Let the game release Dudes!

Just why would anyone who plays in FFA be at a disadvantage? every single one of you people who praise FFA clearly does have lacking experience in how anything else would work.

You would not flood game with a single more item with personal loot. not one.
if anything its an advantage to play in FFA, so why make such a deal with having more options?

I think it boils down to that you clearly are afraid that 95% of the playerbase will be on Personal loot created games.

See the 3 linked interview reports in this post.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3/t/why-we-wont-ever-get-personal-loot-or-any-other-big-additions/29031/12

This is exactly the point I was making, both sides are anecdotal. And for what its worth, all the people I speak with hate personal loot. We each live in a bubble and that’s fine, that’s called bias. I acknowledge I believe I am right and you believe you are right.

Thankfully, the VV devs agree that they want to keep it as true to the original experience as possible.

Changing the loot system is just adding many many more months of development, testing, feedback, and balacing that is not needed. They can look at feedback and tweaking AFTER the game is released and people play the first ladder season.

There is also always Diablo 4 coming out to test out new mechanics and unproven systems

Congrats on dropping down to insults.

1 Like

They want to have selectable options to keep it as true to D2 as possible. That does not mean that they will not add other things the D2R community request such as balance changes going forward. They also apparently indicated that they are concerned with keeping D2 the same will ruin the quality of the game for new players. They do not want that either. Blizzard is in a tight spot here. They know D2 purist want one thing that conflicts with what other D2 players and new players want.

2 Likes

you are free to take that however you want, i think its wery “close minded” if that sounds better, to think inside of the box intead of out of it, like some do. why pay and play for the same old flaws of a anotherwise great game? its like paying for a broken car and not wanting it fixed.

diablo 2 is really great everyone here has bought it, but it have some BIG flaws that really do hold down the quality and experience when playing.

no i think you have missed the quotes, they are open for alot more changes, especially after release based on feedback.

by using this statement it yet again shows your thoughts on things in life, there is always the original diablo 2 that you can stick to, maybe refund D2r? they might change a thing in the future…
is that how you should argue? we are not talking about diablo 4 here.

im still wery confident that people who are against personal loot is afraid their FFA created games will be dead. A option for how loot will be handled when creating a game is not going to break or change your experience if you want it like D2 currently is.
no more than other features that we have and will get, this alone would certainly not be many many months of development.

1 Like

Yea I have read the whole interview/articles with Chris Lena. He talks about potentially doing things in the future but consistently reiterates for now they have decided against it and will do it based on feedback. Ultimately the feedback is going to be the exact same circular argument that goes on on these forums with the fan base split.

I would not be surprised to see down the line after the game launches some ladder seasons with potential balance changes and other features but it still pretty consistently in the actual context in the interviews sounds like they are initially going for the authentic experience he reiterates it quite a bit.

And I personally agree with that philosophy and the one this thread is proposing.

If the game launches close to current form on release and delivers the authentic experience I am sure people like me and many other old-schools fans may be open to more development in the future once they get their nostalgia fix that the game is going for. I think the feedback will start trending less in the direction of a split community and more into cohesive feedback from a larger audience that can educate/guide changes. But I don’t think and it doesn’t sound like that’s the plan for launch and it strikes a pretty logical balance for me to operate that way.

3 Likes

You are likely right. The question is whether they listen to one side or hedge their bets to placate both sides. Also, CL stated that “our designers have a list of things they would love to do. So we’ll see how that goes going forward”. To me, it would be naïve to think that D2R will remain unchanged, since there are already discussing balance changes as a possibility as well as a “list of things” that the designers would love to do.

1 Like

:You are likely right. The question is whether they listen to one side or hedge their bets to placate both sides. Also, CL stated that “our designers have a list of things they would love to do. So we’ll see how that goes going forward”.:

Yea absolutely that’s the key part and I agree with what’s said afterward. Even as someone people here may consider a “purist” or whatever we are calling it I am totally cool if they deliver on launch day and take it from there with new developments and features once we have cohesive community feedback I think it should be the best of both worlds for everyone and we can have much more logical changes than trying to decipher the insanely polarized argumentative feedback we have on here now. I am sure placating both audiences is tempting but its purely a personal opinion and I am not making any sweeping statement that I think that’s too common these days and waters down a lot of stuff without real post launch feedback.

this right here clearly shows they want to do more with the game, and giving more options. im wery positive that we can get more stuff like the options for auto gold pickup. basing these forums on posts, comments and likes there is more people asking for more changes and balance fixes than not.

Just hang on here for when people start to get beta acces and the game relased, the feedback for more changes and fixes will wery likely increase by alot. there is a reason mods is wery popular for this game afterall.

I agree with you except for

D2 is not new. Many of us including myself have played D2 thousands of hours, we already know the game and can provide feedback (some may argue about the quality of said feedback, but that is different).

