BP…APS (rounded to 3 dp)
1…1.102
2…1.256
3…1.459
4…1.742
5…2.160
6…2.842
7…4.154

Note that these figures are rounded up to ensure that you actually exceed the breakpoint from sheet rather than math. For example, a 1.1 2h crossbow and 32.8 IAS on gear = 1.46 BP, number 3 above.

Using a RoRg and Taskers, you add the 40-50% pet bonus to this sheet APS . For example, 1.47 * (1+ 0.48) = 2.17 (number 5 on the linked graph) so you jump to that speed for your companions and sentries, and get the number of shots from your sentries for the skills you choose, based upon the graphs below.

The numbers on the left are the BPs as I’ve numbered above. It tells you precisely what number of shots your sentries will fire in 30 seconds

3 spenders
i.imgur .com/p1nAOPG.png

2 spenders
i.imgur .com/KgmGnjU.png

Abbreviations:
BP = Breakpoint
CA = Cluster Arrow
MS = Multishot
Imp = Impale
Chak = Chakram
EA = Elemental Arrow
Bolts = Sentry auto attack. Note that EA or Chakram will completely replace bolts should you use them.

(sorry for the broken links, can’t post links in this forum)

After reading a bunch of info scattered around about Sentry behavior (particularly with the 6 piece Marauder’s set bonus), I wanted to do a bit more research into the mechanics of Sentry’s behavior.

Most importantly, I wanted to try and get a better understanding of the exact Attack Speed breakpoints (as it relates to Sentries and TnT), the cool down timers for most of the skills, and how the skills interact - in order to optimize gear selections.

Rather than rely on how long it takes to kill a mob, I wanted to try and do some more detailed analysis.Be warned, the post is relatively long.

Here’s what I’ve found so far(I’ll try to credit those whose information I merely re-verified).

Sentry Break Points:

The goal here was to identify how a sentry’s attack speed is affected by the Increased Attack Speed stats on our gear. After doing some forum browsing I found the post below that identified that the sentry’s attack rate falls into certain fixed attack rates based on your character’s Attack Per Second (see below).

Credit goes to to Dialysis who initially posted the information about these break points.

Diablo 3 Forums

I subsequently verified the break points identified in his post and confirmed that the break points listed above are accurate. Unfortunately, the only realistic way to get to a 12 frame attack rate is to use Tasker and Theos.

I’ve tried to clean up the information Dialysis provided in his table and add a bit more detail. I’m going to use a few abbreviations, to make things fit.

Min APS - Minimum Pet Attacks Per Second to achieve this fire rate
Max APS - Maximum Pet Attacks Per Second to achieve this fire rate
Sentry FPA - Number of frames between each attack a sentry makes
Sentry APS - Number of attacks per second the sentry will make

Min APS......Max APS........Sentry FPA.........Sentry APS
------------------------------------------------------------
4.15386........Cap...............2.............5
------------------------------------------------------------

With the above table, I reference Pet Attacks Per Second. I’m using that term because sentries are treated as pets.

If you’re NOT wearing Tasker and Theo, your Pet’s APS is the same as your character’s APS

If you ARE wearing Tasker and Theo, your Pet’s APS is your character’s APS multiplied by the bonus provided by Tasker and Theo.

Pet APS = Character APS * (1 + (Tasker and Theo Bonus / 100))

With these fixed attack rates, the break points between tiers can make a significant difference in performance. It may provide the ability to add or subtract IAS on your gear and better optimize your gear for damage.

Internal Cooldowns for Skills and Usage

After locking down break points, the goal was to try and actual internal cooldown times for hatred spenders. Cluster Arrow, Multishot and Impale have a clearly defined cooldown between shots, while Elemental Arrow and Chakram merely replace the sentry’s standard shots.

Multishot and Impale
Sentry APS...Sentry FPA...Delay in Seconds.....Delay in Frames
--------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------
Cluster Arrow
Sentry APS...Sentry FPA...Delay in Seconds.......Delay in Frames
----------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------

The sentries fire at their identified attack rate. At each attack, it makes a determination whether to fire a bolt or a spender. If a spender has reached it’s cooldown, the spender (Cluster Arrow, Impale or Multishot) will be fire instead of a bolt.

When multiple spenders are available to be fired, the sentry will always pick the spender with the longer cooldown. As a result, if you have both Multishot and Cluster Arrow on your bar and both spenders are off their cooldowns, Cluster Arrow will be used first (longer cooldown) and then Multishot will be fired on the next available attack.

Sentry Ramp-up

In the past, sentries started at a base firing rate of 1.1 APS and then readjusted their firing rate after firing a normal bolt. This led to significant issues when users had multiple hatred spenders that precluded the sentry from firing a normal bolt - essentially locking the sentries into an incorrect firing rate.

