CPU temperature gets ridiculously high

Been noticing for last few weeks CPU temp is getting ridiculously high in this game.

D4 is the only game this happens with. Even sitting in town doing nothing but salvage etc and the temps rise & spike. gets worse in dungeons or events.

I am running a intel i9 12900k I have my P cores set 3.7 & my e cores set too 3.4ghz my total cpu usage never goes above 32-33% while individual cores will go up too 76%.

I have my frames locked at 100 foreground & 60fps for background everything turned low which I should not need to do. using HWMonitor I noticed my package & several cores thermal throttled at 100C

My system is watercooled through 2x360 radiators & 9 intake & 1 large exhaust fan there is something within this game core that is not playing nice.

My GFX card intel RTX3800 which is in the same cooling loop never goes above on the hotspot at 61C

1 Like

If youre CPU was truly getting to 100C your computer would shut off. When was the last time you applied thermal paste to your CPU?

The game loads the whole map and uses alot of ram, the cpu will work alot more with this game, no different than a typical mmo

I’ve noticed my machine will get hot running d4 on ultra on 1440p at 144hz, around ~70c. If I drop the fps down to 60 my temps go down to ~55c. But according to your post and saying you have the cooling capacity. My guess is something is wrong with air flow, thermal paste, faulty pump, air bubble in the pump, something a long those lines. 9 intake fans with 1 exhaust seems like it is not balanced correctly. I know you have one “big” exhaust but the rpm and air flow through that fan probably doesn’t match 9 intakes. Best of luck. I’ve got 4 120mm intakes, 2 120mm exhausts plus the 3 fans on my GPU. 3 intakes on the front, one under the GPU. Exhausts are mounted on the top blowing out.

My fan died playing this game, had to buy a new one for my ryzen. Even with a noctua it still goes up to 70 sometimes. I think some of the clockspeeds just go nuts and it cranks up the voltage for some reason even on low settings. Mine was pre noctua 95 hitting the top resulting in downthrottles but kinda scary if you dont know you can damage your cpu. Even some gpu’s seem to have this problem.

So I’ve been having this exact same problem with Diablo IV and absolutely no other program.

i12900k with a 4090-

My CPU temps are 90+ celcius basically no matter what settings, normally about 95-100C.

It scares the crap out of me but it doesn’t ever crash.

I also just recently installed the 1700 thermal bracket and new thermal paste,
no difference.

are you certain the game is utilizing your GPU as the primary graphics processor?

open this folder
Documents\Diablo IV
open LocalPrefs.txt
Change “Adapter” value from 0 to 1 … or 1 to 0 and see if it makes any difference

my game utilizes about 12% CPU with settings on low and my GPU doing the work

Ryzen 9 5900x (max temps 52c)
ASUS ROG STRIX 3080oc

Diablo IV is killing cooling fans now.
:clown_face::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I have a Ryzen 9 5900x that typically sits around 65c max during gaming under a NH-D15. Have had zero issues with my set-up in the past, until D4.

Every few minutes (anywhere between 1 minute to 5) it’ll randomly spike to almost 80c for just a second or two before going back down to usual temps. Doesn’t seem to matter where I am or what I’m doing.

CPU usage is never higher than 20-25%, and does not change during the temp spikes.

Performance is otherwise fine, but it’s very jarring having my case fans go haywire intermittently like this. GPU temps have so far been normal.

This did not happen during the Beta or Server Slam.

I have my own thread going about this, here.

Bumping this thread again

Anyone defending Blizzard when people with all sorts of consoles and different PC specs are having serious issues are clowns. My ps4 had never gotten as hot as it did when playing D4. My harddrive is ruined now. Coincidence right?

Diablo destroys everything, even disconnected devices nearby hahaha

D4 broke the mcdonald’s ice cream machine again :frowning:

having the same issue. ryzen 7800X3D, noctua NH-D15, average temp 45-55°C, but every 30-60 seconds after some gameplay, the fans ramp up FULLSPEED and the temp reaches up to 81 degrees. meanwhile the cpu usage does not change. cant be healthy for cpu i guess. newest agesa 1.0.0.7b non beta bios, newest chipset drivers, i mean its this game that makes the cpu go crazy, with a max power consumption of 40watts.

im playing at 1080p capped at 90 fps.

