Quality of Life Failure

We’ve been asking to have mats hoovered up for months (years?). Instead we get GR keys? These drop at a very specific and difficult to miss point in the game, and in a single location. Why was this the bone that was tossed to us, instead of any one of the dozens of actual QOL requests that have been made over the years?

I guess you can’t worry about these things when you spend all your resources chasing money from a very specific market.

6 Likes

I really think players would simply like all materials to fall under one umbrella classification that allows them to be hoovered up and that the range for said hoovering was increased to at least the area in the viewport (the viewport is the onscreen area). That way a single click would gather everything up, gems and all.

Most of us don’t have a problem deciding to pick them up, it’s the click click click aspect we’re not so fond of. That’s why auto gold pickup was such a boon for D3 vs. D2.

2 Likes

Then take it as a sign as they won’t do it. You brought this up for months, weeks, years and nothing changed. However when people asked someything plausible they applied it.
They added an apocalypse themed season with lots of visual effects yet they skipped this because they won’t do it. Get the clue, it’s been seven years.

In a simple talk; mats equal to guaranteed items via Kanai’s cube with a constant, reliable rate, any sort of effortless auto-pickup on mats would make manual pickup on looted items meaningless. Anything that does hoovered in like gold and bloodshards without effort do NOT equal to free guaranteed high tier legendaries with a constant rate and require some sort of a challenge.
If you can sweep up same item worth of materials (main concern is DBs) what does any legendary loot drop hold weight for when you can replicate the same item in the cube anyway?

Secondly if you “gotta go fast” go push Greater Rifts where you don’t have to pick up items until the RG kill. What you’re suggesting it asking to make game more monotonous and homogenous. Picking up items is actually a small trade off between cooldowns and item pickup so you have to decide and filter it yourself. You’re simply asking to shine speedfarm builds further without minding build diversity in pub games.
May look simple but you’re destroying the only challenge in standard difficulty which is timing cooldown cycles and slight punishment for speed builds for the sake of build diversity.

edit:
Go gamble at Kadala and give me a “constant” ratio of legendary per trash item; it’s random, not a constant or fixated rate. You can spend 2000 shards to get the legendary item you want, you can spend 500 to get your first legendary too or spend 1000 and still get rare quality trash. Then go read the item recipes at Kanai’s Cube, they give you guaranteed legendary upgrade and reforges by keeping the item class. It’s a slot machine with guaranteed high tier item; neither gold or bloodshard have this sort of constant ratio.

If you don’t think D3 developers listen, Grim Dawn added this feature already and you’re free to play that. But I assure you main point here is the design differences and they are not comparable between two titles.

Every month or every patch either increased torment difficulty, begs for buffs or effortless afk vacuum threads pop up. I keep calling trolls yet people are not tired of whining and feeding them.

1 Like

Personally, I hope they don’t.

Does no one remember how D2 or D1 was? Or how many QoL changes they have already made to this game? I feel like some forget or some never knew.

Be THANKFUL they have done what they did.

What do you want? The game to play itself??? I call it the lazy gamer generation. Find the easiest way to grind in a game, or preferably, get rid of the grind completely.

What’s the bloody point then? Get your best in slot pieces and what? Clear 150GRs? Have 5000+ paragon points? Have max leveled gems?

Then what?

How easy do you want this game to get?

What cracks me up, is the game IS easy, yet has RnG to the point of unbelievable frustration to top it off. And people are whining for a way to not have to click on anything on the ground…

*sigh

Sorry, its 12am and this subject always irks me. I remember having to identify RARES in this game. ONE AT TIME.

THAT was something worth changing. Picking up stuff takes me a couple seconds. I kill an RG, I’m porting to town within a few seconds of their death.

Anyway. Rant over. Night.

Game on.

2 Likes

Actual great quality of life. I always wanted to just collect keys and nothing else. You can straight start porting out as soon as the rift guardian dies. That is amazing.

3 Likes

Tias, you are usually the most sensible and practical poster on the Forum, but this “visible screen” hoover area for every “material” classed item is the most ridiculous thing I think you have ever posted. You forget about the “reward loop.”

One thing the devs have been adamant about is to preserve the “reward loop” of this game. They feel that the player must be physically connected to the game world in order to derive the maximum enjoyment of playing the game, and the way players connect to the game world is by interacting with it. The more you remove that interaction, the more you remove the player’s engagement and thus enjoyment of playing the game.