With the release of 2.1, sentry behavior has changed significantly to mitigate this bug. Now, sentries have been updated so they deploy with the appropriate initial firing rate - based on your character’s equipment. As a result, the issue with sentry ramp-up has been eliminated and users are able to take advantage of skills like Elemental Arrow and Chakram, without adversely affecting the sentry’s firing rate.

Closing thoughts

Hopefully some of the info here was new / useful. Please let me know if you see anything out of line. I’ve been trying to put together a damage calculation spreadsheet to compare different builds at different attack speeds. I’d hoped getting down to a 12 frame sentry attack would be incredibly powerful, but it looks like you may need to sacrifice too much to get there. It’s helped me figure out a few break points, so if I ever get it in a good spot, I may publish it - if there’s interest.

Open Notes / Issues:

There are a couple of items that need some additional testing / research to do a full write-up, but are worth mentioning to boost awareness.

Dynamic Attack Speed Changes

While the issue of sentry ramp up has been addressed, the underlying cause of the problem hasn’t been fixed. Rather, the issue’s been swept under the rug. Fundamentally, sentries still do not re-adjust their firing rate unless a regular bolt is fired.

The end result means that any temporary buffs that boost attack speed won’t affect a placed sentry that doesn’t fire a standard sentry bolt. This is typically only the case when using Chakram or Elemental Arrow; or when using a lower attack speed and having Impale and Multishot equipped.

In order to prevent abuse, the 2.1 patch seems to have also changed sentries to not only update their attack speed when a sentry fire a standard bolt but also only update the sentry’s weapon damage when a sentry fires a standard bolt. This eliminates the option of swapping weapons to abuse the behavior.

This requires a bit more testing, but the lack of ability to have temporary attack speed boosts significantly effect the sentry’s firing rate is a disappointing outcome.

Cluster Arrow Firing Rate

There seems to be some oddities with the firing rate of Cluster Arrow. It seems other have seen the issue on PTR, and I haven’t done a ton of research but for whatever reason occasionally CA will fire one attack faster than normal.

In my testing this morning, with a hand crossbow - I was able to get CA to fire consistently at a 126 frames between each CA rather than the normal 144 frames between firings, while at the 18 frame break point (3.3333 APS). Oddly enough, I was not able to replicate the issue when using a bow at the same firing rate. I need to do more testing, but I wonder if it has to do with IAS on the weapon.

If anyone has more info / detail about the bug - please let me know.

I don’t think it was a bad excuse. High GR gameplay consisted of fishing for corvus, plant sentries in another room, close door and hide until stuff dies. Blizzard considered this as “non-engaging” gameplay and they were right. The idea was they wanted you to do “something” for the power expended. Whether or not the change was warranted can be debated, but the fact remains that it was a build that had the least player interaction by far that was also stronger than any other class/build at the time. The fun part is subjective of course.

I actually think the auto-cast coming back into the picture is fine. A lot of people liked it, though probably more so how strong it actually was than anything, but it’ll still bring back some of the nostalgia effect. We’re not going to have multiple spenders slotted as the itemization has changed quite a bit. They stated they wanted to bring back SOME of the legacy functionality, so it appears to me (for now) that you’ll still have to fire yourself to get the most out of the sentries, and if that’s the case, that strikes a good balance between “engaging” and “Netflix and chill” gameplay, and should appeal to players on different sides of the spectrum.

1 Like

then years later they create a hydra wizard build that does the exact same thing.

1 Like

Not exactly. Wizards still had to channel to get the damage bonuses. Remember, we use to literally be able to plant our sentries, hide behind doors, go browse the internet, use the bathroom, take a phone call, and come back to a room of dead elites with practically 0 risk involved.

Hydra’s however, was the closest cousin to M6 to have existed though. Blizzard seems to be fine with pets dealing all of the damage as long as there’s some sort of player interaction and risk involved (think inna’s monk, FB and hydra wizard, new WD’s, new rathma etc).

I understand what you are trying to tell me, but sentries don’t last forever they expire. and the issue with the typhoon set is actually that you are loosing damage when you get hit, so this set literally forces you to not have an engaging gameplay

I edited my solution above. How about this for Manticore?

MANTICORE (edited)

• Reduces the Hatred cost of Cluster Arrow by 50% and increases its damage by 300%. Enemies hit by your Cluster Arrow take double damage from Cluster Arrow for 3 seconds.

Now you have to shoot it at stuff. It doesn’t address Multishot, but if we get CA +1-2GR stronger than MS, that might be okay, and MS becomes the lazier way to play.

