Projected D2R Player Count

Hello Guys,

I’m really curious about it. Do we have any preliminary numbers?

The hype buildup was pretty big, but after doing a quick poll inside my battle net buddy group (200+ people), my D2 teammates over the past 20 years (about the same number), our discord server community (300+) and our YT channel (6k subs), I’ve only got a handful of confirmed pre-orders or interest in buying upon release.

I understand that there are many who don’t want to give Blizzard any more business after D3, many who moved on to new gen ARPGs like PoE, GD, many who simply have outgrown games or this particular game, some are just waiting for D4.

But I was still expecting millions to jump on it. Instead, I’m seeing less than 1% of people around me being really interested. I was streaming the first beta on my channel and only 1 person out of thousands expressed a desire to buy it. Most of the viewers were a lot more interested to see D2 original, PoE and some other games. Didn’t feel like there was any hype at all.

But maybe it’s just this particular community?

What are your experiences in this regard?

2 Likes

Perhaps. It does seem to becoming quite toxic. My son, who used to play D2 a lot back in the day, took about 10 minutes browsing the forums here and said, “Naw, if this is how people act in game, I’ve got better things to do.”

So, we lost one there. I’m starting to wonder if he might be on to something here. Unfortunately… :confused:

4 Likes

Yep, both my kid and wife tried beta for 10 min and said “nay”. The little one toggled it back to the original graphics and said it looked a lot more artistic and pleasant, lol.

5 Likes

Your demographic mileage will vary. MrLlama did a survey and got 5600ish results. He has 130K subs on Youtube. Maybe more or less on Twitch, dunno. Those 5600 results were almost all pro-D2R. Blizzard held a survey and got a pretty large number I’d imagine. Reddit surveys were held. etc etc

It all depends on your audience.

1 Like

My expectations are that all the current d2 players will buy the game. Also many d3 players will buy it. I dont think many players outside the diablo franchise will be willing to spend 40 bucks in a remaster of a 20y old game they dont know.

Once it gets released, if the game is not changed and the hacks are not rampant all the d2 community will stay for a long time into this game, many d3 players will leave because they are used to a flood of items and they will get 1% of that playing d2, others will like it and they will stay into d2r aswell. If the game is changed in its core mechanics, the d2 community will leave it and only some casuals will keep playing it with all the d3 palyers that enjoy the changes they promoted.

2 Likes

Of all the things that never happened, this never happened the most.

7 Likes

I am subbed to him on YT and only ever saw the results. I guess he posted the survey on one of his livestreams, I do not watch those.

I’ve been thinking about this lately. The Twitch numbers haven’t been too great for the open beta, and Amouranth was the only big Twitch streamer outside of ARPG players to stream it.

Trainwrecks and Shroud will most likely be streaming the game. I don’t know what Asmongold’s deal is lol, hopefully he’ll stream it because he was having fun during the Alpha until the FPS drops buzzkilled and made him end stream - but it also motivated him to finally set up a dual-pc stream setup.

1 Like

Oh no, I have many close friends who are already going to get clans and parties together. I think D3 was a disappointment for sure. I’m a die hard Diablo 2 fan and everyone I have asked if they play this game said, “Yes and I pre-ordered.”

Whatever the player base is now + 10% of the sales of the game in its first week.

My guess previously has been 3-4 million copies sold.

But, with the butchered console interface, as well as some bad PR (such as in regards to modding), I could see numbers going down.

Still, I cant imagine less than 1 million copies sold. That would be a fiasco.

I would say at launch, 1-2 million max globally. Between Blizzard scandal, features removed, nothing major enough to set it apart from OG and a lack of initial mods, I doubt this will be a multi-million launcher, even with all the consoles in play. I’d estimate console sales to be 200k-300k. It’ll be interesting to see the Q3 results report.

Almost 7 million character deaths!

Diablo YouTube channel community poll:

Going by the percentage of deaths above(even though only 4,200 votes this gives an average based on percentage):
7,000,000 character deaths / 1 death(low end of the 1-5 deaths) = 7,000,000 * .72(72%) = 5,040,000 players
7,000,000 character deaths / 5 deaths(high end of the 1-5 deaths) = 1,400,000 * .72(72%) = 1,008,000 players
7,000,000 character deaths / 6 deaths(low end of the 6-10 deaths) = 1,166,666 * .09(9%) = 104,999 players
7,000,000 character deaths / 10 deaths(high end of the 6-10 deaths) = 700,000 * .09(9%) = 63,000 players
7,000,000 character deaths / 11 deaths(low end of the 11-15 deaths) = 636,363 * .04(4%) = 25,454 players
7,000,000 character deaths / 15 deaths(high end of the 11-15 deaths) = 466,666 * .04(4%) = 18,666 players
7,000,000 character deaths / 16 deaths(low end of the 15+ deaths) = 437,500 * .16(16%) = 70,000 players
7,000,000 character deaths / 20 deaths(high end of the 15+ deaths) = 350,000 * .16(16%) = 56,000 players
Low end deaths TOTAL PLAYERS = 5,240,453
High end deaths TOTAL PLAYERS = 1,145,666
AVERAGE TOTAL PLAYERS = 5,240,453 + 1,145,666 = 6,386,119 / 2 = 3,193,059

So, conclusion is based on the percentage of deaths in the poll for each death count the TOTAL PLAYERS who played in the Open Beta was between 1,145,666 and 5,240,453! This includes both Pre-Purchases and non Pre-Purchases since this was an Open Beta!

1 Like

This didn’t happen, come on now…

Liked_D2 Ver. Will_Play_D2R Note
#1 Yes 1.08 > Yes Withholding judgement.
#2 Yes 1.08 > No Needs to try a new game every week. Will even try Diablo Immoral.
#3 Not really 1.10 > Maybe Prefers PoE > D3 > Modded D2.
#4 - - Maybe -

I would’ve expected some more enthusiasm from person #2, but he was always very different from myself. It just became more apparent with age that he was never content with anything, or that he is content with being subpar, or that he’s content with never truly seeing anything to the end. He never tries to become really good at anything he does, neither. Only marginally good enough to say he did something once, so that it counts in conversation. It’s a shame because he’s the one I had the most fun playing D2 with back in the day.

The Nnumbers where fine I saw over 100k. It’s a 20year old game with 2 acts wtf was there to even watch? I watched literally no stream nothing to see

My friends showed a lot of interest before the beta. But they said they felt very bored in the open beta. One friend said he played for an hour or two and then deleted it.

However, he said he is willing to wait for the release as it may be different if he plays simultaneously with his girlfriend like d3 on the Nintendo Switch.

No couch coop. Hope they have 2 Switches?

I don’t know the d3 console system, so I’m just passing on what he said. He said that in d3, two people can play at the same time with two pads, and the other person’s health and mana come out small in the corner. He said that he would wait for d2r, saying that if it works in d3, it will also happen in d2r.

He should probably check out the dev interviews, couch coop is not supported as it was in D3 for consoles. I feel many people will buy this thinking couch coop is possible and be very disappointed, which sucks.