect issue, unfortunately. Staying connected to the server isn’t an issue for me, it’s just the game crashes. And yeah, it’s pretty demoralizing that there’s no inkling that blizzard knows or cares about this.

Update, first off James and Logan with tech support were great to work with, after all the quick fix, hot fix updates and reinstalls we performed a HWMonitor while running D4 and found it instantly overheating my CPU to 100+. Contacted my builder and he cleaned and reapplied new thermal paste. Game is running just like it did on launch. I dont know if the recent updates have the game drawing more power than release month to push the system harder but if you have a crashing to desktop from launch / char select / or loading into game recommend performing a HWmonitor test. Thanks to all that assisted in fixes along the way, cheers.

1 Like