Constant freezing in season 4

I never used to have this problem and it only started happening with season 4. Game constantly freezes and lags. Teleporting will lag and take longer than usual. Ill click on a NPC and my game just completely stops and in task manager the CPU usage for D4 just drops to 0. What happened with this season that’s causing this?

17 Likes

Welcome to the club. Though by putting it here, you are going to get responses telling you to get a better PC, its somehow your fault, etc.

Meanwhile, just a few of the many (many) threads on this issue, and nobody has been able to find a solution. But we can easily identify the culprit, and that is the “hotfix” on May 16th. And not a word about it from Blizzard, but they were sure quick to fix the Tree of Whispers issue…

And once again, before people respond with “get a better PC”, there are dozens of threads on this. I’m running an i9-14900KF, 64 Gigs DDR5 RAM, 4 TB NVME, and a 4080 Super. There are people with even better systems then mine having issues.

And before people respond with “try this thing”, I guarantee whatever it is, I’ve tried it.

Blizzard needs to fix this, full stop.

15 Likes

Well damn. Yeah its not a PC thing ill tell you that. I got a 4070 TI Super 16GB. It really is just this season, something definitely went wrong and they need to be aware of this and hopefully get on it.

4 Likes

The lag is bad this season Ive gotta numerous deaths because of it. Never had this problem last season.

3 Likes

I haven’t had this problem any season that wasn’t me being an idiot about texture quality settings.

So there’s gotta be something more to it than simply “Blizz did it!”

1 Like

I knew somebody was going to respond with something along these lines. I guarantee you that every single suggestion you could possibly think of, and vastly (vastly) more, I looked at and tried. I would post the giant list of things I’ve done over the past 2 days, but I know it will just be ignored and will just be more finger pointing.

It comes down to the hotfix. Played Season 0-4, not a single crash. Not one. Patch happens on May 16th, and now I can’t go past 20 minutes without a crash. Hundreds of others are affected (just counting people who have posted on the forums, steam, reddit, and discord, that’s not counting the people who are affected that haven’t posted), people with 4090’s are affected. But sure, its the “texture quality setting” that broke it (maybe you should also read the various links I provided that has people literally saying they tried lowering graphic settings and made zero difference. And yes, I tried that too, and no, it didn’t make any difference. Not that it would, its a 4080 Super, not a card made 10 years ago. ).

Or, as referenced in a sticky thread on this very forum…

Continuing the discussion from Season 4 Issue Tracking:

Before the hotfix on the 16th was even pushed they recognized there was a problem with 4000 series cards, and they suggested that disabling “Frame Generation” would help people crashing (key word being help, not solve). Then they did the hotfix, where Frame Generation isn’t even possible to be enabled, and then people across the spectrum became affected. 4000 series cards, 3000, 1000, AMD cards, all over the place. For my part, I wasn’t using Frame Generation to begin with, and as I said, not a single crash until the hotfix on May 16th.

And yes, Ray Tracing is off too. And yes, a million other things have been attempted.

3 Likes

same here. I have AMD Ryzen 7 5800H and GF 3070. This has been more than enough for all of the previous D4 versions running on “High” or above. Right now everything is lagging even on “low” graphic settings. Contrary to what others say - I don’t get any crashes. Simply the same is not fun to play.
Would love to get some help on this as it seems to be affecting heaps of people

1 Like

I just want to chime in that I also have this issue. Played all previous seasons with no issue, and now the game will just lock up for minutes at a time. Loading the game, loading a character, opening inventory, talking to an NPC. All these will lock the game for what feels like 15 minutes (though is probably only 5 lol). It’s ruining this season.

2 Likes

I was having the same issue too. Did everything there is to troubleshoot. Decided to switch over to the beta version of the battle.net app and now it’s working perfectly fine.

I have constant lag and rubber banding reliably every few minutes. Helltides are not possible to run without dying - every single time I go into one, i die within 15 mins from lag where the game just stops for 10 seconds then catches up and im a headstone. I ran over a dozen varshan and grigore summons, and on every single one I would lag out for almost 10 full seconds 1 time halfway thru the fight, only made possible because they are trivial and non-threatening.

I cannot run anything threatening requiring any form of reactive healing or using buff consumables without dying within 15 mins to rubber banding lag. I won’t even try the pit in these conditions, im just going to spend every run mad i cant move and am dying.

1 Like

Probably have a bit coin miner on your pcs

I get game freezes often. The freezes always occur when opening some part of the UI (season menu U, shop P, blacksmith NPC, storage, skills A, etc). Sometimes the game will come back within 5 seconds, other times 15 seconds, and sometimes never (I have to kill from task manager in this case because ALT-F4 doesn’t even work).

I’ve had zero issues since launch until shortly before season 4 when the freezing started.

I find turning the graphics settings (including texture quality) way down reduces the frequency of the freezes, but they still occur. Again, has never happened until recently so “computer git gud” is bull.

Edit #1: I have a 1070-TI for what that info is worth. So it’s not limited to DLSS and 4000 series. My freezes were happening before the DLSS hot fix as well. Also my nvidia driver is up to date (per geforce experience).

Edit #2: I have also verified the game files using the launcher settings.

3 Likes

Having similar issues here.

Every few minutes screen freezes and sometimes crashes. Has anyone found any solutions?

Have tried every possible graphic change and no help.

I think i might have just died in HC on a 50 necro because of this, indirectly. I turned almost everything down to low to try and get rid of the lag/freezing issues I had. I was 50 in W3 Helltide so I couldn’t afford to be frozen against elites or meteors.

I killed the helltide elites that spawn when you kill a bunch of stuff and he exploded loot like a piñata. I didn’t see that there was a poison pool when he died, so as i was clicking the gear it exploded and one shot me. I never had issues seeing these things before, but i think either all the loot covered it and it took a while to animate or something. Was heartbreaking :frowning:

Yea as of today 5/20. The game completely is unplayable. Teleporting causing very very long load times or not even load at all. The game now just crashes (locks up, freezes) If I alt-tab I can’t get back in. I have to kill the game from Task Manager. Did not do this before 5/20 since my necro is level 52 and I been playing very casual. I am gaming on wifi (150 mbs) but I have been this entire time up to level 52 without much issue.

Windows 10 64 bit
intel i7-10700KF
RTX 3070
32GB Ram DDR4
1GB SSD

This computer was built in 2020. So I just think it’s not my pc. Checked my Nvidia drivers and everything up to date.

Edit - I changed the resolution scaling off Nvidia DLSS, and it seemed to stop locking up on me after that. I found this post, seemed to work so far. I dont notice a difference with it off, so I think this was the issue all along. I will update after a few more play sessions.

1 Like

I had massive stuttering until i reverted to Nvidia patch 537.15

Yeah same, only started having frequent and long freezes in the last couple of days, near unplayable. Was fine at the beginning of the season. Tried fresh install, tried new drivers, tried old drivers. Was a shame this season was proving promising

Add me to the list. RTX3080TI. had not had this issue until a few days ago.
game completely freezes, have to force quit, and reenter.
Initial load times have increased by maybe 100% too.

This game totally loses its marbles because of network competition. Streaming video, downloading stuff, someone on your network torrenting. If you doubt me, try it, install a game with Steam and hop in D4 or something and be amazed at how bad it is.

I would say to mess with your network.

Same happening here since beginning of season 4.