On the other hand, they understood that it was tedious to have to click on every single item on the ground in order to pick it up. This is one of the reasons that they implemented the Avarice Band ring, and the “vacuum cleaner” pickup method for gems and crafting materials. It is also the reason why they decided to have purely cosmetic pets also pick up Gold for you. This naturally invalidates part of the purpose of the Demon Hunter’s ferrets, but the trade-off is acceptable.

Having said all that, I have to agree that including Greater Rift Keystones in the group of items that can be vacuumed up is a questionable choice and likely a waste of resources. On the other hand, the effort that they spent doing that should not have been to include any additional items within the “vacuum” realm.

Players need to be connected to this game in order to receive the psychological reward of playing, whether or not they feel that clicking on items is tedious. How about this; fire up a bot, then sit in front of the computer and watch it play the game for you. That is where these types of requests are leading the game. If we remove any additional player interaction, we all might as well just run bots.

2 Likes

There is no issue with the reward loop. You still have to click an item to start the vaccuum process. Nobody likes clicking a dozen different material stacks. Why do you think auto-pickup by pets is so often requested? That would bypass the reward loop. Clicking to suck up the mundane stuff like whatever materials are onscreen doesn’t break up the reward loop in the slightest.

Having to click piles of gold didn’t make me feel more connected to the game in Diablo 2. Having to click every single type of material doesn’t make me feel connected either. Remember, materials are already subject to the vaccuum effect same as gems. But unlike the gems where you can click one type and all of the gems within range are hoovered, with the materials you have to do it with each type. They aren’t under one umbrella classification like the gems are. That’s literally all I suggested. Making them like gems.

Forcing tedium doesn’t make players more connected to a game. Giving them engaging reasons to play does. Click click clicking materials constantly isn’t engaging. It’s a lot more engaging to click once, suck up what’s around you (materials only, not equipment!) and move on.

Am I grateful D3 doesn’t have the extreme clickfest that PoE does? Yep. But I recognize that it could be further refined. I’m not asking for auto-pickup, just the vaccuum effect made viewport wide (which isn’t that far in reality) and triggerable by clicking any material.

Example of tedium that serves no purpose: Picking up the death’s breaths and forgotten souls that drop from a piñata in Whimsydale. Click click click click click click click click click click. Ten clicks on average (five of each of the two materials).

QoL feature request: Click and move on. One click would pick up all ten of them. That’s nine clicks worth of time I can then spend on things like fighting monsters or travelling to the next destination. Surely those two things are far more engaging than repetitively clicking in one spot, yes?

3 Likes

Maybe instead of pets auto pick up mats or auto pick upped by you like gold why not make only Elites and Nephalem/Greater Rift Guardians, Bosses drop crafting mats, but increase the amount based on torment difficulty you’re playing for example:

T16 - 16 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs (all in stacks like when dropped by the odious goblin),
T15 - 15 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs
T14 - 14 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs
T13 - 13 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs
T12 - 12 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs
T11 - 11 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs
T10 - 10 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs
T9 - 9 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs
T8 - 8 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs
T7 - 7 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs
T6 - 6 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs
T5 - 5 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs
T4 - 4 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs
T3 - 3 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs
T2 - 2 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs
T1 - 1 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs
Normal-Master -One per each crafting mat

Same with Infernal Machines and Uber organs…

GR 80-150 would drop more based on the GR level too for example:

GR 80 - 17 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs from Guardian
GR 85 - 18 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs from Guardian
GR 90 - 19 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs from Guardian
GR 95 - 20 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs from Guardian
GR 100 - 21 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs from Guardian
GR 105 - 22 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs from Guardian
GR 110 - 23 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs from Guardian
GR 115 - 24 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs from Guardian
GR 120 - 25 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs from Guardian
GR 125 - 26 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs from Guardian
GR 130 - 27 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs from Guardian
GR 135 - 28 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs from Guardian
GR 140 - 29 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs from Guardian
GR 145 - 30 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs from Guardian
GR 150 - 31 veiled crystals, arcane dusts, reusable parts, DBs, FSs from Guardian

GR 75 and below Guardians would drop as much as in T1-T16 difficulties.

You could also make picking picking one kind of crafting mat pick up all the rest too for example by picking up resuable parts you pick up all the rest too with just one click instead of clicking on every crafting mats on the ground (like TheTias suggested)…

All other “clickables” (corpses etc.) and chests would only drop items…

Don’t get me wrong here (if I’m mistaken), if I read correctly some people believe vacuum pick up is like auto pick-up (gold, globes…).
IMHO vacuum pick-up means that we still have to click on one of the GR keys and then it will pick up all of them at once. Since the keys are usually in the pile of other loot from the RG it will not be that big of a difference (I usually click on all the stuff that the RG drops).
It is still a small QoL improvement.