1 Like

You’re confusing engaging gameplay with gameplay design. With typhoon, yes you lost damage if you took damage, and it forced you to pick between channeling to maintain offensive power and getting hit, also losing power. This meant you were actively engaged in the battle and had to make choices due to the risk involved. This is engaging gameplay.

Now, whether or not typhoon is good gameplay can be debated, and amongst the community, many felt like it was not good gameplay, but it was engaging, just not in the way players really liked.

Old M6, by definition, developed into non-engaging gameplay with the reward being far greater than the risk for the power it had. I’m not saying I agree with what blizzard changed the set into, all I’m saying is I understood why they did it and their reasoning was fair, though I would have went a different route with it personally.

but typhoon is the exact same thing: you only have to find a spot where you can’t get hit (e.g. behind a wall) and just channel anywhere without actually hitting stuff

This is true, you could do that, however this wasn’t the best way to play it. Checkout this typhoon hydra video push:

The best way to play it was to be actively engaged. He was using multiple skills constantly.
This was not the case with old M6 (at the time of course), as I explained in the examples above. There wasn’t anything else you really could do with the build besides run or stand still. They aren’t the same :confused:

2 Likes

trying not to die in the realm of trial to get a decent GR key :smiley:

yeah, we’re basically talking about Marauder when GR 30 or something like that was a hard push. Like I said, I never got to play it back then, but I’m thinking your going to have to be pretty active to really push with Marauder now, but it will also be pretty casual in 110-120 at paragons an average player might get.

I’m thinking, they’re just trying to give the DH a casual friendly set. That’s my guess. And for those that really want to push with it are going to find it isn’t exactly the same as it used to be.

Too much has changed since then. New Items with powerful affixes or middling affixes, It’s pretty much a different game than it used to be and you can expect the set to play differently too the higher you go.

Oh gawd, not trials! The nightmares! lol

“I actually think the auto-cast coming back into the picture is fine. A lot of people liked it, though probably more so how strong it actually was than anything, but it’ll still bring back some of the nostalgia effect. We’re not going to have multiple spenders slotted as the itemization has changed quite a bit”

Requoted myself from earlier to say I agree. My replies focused on why autocast was removed in the first place at the time and the reasoning behind it.

As far as a casual set though, GoD6 was/is pretty casual, relative to the other DH builds.

I saw what you were saying, I just the same in a different way. I was agreeing with you too.

But I’m just excited because I never got to play the original and this gives me a chance to do that as well as just to mess around with Marauder’s in other content.

Way back when, the first time I did a T 13 Rift in 4 min was with Marauder’s. That’s the first season I got Guardian for the Season. This is going to be good just for the memories.

I switched to UE after that and never went back. But now I’ve got reason. I didn’t like N6/M4 and it being the better sentry build really bothered me.

Edit:

Also, if Marauder’s Set Dungeon wasn’t easy enough, it will definitely be easy now for folks. Just walk in and plop down sentries. And just walk through it.

I do that one or Shadow for the Journey every season so it’ll feel a little funny it being even easier now. lol

1 Like

I think it will be a mix play from old and new.

I think entangling shot is going to be king. Then it’s just pick your spender with available supports.

So autofire replaces spender spam, and player spams a primary to debuff instead.

to make nostalgia perfect the strongest skill should be cluster arrow. the maelstrom animation looks so beautiful

1 Like

Anyone care to speculate the math for what gets given up to stack attack speed? I’m guessing Dex? Maybe some chd/chc?

Best F&R chc,chd,att,socket
Best amulet 20% ele, chc, chd, socket.
Witching Hour and Lacunis back? Some Mempos or Andy’s? Maybe sneak a Tals chest in there?

I don’t think we had 20% att spd quivers last time?

after 2k paragon you get rid of DEX anyway, and you may want to roll other stuff to IAS in order to get to your desired breakpoint (check my big IAS post here Marauder's 4pc Pre-PTR Change - #21 by sNaKe-2541)

I realise I’ll find out tomorrow, but I wonder what the sentries will fire if you have two spenders on your bar… the most recently used one, one in preference to the other, randomly picked…

all here: Marauder's 4pc Pre-PTR Change - #21 by sNaKe-2541

The sentries fire at their identified attack rate. At each attack, it makes a determination whether to fire a bolt or a spender. If a spender has reached it’s cooldown, the spender (Cluster Arrow, Impale or Multishot) will be fire instead of a bolt.

When multiple spenders are available to be fired, the sentry will always pick the spender with the longer cooldown. As a result, if you have both Multishot and Cluster Arrow on your bar and both spenders are off their cooldowns, Cluster Arrow will be used first (longer cooldown) and then Multishot will be fired on the next available attack.

1 Like

Did we have 20%attspd quivers last time it autofired?