D2R Copies Sold

D4…maybe…not so sure though, with the length of time it will have taken to get the game out. D2R though, was the right call not to announce then. They probably had nothing to show in the new engine, and would have been constantly harassed for how long it was taking to do a remaster. Look what happened with FF7 remake; reveal was what, 2015? Released in 2020, for part 1 ONLY in a multi-part game. IF D4 manages to release next year, by end of year, we’re looking at 3 years from reveal to launch.

However, for copies, I posted in another thread, I believe launch will be around 1-2 million. I believe that the current scandal will have some spillover into sales, as well as the game being less mod friendly, and not enough new features for people on the fence to spend the money.

part of the reason D2 & Lod sold Less copies are the lack of Technology, Owning a Computers 21+ years ago was not super common for a lot of ppl. Nowadays EVERYONE is Online… I’m guessing D2r will sell 20-40 million copies.

2 Likes

Yes. Agreed. I do think the fact that offline mode will be a reality though is going to offset some of the folks upset about loss of mods and such. A lot of people like offline play. Now if only they would make it onboard graphic and tablet friendly they would have a ton more sales!

Scandal eh… not sure. While some people buy based on corporate decisions, others support the workers who were subject to that. The folks who did a great job despite the crap they had to deal with. I get it though, if you want the corporation to change hitting them in the wallet is the only way to make that happen. Along with negative publicity.

I just…the Diablo team has been pretty hellaciously fantastic for the 8 years I have known them. I won’t say the Blizzard WORK culture on overwork/crunch/promotion is good. It was not and I commented on that long ago. But the Diablo team was not central to the worst of it from what I can tell, or experienced.

This is also true I think. Almost everyone owns a computer type device.

It won’t sell that many right away, but over time I think maybe, esp if they expand device compatibility.

Back then the cost of the game was also VERY high compared to income. It was like $50 for Diablo 2 and $30 for LoD. Something like that. Now we get both for $50. Price points for games have gone DOWN overall despite inflation. So people tend to get more of them. Why have one when you can have 5 diff games, or ten, or a steam library!

1 Like

Yeah it’s true 100%. Diablo wasn’t even on my radar after d3 and I had nothing but contempt for Immortal and how they handled PR for that.

This remaster got me right back in and now I might actually look at d4 instead of just ignoring it like I probably was going to.

3 Likes

Agreed, I hope it has a long and amazing life.

2 Likes

TOTAL PLAYERS who played in the Open Beta was between 1,145,666 and 5,240,453! This is a rough estimate, and not 100% exact! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have an answer that i find funny.

Some million-5 from refunds of the ploot advocates on these forums.

Tbh I’ve been playing D2lod waiting on D2r and Lemme tell you The quality of Life additions too the Game are Fan Freaking tastic, I hope they do more. seriously the simple things like the added stash space the auto gold pickup ect. more Modern gamers who like to speed run will appreciate these things. as well as the Level of difficulty the game has Prior to getting end game gear. this 1 game is in a League of it’s own to this day.

Yes agreed for sure, those who come from the time of Dial up know what we’re talking about =) Lol Modern Marvels Huh

3 Likes

Absolutely, man it’s not goiung to be long now until launch!

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m still supporting despite the scandal, but I’m not a big believer in boycotts unless it is something that has negatively impacted me (I have never bought another D3 Publisher/Namco product after the crap way they ended WKC 2 support). However, I’ve read plenty between facebook Diablo posting comments, Reddit, etc about people standing on morals about it. How true it is, is unknown, but it will be interesting if they release the numbers for Q3 report.

I didn’t get that statistic email… While I easily defeated Duriel, I didn’t play a ton. I must not have been worthy enough to get the email. Oh well.

I will say that I did not contribute to that death count though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think a lot of people are in for a rude awakening in hell to be honest. I see lots of folks claiming the game isn’t hard or that it is too easy. Sure it is easy with good gear. It’s getting that gear that is hard, and before you have it unless you are playing one of the more op builds specifically its not going to be easy.

All the op gear floating around from dupes and bots will be significantly reduced. Folks might actually be going into hell with mid level uniques and rares for once, instead of being kitted out with a bunch of end game runewords.

5 Likes

Ancients Pledge is your friend! The game gives you the runes to make it as a reward for saving some Barbarians! Heheheh :slight_smile:

No kidding. I was running rhyme when I got to hell last ladder and I still had a deep red cold resistance. Every time a cold enchant monster appeared I pretty much got one shotted x.x

That’s when you belt bulk buy thawing potions and drink 'em all. :slight_smile:
6 potions will set you up with a cold resistance boost for 3 minutes.

1 Like

Very true, I’m actually debating On Going Bone Necro and Shopping a +8 white wand which on Single player took less then 30 mins, I could have these runes In Nm or a5 normal. Compared to a Sorc for Just the ability to Teleport I’ve realized the Sorc is SOOO Much harder because everything immune Or alot of it’s immune to cold/fire/light. I read a Post today that suggest Lvl 30 Pierce Now break Immunity’s. so Idk well have to see. Magic damage FTW Baal wave 2 sucks tho. Lol

1 Like

When I started playing I had at BEST 28.8 dial up. I played a necro so the army protected me while I lagged. Then a patch totally destroyed my necro and I was rather unhappy. Rebounded with a frozen orb sorc and zon.

Oh, and I moved to a place I had DSL on purpose so I could play D2.

Not sure what impact will be reported though. I guess we find out in November. But the report period for Q3 ends Sept 30th so that is not a lot of data related to D2R.

1 Like

It’ll give a good estimate of launch numbers at least. Will be awhile for more numbers for people that adopt the game later, especially after ladder. That is what I was meaning.

Right right. Agreed.

Selfishly, I don’t care about numbers. I just care they brought back my favorite game and I can even play it on my old 2013 laptop. (Or could in Beta). It is kind of all I ever wanted.

The other good thing they did - was make WoW more solo friendly, esp for farming old content for pets, transmogs, achievements, etc. There is a lot of comforting things to do there that don’t take a group.

3 Likes

Probably 7 million. If D3 was as good as D2, then it would be more like 20 million.