Bricking items needs to go

Awesome glad to hear it! :slight_smile:
I do think ā€œunlimitedā€ would be a bit too much BUT there simply, imo MUST be a protective measure in place for the snowflake rare, truly end-game items.

Also remember that: We might get 1 recipe as a Perfect Roll and be forced to decide: Do I reset this because my ā€˜Build Definingā€™ Temper didnā€™t show up but itā€™s Perfect for an Alt Specā€¦

I think this lends even more decisions and player agency with some freedom & flexibility without it being totally open ended and infinite.

Just keeping it in-line with the baseline system as it is.
Either itā€™s a straight 7/7/7/7 or 7/5/5/5 for a GAIII to maintain design and system cohesion

There is some merit in keeping it simple. Perhaps there could be a rare scroll will reset an item. Like a scroll of reforging or some such.

1 Like

Absolutely.
Thereā€™s been many ideas thrown about.
eg. Tempering functions like the Occultist - albeit 1 option.
Keep Current or Take New

Actually clarify this pleaseā€¦

they could just up the drop rate

Curious what youā€™re referring to. My 1st :coffee: and brain is getting going.
Input slow, output high right now lol.

Yep this too - People have suggested a Material/Item farm in order to reset.

What the Anit-Temper reset crowd might not be taking into account is - the rarity of the items, the cost associated and with what you just said: These items to ā€œresetā€ should not be common.
On level with or rarer than Ramalandiā€™s Gift for example.

I dig the reforging scroll, i mean, we had it in D3 as a part of Kanaiā€™s Cube.

Your desire to reforge seems to be predicated on the rarity of getting greater affixes in desirable stats. If those were more frequent, bricking one, wouldnā€™t be so painful. Itā€™s just one knob they could turn.

Itā€™s predicated on personal experience rolling 32x and getting FOrb on the 33rd.
Rolling 21 times and getting Blizz on the 22nd.

My poor Druid ā€¦the game wants him to be Hurricane Iā€™ve seen so many rolls!

Idk if itā€™s weighting or if it gets ā€œstuckā€ in a loop or just straight 20% ~ 25% ~ 33%(depending on recipe) RNG and ā€œbad luckā€.

I do like your scroll idea though.
It had slipped my mind.

I would say

Basline 7 (2 free) and then each GA adds 2 more so:

GAI: 9
GAII: 11
GAIII: 13

This should be more than enough to hit the perfect stats and if you dont then, well, Lilith have mercy on your soul.

Ok so youā€™re basing it on the ā€œfree rollsā€ being the flex point.
Thatā€™s interesting.
So each Tier adds 2 ā€œfree rollsā€ basically?

Yes exactly. This would be still allow some sort of failure while still hitting the affixes you want but maybe not the exact rolls inside the affixes you want.

My idea that i had yesterday was some sort of pitty system that goes like this.

Item has 7 Rolls like always
After 4 Rolls not hitting what i want, i get to choose the one i want. That would allow at least one roll to be guaranteed but not both rolls and with 3 rolls left i can try to hit the second roll.

I think I read that.
Did you also indicate that the ā€œSelectedā€ Roll, owing to it being allowed to BE selected, would be of the Minimum Valueā€¦ or did I read that elsewhere and Iā€™m mixing things up?

Otherwise solid option as well.

No i didnt mention it to have minimum roll. In my ā€œversionā€ It would just be like hitting it randomly while crafting so the outcome is random inside the range.

1 Like

Actually thatā€™s a very intriguing option.

It maintains RNG, allows for Player Choice and Agency on one Temper for desired outcome - yet the 2nd Temper is still subject to kiss~curse win/fail.

1 Like

This is well thought outā€¦but you have to remember the more complicated the system the more confusion it causes even IF it solves the underlying problem. Just look at how many replies address the fact that mastercraft ups the % chance of success to eventually guanratee the upgrade but people are focused on the failure. So there is bad luck protection built in but the complication gets lost on people.

Maybe a more elegant approach is drop the number of possibilities in the Temper list by 1 on all recipes.

And usually when Iā€™m looking through the list there is at least 1 if not 2 that I goā€¦ehā€¦I really dont want that. Or itā€™s too close to something else where more than one of the possibilities is redundant.

More to this point. They wanted to remove affix conditional bloat. but a lot of the temper options carried over the original conditions. For example on sorcerer, rather than a single increase crowd control duration, they made it increase immobilize or stun or frozen duration. They re-bloated on the old errors rather than condense to increase crowd control duration vs making new and interesting effects related to each type of crowd control.

1 Like

Exactly and from what i have seen, each slot has one ā€œmust haveā€ affix and the other is often (i didnt check all builds of course) just a nice to have thing like life, armor, res etc.

