Why Nerf the Strafe DH?

Dear Blizzard,

After watching a youtube stream by ‘wudijo’ who was playing the demon hunter on the PTR server apparently the character is about to be nerfed.

It seems a lot of people enjoy the strafe build demon hunter, including myself, and find it a more accessible way to enjoy D3 without the complexity of mirco managing a lot of cooldowns, timers etc. on more difficult classes.

Won’t it hurt your player base and why exactly does the demon hunter need to be nerfed at all? (I’m currently 2400+ paragon and have reached grift 135 but would not say this character is overpowered as for me to reach higher tiers,even with near perfect items I can see a lot more paragon levels are needed to push past 140’s)

Wouldn’t it be better to just improve some of the other classes sets/abilities that are weak and unfavored rather than nerf what your customers are enjoying?

Kind regards,
Adam

20 Likes

Why sign off with my real name?

What do I have to hide?

What do you have to hide that you need to use a false name?

Do you think you can hide anything anyway in this technological era?

Please, if you can’t contribute something positive and on topic don’t bother replying.

Kind regards,
Adam

• In the hope that something may be learned I use my real name when addressing people as a mark of respect.

Blizzard is a company that provides employment to many families.

These families depend on the livelihood provided by the success of the company they work for.

I have asked a question which has the potential to affect their product and company in some way so as a way of showing sincerity and accountability as well as respect I have no issues saying who I am.

You cannot hide anything in this world brother.

6 Likes

Any set that can do 150 solo needs to be nerfed to stay within Blizzard’s attempts to balance the game. It was pretty clear that all 150 clears are done by “exploiting” the HA interaction with missile dampeners so that was the main reason given for the pierce cap.

https://us.diablo3.com/en-us/blog/23290575/[d3]-developer-insights-balancing-class-set-design-1-28-2020
This article has some interesting information about where they’re trying to go with classes sets, in particular the metric of a solo player being able to hit 130 solo with 5k paragon.

Also, check out this feedback post from 5 days ago (the PTR’s been going that long?):

The set needs a nerf. I’m a DH main and gladly admit it was OP. But I’m with a lot of other DH mains that the nerf was overshoot. I’m hopeful they’ll pull it back like they did with the Lamentation mighty belt for barb.

Warm regards,
Zurtle.

I agree with the OP part with the missle dampening and farming for that one elite affix. And agree with what wudijo is saying as well as you. But the fix should be around the Missle dampening not breaking the whole set. Or in cases of how to fix it how wudjio offered solutions to the problem and still making it a great set. But keep in mind you have necro’s that just destroy 140++ every season no matter what.

3 Likes

We need to keep in mind that Blizzard balances the game based on non-seasonal performance. Seasonal effects like the 4th cube slot/variable cube slots give necro a big advantage based on their weapons having Very Big Numbers but that shouldn’t be taken into consideration when adjusting other classes.

Right I understand all of this. Been doing this for 22 seasons. I’m just stating I agree with some of your points, as well as what wudijo pointed out vs. destroy the entire set that is also a brand new set.

3 Likes

Cheers for the constructive reply Zurtle.

I understand the effect of the DH and missile dampners - a lot of fun when one spawns for sure but also abusable by some.

I wonder how many DH players overall have reached 150 and use this exploit though compared to the total number of DH players in total?

I am about 170 ranking on DH leaderboards with a 135 clear so it seems we are not really talking about a lot of players abusing this mechanic surely to warrant such a drastic nerf for the vast majority of DH GoD players?

Isn’t the shielded elite with missile dampening supposed to be a negative when encountered by a range class? Why don’t they just change the way projectiles interact in the shield if that is the reason behind the nerf rather than nerf the non missile dampening gameplay?

To me, it just seems like a severe reaction to a class which many now find fun.

Hopefully, Blizzard will make the right balance and keep the character enjoyable.

On a side note but related I used to play a fair bit of Destiny but became very fed up with the game developers continuing to change the goal posts on classes and skills. It would seem to be that whatever class I found fun you could guarantee that within a few weeks or so it would suffer the nerf hammer.
I don’t play Destiny anymore and have no interest in going back partly because of that issue.

I do not play for exploits or look to abuse game mechanics personally. I just like having fun and it really dictates what I play.
I gave D3 a big break and a few weeks ago decided I just wanted to try that rapid fire build I never got around to trying.

Somehow that transitioned into using the strafe build and it has been so fun and dealt with a lot of the issues personally I have always had with D3. (Character movement, timing of many C/D skills, no controller or key remapping).

1 Like

I just wanted to point out the possible inference others might make that seasonal effects roll into the balance equation from the way you worded it. As you were! :wink:

GGs man. I’m at 137 with a rift that started off with a pretty good Festering with condy (bad mob types) that devolved into a series of bad floors. I only saved that rift because two yellows spawned right next to each other and one of them was missile dampening, and then the boss was Perdition. Lucky. I’m at pretty low paragon (just gone 2300) so I’m definitely at the stage where I am starting to be heavily reliant on all the layers of RNG lining up for GoD. :slight_smile:

Rapid fire nearly broke me. I was so pleased when GoD came along as the gameplay is so much less painful.

What happens if they try to lower the pierce probabilty to say 70% to 80%? Wouldn’t that have any impact overall?

Hey Adam,

This generally is more work and would take more time. But I agree that it would be the correct thing to do and hope they take the time to address it.

1 Like

The Kumbaya in this thread is strong. Can we all hug now?

1 Like

Sorry, but your post makes sense and we all know that logic or anything that improves the gameplay for SOLO players or allows them to have FUN is a violation of their terms, cause SOLO players are not allowed to have FUN or enjoy the game and if they have too much FUN they’re breaking the balance of the game and must be punished with nerfs.

