Stop Asking For Personal Loot

Here is why personal loot is a bad idea

In both Diablo 2 and 3 players would join games online to quickly get to the boss others were fighting and share a piece of the pie they didn’t earn (or may have helped)

With personal loot they are automatically given items every single time they join the game and enter the boss room.

I get that people make private parties and have passwords on their games but even then there are still people looking for easy ways to get loot without doing the work and I am against it.

D3 is more of this system where everyone gets a piece of the pie, everyone is powerful, everyone has cool stuff and cool pets and items and all that.

In Diablo 2 you actually have to strategize and work for your character to be among the best.

In addition, having to share loot brings a lot of interesting and enjoyable experiences to players. Bartering among each other, helping each other out, sharing the goods as a team. It’s all apart of the Diablo 2 experience!

If you want personal loot then just do a solo game

Edit:

Personal Loot, Item filters, charm inventories, and other changes from the original game that affect a players choices and experience of the game will directly affect the community this remaster has created and therefore affect the way others play the game.

• Personal Loot

will cause up to 8x more loot in the community that will affect trading and progression of lower leveled characters, it will take away from the original experience, it will take away from the joy of working hard to strengthen your character and enable people to receive rewards they don’t earn**

• Item filters

will directly affect the experience playing the game with shared loot and take away from the satisfaction of finding rare items and sorting through trash items to uncover something valuable. This will take away from the experience many players want diablo 2 to have.

• Charm Inventories

This is a change that I am less against than the others but I do believe that the choices you make in Diablo 2 need to matter. If you want your character to be powerful or have and advantage that charms give them then it comes at a cost. That is part of the game. Sacrificing inventory room for buffs is part of the experience intended.

This game is not Diablo 3, it isn’t going to let you kill an Act boss in 14 seconds (Azmodan) with a weapon (Gavel of Judgment) that does 800% additional damage (Hammer of the Ancients), it is not going to give you infinite potions and make you put the game 5x higher (torment) for it to be more realistic challenge level.

Diablo 2 is an experience many haven’t had the privilege of knowing. This is a remaster not a remake. This is the polished version of a perfect game true diablo fans love. Diablo 2 is the reason there will be a Diablo 4.

237 Likes

Yeah if enabled you would see all these guys farming Bot Baal runs. Market would be crap. So glad the Devs are not doing this. I am really surprised at how many bad ideas people are putting forward. But guess it goes to show you how many really dont know or understand the mechanics of the game

52 Likes

Agreed. Fundamentally killing the current looting system for parties is a terrible route. Everyone fighting for that HR that Baal dropped is part of the experience. Most people making the suggestion are D3 casuals who don’t understand the concept of solo MF runs or just can’t admit that they cannot handle the challenge of competing for loot.

Another stupid suggestion I’ve seen on here is “bUt LeT eAcH pLaYeR gEt oNe dRoP” rather than each player getting the full amount of drops, which has to be the dumbest personal loot suggestion since loot just becomes very underwhelming, and if it’s an item not for your class, or just isn’t an upgrade for you, you just don’t pick it up and no one else sees it to benefit from it.

38 Likes

Yeah it’s so ridiculous when people suggest this kind of stuff.

Personal loot just wouldn’t work without having a huge change on how the game is played.

23 Likes

The D2 market is a joke because of Baal-bot runs.

Nobody should be getting all those items as frequently as they do in D2.

I’m hoping putting D2R on modern Battle.net will end all the bot runs and force people to actually play the game and get loot on their own.

People are in for a real shock when they have to WALK A1 to A5 in Norm/Night/Hell and farm items by themselves or in groups the old fashion way. No more 5 minute smash and grabs with a bot that clears the way for everyone to just dive on a pile of loot without any effort.

16 Likes

These runs still happen without bots, they are just not as fast.

Sometimes the creator of the game would even have rules for loot such as Baal drops only belong to the one who tele’d. If a level 60 is going ninja he doesn’t get invited to the party next game.