This is well thought outā€¦but you have to remember the more complicated the system the more confusion it causes even IF it solves the underlying problem. Just look at how many replies address the fact that mastercraft ups the % chance of success to eventually guanratee the upgrade but people are focused on the failure. So there is bad luck protection built in but the complication gets lost on people.

I belive this could be solved with a better user interface that is clearer for the player whats going on.

Itā€™s been a pleasure discussing this with you.
How I view the ideal purpose of the Forums.

Would you mind if I quoted your ideas and alternatives(and your counter to my initial GA Temper Scaling) when I make my post later?

Yes they did move~shift some things to the Temper Recipes.
Though I find the stacking aspect to be intriguing.

Thank you very much! I woke up and it was on my mind. BEFORE I made :coffee: no less.
Just trying to find middle ground for Players and Devs alike.
It may be as simple as having a tangible, farmable, rare item to Reset
or
As Skagrim suggested: 4th Roll Select~3 Second Temper rolls or how they modified my idea: Just Add 2 ā€œFree Rollsā€ per Tier of Greater Affix items.
Theyā€™d be listed and easily seen lower right:
7/7
9/9
11/11
13/13
Iā€™ll compile, post and hope for ā€¦ā€œdiscussionā€.

re: Dropping # of options on recipes.
Iā€™d add: Some Recipes. Since thereā€™s variance recipe to recipe.
Also - We donā€™t know if thereā€™s weighting to the Affixes on the recipes. Iā€™d hope not considering itā€™s a limited use System.
Not to go off topic butā€¦ Some of the recipes for Druid and Druid in general are just underwhelming.
I went though the list and it seems Druids got the short end of the stick. Lots of mediocre options and nothing I wanted for my build.
Hopefully theyā€™ll refine the entire thing as aside from the Reset debate, thereā€™s plenty to be looked at - as you pointed out: bloat shifting.
We shall see.

1 Like

Not at all, please do. I want the game to be better. I found this discussion / brainstorming very pleasent aswell! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love it when Blizz employees make secret new accounts to come here and be mad and fight people who donā€™t stay locked in step.

Youā€™re such an obedient consumer. Or an obedient employee.

They also added a disastrous real money auction house to Diablo 3. You really REALLY think theyā€™re not above making more bad decisions with monetization?

You sir just made my day. Tinfoil alert. xD

The following is ā€œin my opinionā€ and has zero to do with the ā€œDevelopment Teamā€ proper - as financial decisions, business deals, marketing strategy, implementing RMT or not etc etc would be totally different deptā€™s anyway.

So as far as adding something blatant to the shop? My take is absolutely not.
This was already done with D3 AH - both the Gold and RM sides(charge 15% gold ā€œtaxā€ and recirculate it for IRLM in the RMAH, which they conveniently set the Dollar per X gold amount valueā€¦, on top of the RMAH sales cut they were taking) - it was all win win for them. For all we know they were printing money by throttling drop rates and randomly generating items into the AHā€™s to create shortages, supply, demand etc. Nobody will ever know the truth.
After that fiasco I highly doubt theyā€™d self-destruct in that fashion with this game.

That title, crown and vile model is for D:I to exploit.
Regarding other means than the T-mog shop - I ask my self this: If RMT is such a cancer, why has nothing been done?
Duping, as far as we know is still not fixed.
Why are Legendary & Unique items are now tradeable AND thereā€™s a whole new Boss Ladder with additional Summoning Materials added.
Why arenā€™t Summoning Mats boa as they should be considering the duping/rmt fiasco weā€™ve witnessed?
RMT shops are so, so very ready for S4.
So why? Knowing this will just feed the cancer and bolster 3rd party salesā€¦why?
Think about it a minute. There might yet be lots of money being made ā€¦elsewhere, in other ways, by other means.
(yes - Itā€™s tinfoil for sure but more: Itā€™s their product and their right to do what they wish with it, how they please. Our ā€œstandardsā€, principles and opinions do not apply in this regard and mean absolutely nothing vs profit model$)

Here is my contribution to the debat to get a smoother tempering process without giving Reset :
1 - Having more than 5 attempts on items with Greater Affix
2 - Having new mats that allow you 1 more attempt
3 - Rolling only min roll once the 5 attempts are exhausted
Note : I donā€™t think we need the 3 of them, just discussing it.
More details here :
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d4/t/proposals-about-tempering-and-bricking-items/156851

But having less possibilities on all recipes could fix it too, and keep the feeling that you have to press the tempering button rly carefully.

2 Likes

Hey! Youā€™re the one who said this:

I knew I read it somewhere. I forgot to reply to your post.
Thatā€™s an interesting idea.
Baseline roll after the Tempering Durability has been exhausted.

Iā€™m compiling the ideas that Players have come up with so far to try to get them consolidated into one spot.
Itā€™s a topic of much debate for sure.
Thanks for responding!!

1 Like