If SOLO players want to clear a 120-140 GR they MUST join 4 Man META Groups (who usually use T-HUD too) and play with them 8-16h a day for the whole duration of season or non season…

To think that they’re nerfing any build at all after announcing D2R is just a horrible way to attract players to buy it and I have a strong feeling that D2R might end up similar to W3R on launch, which is why you’re FORCED to preorder the game in order to even post on the D2R forum.
Why?!
Because they know it might happen and if D2R ends up like W3R on launch day a lot of players will demand a refund (which they probably won’t get anyway too)…

I hope I’m wrong with D2R, but it wouldn’t surprise me if I’m not…

3 Likes

This isn’t strictly true Zurtle. Yes, MD helps a lot, but not all of the (very few) 150 clears that DH has used MD.

I’ve cleared every GR from 140-149. I didn’t ‘abuse’ MD for all of them.

I also love how people are conditioning others to think that using a game mechanic we had no idea wasn’t meant to be there was now ‘abuse of an exploit’ :smiley: Donald Trump’s legal team should take notes!

There was absolutely no reason to nerf GoD DH. They were good but not OP. There is a big difference guys. I’m sure they will over compensate and make the DH overall a worthless class. Typical game company thinking. I do know that next season, I’m not playing one again. Necro time. Edit: I am a solo player myself, and this is one of the very VERY few builds that I can actually do well with. They are doing the follower update to attempt to ‘fix’ the solo player issue. However, at the same time, they are nerfing one of the only decent solo builds… sure makes a lot of sense. BTW: Main reason I play solo is… if you can’t find an uber group or are a member of an active guild of excellent players, pick up groups aren’t even worth the time. Usually so many of the players are absolute garbage and actually end up making group play SLOWER than solo. I also tend to wake up early in the morning so my options for who to play with are limited and I really want to play on the NA servers… since I live on in the US and Asian/Euro servers are gonna have cruddy lag, and this isn’t like an MMO, lag really makes a huge difference in this game because of the pace. Finding an awesome group at 4am (I get up at 3:30am) is about as hard as Donald Trump telling the truth.

3 Likes

People are throwing around the word “Exploit” and “abuse” when talking about the HA interaction with the MD elite.

There is nothing to exploit or abuse here. Can a player do something to cause a MD elite to appear? Can they in any way, shape, or form change the proc rate of elite affixes? No, they can’t.

When the rare MD procs, skilled players will pull that elite to other elites or high value mobs and use the MD aura to make some awesome progress. Just like a skilled player will pull several elite packs to a Conduit pylon, kill off most of the trash, then hit the pylon so the effect only hits the remaining elites, also to make some awesome progress.

The current GoD build has not broken the game. Yes some outliers with super high paragon have cleared a 150 in NS. The fact that we have a GR150 kinda infers that a skilled player, with tons of paragon and godly gear should be able to clear it with just a bit of help from RNG.

DH finally gets a build, with some buffs, that a casual player can pick up and make clears in line with some of the other classes.

Nerfing the build into the dust due to one rare interaction with an elite affix is way overkill and it’s not being very well received. I was helping a new D3 player with his build last night and had to wonder how he’s going to feel about Blizzard when his 1st build gets nuked.

8 Likes

I do not disagree with that logic, however, using that logic alone does not explain why in this season 22 in SEA there are nearly 250 Necromancer Bone Spears at 150, nearly 220 at 150 in Europe and nearly 150 at GR150 in the Americas with both the WD and DH being far less than a half of that and in some cases as little as a fifth.

Using the logic you have stated which I do not disagree with, it fails or at best, demonstrates that the developers need to pay closer attention to the leaderboards in all classes not just one or two.

BTW I play all classes and like all classes so the above is based on a balance statement being that it is anything but balanced in their decisions which is why so many people are obviously upset due to it appearing targeting whereas it is more likely a lack of awareness.

I also enjoyed a lot the casual DH GOD set in season 21. Agree that it needed little nerf but not that big. I would make the number of pierces like 20, but definatelly not 2. This is killing the whole set.
With 3k paragons i passed gr 135 non season, but for sure i can’t pass gr140 or 150. I would need a lot of luck for that.

This is the important point here. This nerf hurts the majority of players, not the players that actually abused this mechanic. I have mained GoD DH since it came out 2 seasons ago, I love DH and I love the build. I have beat a low 120s GR, that’s my best. I just like speed farming low tier rifts and push just a bit. With this nerf I will be speed farming in the 90s next season instead of 10+ GRs higher, that is not fun.
Blizz always nerfs based on the top .01% who then just move on to the next OP thing. I don’t want to switch to necro, or rat runs, or whatever the flavor of the season is. I like my DH and if I do play this season it’ll be in a lower GR and for sure a lot less time.

4 Likes

I’m not sure I entirely agree.

Let’s look at the facts here. The people who did a 150 solo using a GoD DH did a few things in particular:

1. They had a long grind for their gear
  2. They had a long grind for keys
  3. They augmented everything
  4. They fished for a huge number of rifts to find the right rift

From that standpoint alone, they’re playing, and playing hard. This required significant dedication to the game to achieve. It’s not like these players clearing a 150 just suited up a GoD build, all non-ancient gear and jumped right into any 150.

Someone who dedicated that much time into one class to achieve that level successfully, why on earth would Blizzard insist on nerfing to the extent it was just to prevent them from enjoying that class?

The simplest solution is to just remove the dampening entirely for a season.

The class is one that requires area damage, and good gear, and lots of practice to excel at 150s. The nerf as it stands has been demonstrated to even limit to 130s max, at 5-6k paragon. How does that sound like a compromise compared to simply remove dampening?

5 Likes