You keep making this argument, but always (conveniently?) forget blood shards. Guaranteed and targeted loot via Kadala.

1 Like

I try to be clear all I can, you people are unable to read.

Go gamble at Kadala and give me a “constant” ratio of legendary per trash item; it’s random, not a constant or fixated rate. You can spend 2000 shards to get the legendary item you want, you can spend 500 to get your first legendary too or spend 1000 and still get rare quality trash. Then go read the item recipes at Kanai’s Cube, they give you guaranteed legendary upgrade and reforges by keeping the item class. It’s a slot machine with guaranteed high tier item; neither gold or bloodshard have this sort of constant ratio.

Thanks to you I’ll edit my main post and attach this paragraph to it.

…yet you still may conceivably never get the item you want. Same thing.

Potential is the concern here; Kanai with crafting mats gets you a guaranteed legendary item via a constant rate of mats spent, bloodshards don’t have that sorta thing and at random. Hence why shards are auto vacuumed and mats still require a click to be hoovered up. Game doesn’t care about the item you want neither can read your mind. We don’t have that technology yet.

Asking such thing will only make speedfarmers conquer the damn pub games with vacuuming DB as they move and may skewer the build diversity.

We got vacuum pick up for most mats and gems in 2015 in patch 2.2.0

https://us.diablo3.com/en/blog/18642492/patch-220-now-live-4-7-2015

Developer comments: This patch we took a hard look at our auto-pickup rules. We started by looking at an option to auto-pickup potions but as we discussed this further we realized it made more sense to just remove normal potions from the game completely. For crafting materials and gems we want to avoid simply having them auto-pickup but with the introduction of certain Treasure Goblin variants last patch the amount of clicking was excessive. We’ve implemented what we call “vacuum pickup” to alleviate how often you have to click to pick up a large quantity of items while maintaining some aspect of the physical pickup act.

• Looting a crafting material will now also pick up all other materials of the same type within 20 yards
  • Looting a gem will now also pick up all other gems within 20 yards

If what you wanted was auto pick up like gold and blood shards, that will be up to the current team to decide on going forward. They might, but I am not expecting it.

My personal preference, is that anything that is not physically stored in inventory, should be auto-pickup like gold (including letting pets pick the stuff up). So, that would anything stored on the mats tab. I get the philosophy of those mats having some meaning though - so why not give an optional mat counter per session? So players can see how much gold, DBs, keys, etc they acquired during that play session. Maybe have it on the mats tab so it does not take up UI space during play. It would be nice to end a farming session with a quick tally of mats and keys acquired.

5 Likes

Yep, and if they changed the 50 paragon points in Gold Find to be Pickup Radius instead, that’d be absolutely super and mesh very nicely with this idea.

4 Likes

That would be awesome…but memory says some items/skills are impacted by pickup radius right?

Still, Avarice band would be a good choice for a farming build. That stacks up to 30 yards for pick up.

1 Like

Damn! There goes my master plan to have Necro curse auras that could hit every single mob on screen just by walking about. :wink:

1 Like

And what will happen is you stop playing because the game is too easy.
There are things we all ask for we will never get because it is not the best for us.

Uh-oh, that sounds suspiciously like “You think you do, but you don’t” and look how that turned out.

What I was suggesting was merely making all materials (gems and crafting mats) have the same classification, so that a click on any one of them would trigger the vaccuum effect for all of them within the range of the viewport (onscreen display area). This wasy we’re not clicking a bunch of times for pathetic amounts of materials constantly. Remember, a single yellow material is at value with what you salvage, but you can get 2-4 blue materials from a salvage, and 3-6 white materials from a salvage, yet the drops are always singles of the material outside of a goblin/boss drop. That’s annoying to constantly click. So click one, and get all of the ones onscreen.

That’s literally the only suggestion I made. I don’t even want auto-pickup. While click click click click clicking constantly doesn’t connect me with the game, never clicking does kind of feel empty. This is a good compromise between QoL and being connected. You still click, but you hoover up everything in sight at once. But just materials, not items. Items are still a choice.

This folks is a strawman argument. Clicking an item on the ground doesn’t make the game more difficult, it makes it more tedious. One click, sure. A bunch of clicks where one would have sufficed so we can get on with the actual parts of the game that offer difficulty doesn’t equate to enjoyability.

2 Likes