Microsoft has ‘let Blizzard be Blizzard’

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/microsoft-has-let-blizzard-be-blizzard-following-its-acquisition-studio-says/

“There’s no one asking us to do anything,” she continued.

So much for the claim “Microsoft is a savior to us. Microsoft will guide Blizzard to the right path and etc.” :sunglasses:

I never understood why anyone thought MSFT would do anything like that. Their goal is simply to keep people playing games on PCs and sell game passes. They’re a multi trillion dollar company that “ate” a tens of billion dollar company… Blizzard is like 2% of their assets. Why bother?

2 Likes

After going through 3 acquisitions in my work life, this is pretty SOP. The parent company wants to see how the bought company operates, who pulls their weight, and who doesn’t. They will observe for 1-3 years, and if they don’t like what they see, they will make sweeping changes, and if they like what they see, they will make sweeping changes.

7 Likes

It was obvious that won’t gonna happen. Either Microsoft would let them be, because interfering might impact the stock market and that would be risky at the long span, or instead they could have interfere and make them even greedier for maximizing their profits. Guess, they have realized Blizzard is greedy as it is for profits just like them, or their plan of “cutting corners” is simply firing almost everyone from Blizzard. If they had an indepth plan to renew things, they would do so.

The question here is, why are you even gloating over people getting disappointed? Anyone who thought otherwise is completely naive, I get it, but it doesn’t worth pointing out.

1 Like

Did anyone think that MS would be a ‘savior’ ?
Blizzard will not change under Microsoft? Ho Hum. What else is new?
I don’t understand why anyone would think differently. Upper level management change.

1 Like

Well… :wink:

Never went through any acquisitions because before retirement was working for the government. But that is not even “necessary”… Change of management, “business” structure or just “someone” higher up having an idea, it is always the same if any of that happens:

They will make sweeping changes!

If they realize it was bad, no way they just reverse it; no, they “try” a different approach.
If they realize it was good, no way they want to keep that status, no, they “try” to make it even better.

Philosophy on

But other than evolution I have the nagging feeling that that approach is just zigzagging around and never is happy with any good result.

Philosophy off

:sunglasses:

1 Like

I work for a company that was #1 wholesale plastic company in the 80’s. We thought that it would be around for ever. The owner sold 51% of the company to a paper company. He thought his children wouldn’t be able to run it. Well he was wrong!!!

With in 3 yrs the company went from #1 to #15 in sales. The one thing they did wrong was they fired the sales people. They said they had their own sales force and didn’t need this one. The sales people took all their sales to the other companies they went too.

So if you think Microsoft isn’t going to make changes. Every company that buys another company always makes changes. Give it time it could be good or it could be bad too. We’ll have to wait and see.

2 Likes

I did read something similar like “Microsoft will resurrect Heroes of the Storm”, “Microsoft will remove all MTX in Blizzard games and make a real game for gamers” and etc last time.

Who said that?

So you read a few forum posts from some hopeful people and used that as your baseline?

:man_facepalming: :person_facepalming: :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

The best part was, no matter what reason they used for changes, efficiency, modernization, whatever, the change always caused more work for me.

Timelines for takeovers usually go
Step 1) Lay offs
Step 2) Hands off until they figure out the company
Step 3) Once they figure it out take over more operations

3 Likes

Like this?

MS: what are you doing?
BZ: we are selling this bundle in D4 for $60
MS: the bundle that comes with 1 golden horse and 1 golden dragon mount and 5000 platinum? For $60?
BZ: …yes…? Is it too expensive?
MS: Outrageous! You should have split the bundle to 2 bundles with one golden horse + 5000 platinum and another with one golden dragon mount + 5000 platinum and each bundle will be sold for $60.
BZ: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

1 Like

One misconception is that the horses cost money. They are plat bundles. You aren’t really buying a horse, you are paying for plat. The horse is just kinda a gift to you. And no, not really what I’m talking about, lol.

My point is, things can get worse if MS decides to take charge.

1 Like

I dunno about worse. Things got really bad before they came in. MS has many powerful development houses. Just the ones that start with “B” include Bethesda and BioWare. Someone needs to wrangle these giants together.

Things can also get better. Think about that first before making frivolous threads.

You know that he has you on ignore for months and has not responded to your posts/replies/quotes for ~6 months to my knowledge. You have even commented on this fact about being on his ignore list. You commonly reply to his threads and his posts.

Personally, I think it is quite fine to respond to posts on this forum irrespective of who made them but I do not understand your own internal rationale when you stated:

In fact, since you know he has you ignore, you keep adding to your replies to him:

Since you know he has you on ignore, of course he does not reply. That does not mean that he agrees with you.

2 Likes

I’m going to need a citation on this one. Who exactly said that, and why would you believe them?

A multi-billion dollar parent company sold one of their multi-million dollar subsidiary companies to a BIGGER multi-billion dollar company. There’s nothing about that whatsoever that anyone who isn’t woefully naive should interpret as “this is going to work out well for the consumer.”

Hell, it didn’t even work out well for the employees. Sure, Bobby K got axed (albeit with a golden parachute severance package) but so did what, a thousand or so “footpad” level employees?

1 Like

That was my point to him. And he knows it because he reads all of my posts.

A 99.99% chance it was just a person or two’s forum posts saying it, wishful thinking, etc. Then when something doesn’t happen immediately, the clowns are like “see, didn’t happen!”. Rome wasn’t built in a day. When my company got purchased by a parent 20 years ago, it took a good 4-5 years before they pushed any changes. There are even drafts of changes from 2006 that have yet to be passed.

Please provide evidence of this in the past few months. I can not find any post where he responded to you in the past 6 months.

You asked him to provide a source. He did not give you a source because of his use of the forum ignore forum feature.