5 Likes

I cant even be bothered reading these personal loot threads anymore, made my people coming from D3 and other games and who many of them clearly have never played D2.

Personal loot or similiar fundamental change = refund for me.

Would be nice to see some solid communication from blizz at some point and putting end to these speculations.

23 Likes

I agree that D2: R needs to stay the same shared loot as original D2. Keep that preserved. But, if for some reason that the devs did change it to personal loot only, or having an option of checking personal loot or shared loot then hopefully they keep the “total” drops the same. As I said in another thread:

Personally, I believe they should keep the shared loot from original D2 in D2: R. If they were to do personal loot, though, it should follow the same “total” amount of drops that would have dropped if it was a regular shared loot game.

Example:
8 player game with the regular shared loot from D2.
Party goes through, and kills all end Act bosses(Andariel, Duriel, Mephisto, Diablo, Baal).
Let’s say there is a total of 10 uniques that drop between all of these bosses in this 8 person shared loot game.

Now, let’s say that the same game was instead on personal loot instead of shared loot.
8 player game with personal loot.
Party goes through, and kills all end Act bosses(Andariel, Duriel, Mephisto, Diablo, Baal).
Even though each person has their own personal loot the same amount of 10 uniques would drop, but depends on who gets it. This way would help against leechers, and pickit botters. Items would still be allowed to trade to other players.

Conclusion is that I prefer original D2 shared loot. But, if they do go to personal loot, or even as some suggested to have it as an option between shared loot, or personal loot as long as the same amount of “total” drops would be calculated then it would be fine to have it that way.

In my suggestion above the personal loot wouldn’t amount into everyone getting 10 uniques each for a total of 80 uniques, but that the total uniques that drop for all 8 players would still be 10 uniques.

4 Likes

Nah man, this isn’t D3.

Quick Example: When you got an 8 man game, with multiple people still gearing up, boss drops a raven frost. You dont need it, so you don’t pick it up but there’s another player that would benefit greatly from the “cannot be frozen” but now he will never see it nor benefit from it.

OR you are playing as a pally early game and a Spire of Lazarus drops and is a massive upgrade for the Sorc in the group, again, you don’t pick it up and now its invisible to the sorc. This isn’t how D2 is meant to be played nor is that good teamwork in public games.

A great thing about D2 is always being able to jump into those public games and 9/10 times finding a solid group of people who enjoy running acts together and progress, finding items and sharing along the way. This is true even still today for those who don’t already have entire accounts of mules and fully built chars. But this is the D2 experience in its prime and you can expect this from D2R.

12 Likes

I agree. I don’t want personal loot. I want D2: R to have shared loot like original D2 because that is what makes a big part of the gameplay of D2.

16 Likes

This is a Blizzard forum. Forum posters are allowed to support both popular and unpopular opinions as long as they follow Blizzard’s CoC and have a battlenet-linked game license. I may not like certain things suggested by others, but I do not tell them to “stop asking”. I can choose not to respond or to respond civilly and respectfully and explain my contrasting viewpoint.

The Blizzard forum code of conduct is here:
Forum Code of Conduct - Blizzard Support (battle.net)

16 Likes

This. It’s really no more complicated.

9 Likes

I dislike the whole D3 versus D2 argument. Both games require game knowledge and a huge time investment with strategy to be the “best”.

In D3, many player have never soloed GR 150. Many players have not soloed GR 130. The idea that everyone in D3 is powerful is not accurate. You want that cool seasonal pet behind completion of the guardian conquest, players have to spend time to complete guardian. You want that rare primal item X, grind, grind and more grind and it still may never drop…

In D3 multiplayer games to be the best, it takes an incredible time investment and you have to strategize as a team.

In multiplayer D3, you get a piece of the pie; however, the player’s game knowledge, effort, and time investment determines the sheer magnitude of the number of pies where you get a slice. more work and time commitment means more high quality loot, more paragon, higher legendary gem levels, and higher augments.