This topic as many others are and will continue to be divisive. There is a reason that D2 has a ton of mods that address deficiencies in the game as well as those who like the D2 battlenet experience.

I don’t disagree with you on any of that conceptually. But I am someone who would be part of a community split with you on the actual issues that are opinions. For you and some others on one side of the argument its fine to say “I know we need these changes” but there’s always going to be the other side that wants to experience the same classic experience.

The only reason I have a differing opinion on the order of operations on how to fix these things is because I would love for all the hardcore old-school guys like me to get the nostalgic experience, and especially considering the current plans for ladders to be 3 months, there is perfect opportunity with these ladder seasons and plenty of time for the dev’s to add and implement and balance later on in the second or subsequent seasons to give everyone their wish, again with the opportunity on a much larger scale to accrue feedback, instead of just one crowd or a plethora of watered down features placating 2 sides.

I do not mind a delay in implementing choices. Even if Blizzard introduced a loot choice option it would be most likely after the game has been released and a patch or 2 in. If you look at the forum, there has been alot of rhetoric stating that adding an option would destroy the game. If it was selcetable on a per game basis, that argument is clear hyperbole.

I do not think a loot option is equivalent to “watered down feature”. For me, FFA makes public mitliplayer games largely intolerable. Many have spoken about that leechers can get 0-100% of good drops in a game. For me personally, I dislike the idea that leechers get more than 12.5%.

In addition, I used to feel bad in an 8 player game when I clicked first on the good drop. I knew that 7/8 of the time in cases where everyone was carrying that weight that the good drop “belonged” to someone else.

Personal loot isn’t going to happen. Too big of a change that clearly changes the multiplayer experience. Not worth discussing.

Changes like cow king killing and pindle portal are worth changing, and those are the changes we want blizzard to confirm.

1 Like

I still play D2. But 25 FPS is cancer for my eyes. Sure, I want more fps, this has nothing to do with the game design, but solely with the technological limitations back in 2000…

I think it’s gonna be exactly like that. And I think, it’s important to have the release quite pure. Then people can have this patch for ever and hopefully can rollback to that patch for their pure singleplayer experience.

If there will be a lot of changes down the road, I might rollback one day aswell and play the release edition of D2R.

1 Like

well i understand the need to not "add a bunch of changes on release, but there still needs you need to keep in mind

1. what we see in the trailer is almost guaranteed to be a “vertical slice”, the game isnt finished
  2. “patches” can only so “so much” and still be “backwards compatible”…
    since this is an online game. some of the bigger changes they have planned may need to have some “base level” ability to support them. the last thing we need is to have is to erase both ladder and non-ladder to implement a change. this probably wont be an issue during final release, but some of the games i am testing which are in “alpha” i have to completely restart every month because the old saves while loadable on the newer version has countless issues that arn’t present if u make a “new” save.
    i know a lot of the younger generation just thinks “patch it in” but, its not that simple. if u cange one thing i can very easily cause of TON of unintended side effects.

case in point “path of diablo” has a new season start and he added some new “loot filter” capabilities, sadly this as also comepltly broke everything as the loot filter table got offset, so now every time the filter grabs from the “offset” location it crashes the game…
so he had to completely disable filters until the code and be fixes so the table doesn’t get offset.

1 Like

Luckily it is not, according to the devs’ statements :slight_smile: I am not talking about the ladder. But the singleplayer, which a lot of people still play and enjoy for D2 Vanilla (me included).

That’s exactly what I am talking about! If you patch it in (or try to), you can at least test it and the devs have all the time to do so. If they were to implement changes, which were not tested very extensively, for the release, it might have non trivial consequences for the gameplay. That’s exactly, why I do not want any more changes for the release version.

There are changes, I would like and I would support. This even includes changes, that change the gameplay slightly. But not for the release!

Yes, good example, but even if changes work as intended, they might cause non-trivial changes in the experience, which you would not expect / want.

2 Likes

lol oh god the amount of people asking for “personal loot” who dont understand this…

like yes it will accomplish what u want it too… but it will also… break… like… EVERYTHING else. and yet somehow they are just blissfulyl unaware that what they are asking for would completely break the game XD

1 Like

For example I would like to see few new things like new unique items or dungeons locations. Maybe skill changed to not used skills which could create new viable fun builds.

1 Like

Ok, but why for the release version? I mean, isn’t it already fun, to just play D2 LoD with nice graphics, >25 fps, larger stash and with thousands of ultra hyped people? Also it is just very hard / impossible, to balance new changes or content, without having people playing on servers already and trying some things successively.

Because how long we can play same game without anything new? Another 10 years? I dont think so. But you are right, lets release as identical and then later add things.