Stop Asking For Personal Loot

I am advocating for options and not the removal/replacement of any D2 mechanic. D2R will be different than D2 just by the fact that it will have battlenet integration.

6 Likes

If you are such a D3 fan, why can’t you keep playing D3 and stop ask for changes on D2:R ?

9 Likes

LOL what a joke of a statement. I can have top tier build in one week in D3. GL getting your end game build in D2 in one week, you’d have to have insane luck, find the best possible trade deals, or just buy your way to endgame from third party sellers and completely miss the point of the game.

No wonder you want ridiculous changes to D2. You expect to complete all your goals in 1 to 2 weeks.

7 Likes

I spent thousands of hours playing D2. It was my favorite game at that time. Even Blizzard agreed that QoL changes are good for D2R.

It is possible for gamers to enjoy multiple games. I like the entire diablo franchise. I played thousands of hours of the original diablo. I even bought the GG version recently. I bought the collector’s edition of D2. There is a difference in being a fan and fanatic. I consider myself a D2 fan. D2 was my favorite game at that time. I have matured and can discern it’s faults.

My suggestion is to have the game released so other can enjoy D2 with all of its current faults. Also, I am suggesting separate updates that can be selected to upgrade the game.

7 Likes

Blizzard Sorceress says Hi. Can literally stand in a corner away from Hell Mephisto and blast him without retaliation.

From there it’s just a matter of patience until you can get enough drops to put together a shabby Uber build.

I remember doing this when I was undergeared.

2 Likes

Was that meant for a reply to my post, or another? lol

The rabbit hole of D2 vs D3 gearing isn’t worth it.
In D3 you could have GR 70 player wearing the same gear as a GR 150 player.

Yes there are ancient and primal rolls, but the pieces could be the exact same.

A concept like this just doesn’t exist in D2. Personal Loot combined with the removal of trade is an important stepping stone that pushed D3 in that direction.

2 Likes

A true D2 fan wouldn’t ask for changes in a beloved game as she or he loves

You are no true fan.
It sounds more like you are true D3 fan.
Because you want exactly the same things in D2:R

As you say: It was my favorite game at that time.
We can see what is your favorite game today.
I have nothing against it.

I am a true fan of Diablo 2, I just want improved graphics and no more.
I’m fine with Shared Stash, but auto Gold pick up is for lazy people who can’t click.

6 Likes

No! I’m a true fan!

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/no-true-scotsman

You made what could be called an appeal to purity as a way to dismiss relevant criticisms or flaws of your argument. In this form of faulty reasoning one's belief is rendered unfalsifiable because no matter how compelling the evidence is, one simply shifts the goalposts so that it wouldn't apply to a supposedly 'true' example. This kind of post-rationalization is a way of avoiding valid criticisms of one's argument.

Example: Angus declares that Scotsmen do not put sugar on their porridge, to which Lachlan points out that he is a Scotsman and puts sugar on his porridge. Furious, like a true Scot, Angus yells that no true Scotsman sugars his porridge.

9 Likes

My idea of what constitutes a “true fan” is more open-minded. As a “true fan”, what D2 patch was your personal favorite?

I am true fan of my favorite professional sports team. That does not mean that I do not want to see new players signed and others let go. It does not mean that I am not disappointed when players that were let go that I thought should stay.

Please tell me what my favorite video game is currently? Hint: It is not D3.

5 Likes

No that was to RNA trying to equate the time and effort to build a character in D2 with D3.

With uniques raining from the sky in D3 and finding a JAH and BER taking months or more if you don’t find a good trade, thats just a load of crap.

Not sure why it was in reply to your post that was no where near the one I replied to, must have bugged out lol

1 Like

I think all D2 players are overwhelmingly against instanced loot, and has been re-iterated countless times throughout similar threads- the only thing I want to add is that players coming from the newer generation of games- especially D3 have been denied the opportunity to truly understand the value of an unshackled, and engaging community that define the experience of the game.

D2- and even D1 for the matter were so great because EVERYTHING about the game reinforced an overarching theme and design philosophy: Hell has risen. It’s dark, gritty, and barrenness. The world is in despair, and the only light illuminating the way forward is by your character and allies, as they cleanse the earth. Even loot in the beginning is scarce, nothing more than basic armors and equipment- crude materials that really make you feel like you are drudging it out through an empty wasteland, and making conscious decisions to maximize use of your inventory, collecting anything with an iota of value to work your way up the grueling ladder. I think I played for about a year before I ever got my first SOJ drop…It’s not supposed to be easy… it’s supposed to be absolute HELL!