In conclusion, both D2 and D3 require game knowledge, strategy, and a significant time investment to be the best. You can critique the game design choices of both games but let’s not mischaracterize D3 to fit a false narrative.

5 Likes

I agree with some of your premise but some of it not so much. Both games totally do require game knowledge and a big-time investment to be the “best”. That is definitely true and bang on.

But the idea that everyone is powerful is definitely still accurate despite this. I might not be the best in D3 but my character is still certainly going to be powerful as hell decked out in all sorts of unique’s and able to farm whether I am good or I suck. After that, it’s just a scale of how powerful and how far up in the Grifts you can get based on actual skill and knowledge.
I think hardcore is the best example of this. In Diablo 3 I can gear a character in hardcore with minimal to no risk really if I pace it properly. In Diablo 2 there’s no telling what will happen gearing/levelling up a character through the game on hardcore.

In Diablo 2 you could totally have a terrible character with terrible gear unable to do much at all on hell if you are actually really bad lol.

Not to say Diablo 2 is super hard or anything but it’s a big step up in both character building and gear choices it isn’t spoon fed to you quite the same way with a chart showing which gear to use and an ultra forgiving skill-system.

3 Likes

Smash and grabs will still exist. I’ll just be doing it in on a Frozen Orb sorc in your public game. Tele from boss to boss in each act and nuke them then you’re left to start a new game if you want to progress or farm. Or Just party up, declare hostility and do it that way.

With this still in mind, shared loot is dumb. It breeds toxicity, it’ll drive people into isolation in their own private games. I assure you, everyone in this thread will will be eventually get bitten. Bitten so hard that their stance will waver. Also, I can’t wait until all the trading is back to being dictated by D2jsp. Woohoo.

18 Likes

This greater rift scale though is how a character’s power is judged in D3.

The same is true in D3. Just check people who complain that there build does not work correctly and they are stuck at low GR levels.

With the internet, players often simply play builds based on their favorite build guides. D2 and D3 build guides exist. If you check the class specific forum for both D2 (2000) and D2R, you will notice that I have posted for every class links to multiple build guides for all D2 class.

1 Like

Sure grifts it is how its judged in terms of who is the “best” competitive player but your character is powerful either way as an overall game design/mechanic this is only relevant to the people that really wanna push leaderboards not averagely playing the game.

And again in regards to builds yes… but they can respec their character at will any time any where they want pretty much so its a lot more forgiving as you’re playing through.

D2 guides do exist and you can totally build your character off that. But the difficulty in building your character around the gear you have and the choices you make within that can be trickier with the drop rates and the game isn’t as forgiving as you are working through.

Again not claiming its super hard but its definitely a step up. I am not like someone who hated D3 and didn’t play it I played lots it was a signifcantly easier game to play it only gets hard in terms of competitive grift climbing.

2 Likes

This is not true in D3. You can not respec during a greater rift.

For a particular character, players tend to use a few builds: solo/group speed farming build and solo/group push builds. That is it. We are not changing gear if there is a monster with arcane to equip an arcane immunity amulet and so on.

The original D2 did not have respecs at all, but that feature was introduced in a much later patch. This change I liked. Having artificial difficulty of no respecs was bad game design in my opinion.

3 Likes

Okay so you can’t specifically do it midrift but you can literally any other time but yes that pettty detail is true.

I know you are on the D2R forums arguing for all these D3 mechanics in D2 so apparently you think somethings easier/more convenient there lol.

2 Likes

I am stating that I prefer forum posters not to mischaracterize D3. I also prefer posters do not mischaracterize D2. The best discussions are based on facts and not misinformation.

Yes. I think adding some convenience is good. I prefer shared stash over muling. This is a convenience. I suspect >95% of D2 diehards agree. I prefer increasing the total amount of item storage space. This is a convenience. I like that D2 characters will not expire. This is a convenience.

6 Likes