81 C is completely healthy for this CPU, it ramps up clock (overclocking) deliberately to provide more performance and heat up until it reaches temperature ceiling. This is completely normal.
If you don’t like CPU behaviour, disable PBO boosting in BIOS.
If your fans speeds are doing sudden spikes and are too loud, I suggest adjusting fan curve or change your cooling solution.

1 Like

To give you my example:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (16) which I own, have base clock of 3.80 GHz. Tccd temperature has a limit of 90 C. If this limit is not reached, CPU will overclock itself up to 4.7 GHz (!) That’s 0.90GHz more than factory speed. TDP will be breached as well, by default, because motherboards by default allow for it. So, this CPU will not eat 105 W as specification says, but more, even up to 140W.

Intel CPUs do this as well.

Sure up to 89° is officially healthy, but drastical temp changes from 50 to 81C in a second, - every 30 seconds - and directly falling back to 50C afterwards, makes me nervous when there is such a fast constant temp change in that high range.

I now disabled PBO and set windows to max CPU speed 99%, so its not boosting anything anymore.

My cooling solution is enough, one of the best air coolers on the market, other people reach up to 90C constantly, coming from 60C, when their CPU spikes in D4.

Doesnt seem to me like normal behavior anyway. Must be the way the game handles data packages or something so that he suddenly boosts for just a millisecond. Never heard someone having these drastical issues anywhere else yet. this is not an usual clock boost behavior, and 80C is not the ceiling, neither is the watt ceiling reached.

I did not change the fan curve because I wanted to monitor the problem better and the ramping fans are a good indicator, together with hwinfo and stuff, but thanks - that tip will help many people who are annoyed by the same problem, even though i dont know if its good to set a flat lower fan curve with worse cooling solutions. then they run a bench or something and the fans stay slow :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Unfortunately, that’s how CPU works nowadays. A CPU can sit idle at 5W with 1.4GHz, then a process demand 100% power, CPU in milliseconds will ramp itself up to 4.8 GHz and eat 140W. Temperature will skyrocket instantly. Diablo IV process may be more unique from other games or programs, because it may demand more at one time while average CPU usage is lower. Hence, power and temperature spikes. This is still all within expected behaviour from any executable process, it is just using available resources as it wants, to deliver to you, in this case, the highest framerate possible.

Great! You will see drastic change in temperature and fan speeds I am sure. While CPU overall performance will be decreased, because of disabled boost aka factory overclock.

I am afraid this is all within healthy CPU use. Game demands what it needs, when it needs it. When demand is lower, for example in map or fullscreen skill tree, you probably noticed temperatures drop quite a lot, just to ramp up to max on vendor screens and during normal play. That’s how it is right now.

I don’t pay attention to it, because my fan curve is smoothed out enough (using 280mm AIO).
GPU fan curve is also custom, to ramp up gradually with GPU core temp. All is good.

yeah my gpu temp stays below 50 degrees in a 4h session at max graphical details thanks to the 90 fps limit and just 1080p, no problem there.

well, just with the vram reaching the 12GB at high textures and then still begins to stutter after some time of playing the game, where just a restart or medium textures help.

i understood that the cpu single core clock boost can result in these high temp spikes and the solution with disabling pbo works like a charm now (even though i will revert the changes after D4).

it still does not feel right somehow, because these ramp ups just happen after a long play session, and while for example just staying at the tree of whispers doing nothing, no inventory open, periodically every 30 seconds or so. well, its just the feeling that there is something wrong, something strange, false intuition maybe :stuck_out_tongue: so i needed to listen to my heart and stay safe after all the drama around the X3D chips. so i thought its better to tell it here, as others have done in this and more similar posts. in the end, it really may be that blizzard could optimize some kind of background stuff going on there, if not, we have other ways to fix spikes or ramping fans thankfully.

thanks for the nice replies anyway.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.