Fitting in with that theme, is scarcity of equipment and even protected knowledge. The extreme rarity of certain unique items- fighting for them among other players, ID’ing them, just to get a crappy stat roll, experimenting with builds- ALL apart of the process. When you see somebody walking around at max power for the first time, decked out with ethereal runewords, super rare armors, filled sockets and equipped auras, it’s supposed to be a truly “Holy S#!^!!” moment. It’s supposed to stand out in a bareness, decrepit world and motivate you to obtain it for yourself. They know something you don’t! This is the entire appeal of ladder resets, because it wipes the slate clean and neutralizes the game back to it’s authentic experience. This is something that D3 completely misses the mark on. Everything is vibrant, shiny and abundant. All the equipment is overly ornate and decorative (there is beauty in simplicity!) Players are rewarded with minimal effort, and there is virtually nothing rewarding about being in the upper percentile of the skill ceiling.

D2 is a game about hell, and fittingly gives you that “cult” like experience. Even information is scarce- no in-game recipe resources, or hand-holding tutorials. This is the land of ‘secrets’- with content like DClone, the cow level, and even the cheeky and notorious ‘chat gem’. All of these things reinforced the concept that much of what you learn about the game is going to be through the community, and by making allies to help you accel. Sure this is a different era, where information is readily available online, but that does not change the general overtone of the game. I’ve played for over 15 years now, and still forget recipes, and STILL consistently learn new things about the game through other players.

The point of this long-winded rant being; yes D2 has a competitive edge to it. This is largely what makes it appealing to most of the playerbase, and would be foolish to try and ‘round’ out. Understand the value of having the community as your resource, with custom lobbies, clans and allies. You don’t like competing for drops? Totally fine- make some friends and play private lobbies where you can divvy up the resources as you see fit. Trust me, get a full 8 player game going filled with your buddies, and designated rolls, and you will 100% experience the appeal for yourself over D3’s lifeless solo experience, and deflated lobbies. There are plenty of QoL changes that could happily be integrated into D2 that would improve the experience for the better, but instanced loot just isn’t it.

12 Likes

I am a D2 player. I am not against instanced loot nor is the poster immediately after this. There are many others who played D2 and pre-purchased D2R that are not against instanced loot. You can simply look at this D2R forum that this is a divisive issue. To claim, “all D2 players” is inaccurate and undermine the premise of your argument in my opinion. So…

I prefer both options to be available to D2R players on a per game or per character basis.

I like D2. I play games for enjoyment. If I want misery, I’ll watch the news.

Most people considers cults bad.

9 Likes

It’s actually funny. I started this season after not playing for years and I’ve played more with friends than ever before. Happily dropping items in town for their characters to share. It’s been super social. But the D3 forums would tell you otherwise.

If you think D2 is gonna be a social experience. It’s not. You will be farming private games, or people will jump in your public game to outfarm you and get the benefit of more drops with you being in it. While you trudging your way to Hell Andy to try for an SOJ before going to Hell Meph another person has already joined, killed Meph, Shenk, Nathalakk and is killing Baal waves right now. When you finally get something worthwhile you’ll be on a forum, trying to trade FG. That’s about as social as it’ll get.

For an added bonus, they may party up, see your location, then proceed to kill and steal your drops.

I’ve played D2 for years. I would love to have instanced loot to deter degenerate gameplay.

13 Likes

It absolutely sucks when you’re the guy asking
“Was that Coa?!?”
“Omfg”
“Stats…stats please!!!”

Told stats are near perfect

Sickness in tummy…that could have been mine…determination sets in…I WILL GET THE NEXT ONE!!!

Told stats are crap:
“Oh thank god.”

Is the guy that grabs the Coa

“Muahahahahhha I am the god of loot grabbing, bahahahaha”

Leave game immediately, make priv…I’d item

Crap stats: fml
Gg stats: IM RICH!!

1 Like

With that logic, people can still join in the last minute run to boss when it dies and pick up loot… The only difference is that they need to click, and now take a deep breath, there is even a chance that this guy will loot all items! If he’s got better ping and luck, he may take all loot.

Really, there is nothing better about FFA ground looting besides being to taste of 1:1 purists.

4 Likes

People still do this all the time. Join a Hell Baal farm, only 1-2 people actually clearing it. As soon as his health drops to something infinitesimally small, everyone gang rushes him. The game hitches, couple of uniques/rares drop and in a millisecond, gone.

3 Likes

No I will keep asking and debating it.

Almost all the arguments against personal loot have been picked apart and discarded.

But if they had a Shared/Personal toggle for games I would be fine with that.

4 Likes

:star: Having both options is a good solution to this conflict. :star:

8 Likes