Is it a violation of the CoC

To impersonate another forum member by using the same distinctive name and avatar?

Not at all. Have a blast.

Even if your nicknames are same, Blizzard’s system will give you a different hash tag of numbers after the pound or dash sign.
Hardly a violation if you use someone’s nickname as nicknames can be as simple as common everyday items and anyone can think of the same ways of differentiating them. It would be a violation if you would use that resemblance as a way of impersonating someone else.

Eh. I’m pretty sure it still is against the forum CoC, when the person’s intent is pretty clear on impersonate/mimic someone. I’m guessing it will fall in harassment or trolling category.

3 Likes

I had someone choose the same name and avatar for awhile, but they changed avatars after a few days. Also, they have never posted so it is not relevant anyway.

I actually more surprised to see that there is people out there willing to forked out money to buy a new D3 just to impersonate someone, and also making sure the impersonation was close to the original poster.

I can’t tell it is trolling or obsession at this point.

It was done to illicit a negative response, so at the least it’s trolling.

It wasn’t some random troll response however, somebody actually went out of their way to change names and avatars to pursue/target a particular forum user, I’m no lawyer but that sounds like harassment to me.

3 Likes

Did that aktually happened? :smiley: I need to see this!

Check out what happened to Meteorblade.

That is pretty low or incredibly unfortunate coincidence given the sheer number of avatars. At least, my doppelganger changed avatars and has not posted yet.

If someone created a new account with the name: MicroRNA with the same avatar would that be a coincidence?

• See below. :point_down: :point_down: :point_down:

The account that is now known as Meteorblade#11171 used to have a different posting name when it was used extensively back in October / November 2020. It has since been altered to have the same display name as me, use the same avatar as I use, and a couple of posts were made from it in the last 24 hours, which I responded to by pointing out they were not made by me.

The owner of that account has previously made multiple heroes named after me, across a number of their other accounts, and I’m firmly of the opinion that this is a pattern of behaviour that has escalated from being a minor annoyance and firmly into the harassment / targeted harassment territory, but we’ll see what the moderators think.

14 Likes

Are you saying that it is definitely our forum troll? If so the mods need to do something fast.

Who would you even report this to?

Let’s see if Miss Cheetah knows?

Is it bad if I want to see some more “Oblivions”?

Wear it as a badge of honour that someone’s so desperate to troll you that have to pretend to be you. Completely undermines them.

I just read the CoC and it would seem impersonation of a Blizz employee is the only way to get banned so fire up your CV and send it in. Circuitous method of dealing with these naughty gremlins but worth it.

I am sure this falls into some type of mental disorder I just don’t know the name of that condition.

This one is tough.

Certainly having the same name is allowed in the system so Mods don’t get involved under normal circumstances. We have at least three Leviathans for example. HOWEVER - doing so to harass another user crosses lines I THINK.

It is Labor Day weekend and most people are not at work so it makes it hard for me to ask.

1 Like

No it is not the more lore masters on the forum the better. :metal:

1 Like

Thanks.

Somewhat related question