Which gem is better if I take a lot of melee damage?

My Tempest Rush Monk is always in the middle of it so he takes a lot of melee damage.

Molten Wildebeest’s Gizzard

This Gem increases Life Regeneration by 10,000 per Second. You can level this Gem all the way up to rank 150. Every upgrade increases the Life Regeneration by 1,000 per Second up to a total of 160,000 per second. On top of that the secondary rank 25 grants you a shield for 200% of your total sheet Life per Second after not taking any damage (including damage absorbed by shields) for 4 seconds. Life per Second effect from skills, passives and other items also count towards this shield effect.

Mutilation Guard

Gain 10% melee damage reduction. You can level this Gem up to rank 100. Every upgrade increases melee damage reduction by 0.5% up to a total of 60% at rank 100. On top of that the secondary rank 25 provides the ability to move unhindered through enemies while you are below 50% life.

If you’re taking too much damage and want to use a gem for toughness, the best one is esoteric alteration. Yes, even for melee characters.

5 Likes

Agree with Kikaha.

I like the WD Jade set, and if I have to choose between Molten or Mutilation for more thoughness… Esoteric.

I tried the 3 several times and it’s the best.

1 Like

I do not understand how does a gem that prevents some range damage help if I am up close and personal?
Is that not melee damage I am taking? My S24 monk has Tempest Rush and Sweeping Wind.

Esoteric reduces all damage (both range and melee) except physical damage (which can be both range and melee, an arrow is range physical for example). Most damage taken are elemental affixes from elites. Try it, you’ll see.

2 Likes

I need to level one up and give it a go. TVYM.

No problem. Keep at it and you might be eligible for the next monk challenge rift ! Good luck with your character.

1 Like

WD is not a melee class, but you’re in the “melee” with some builds and Esoteric helps a lot for elites, for sure, but also for a lot of trashmobs

1 Like

the best defense is kill everything fast

I think you want Mutilation Guard straight up or Esoteric as mentioned above. Molten is strong but I think it needs some sort of dodge or increased block chance with a shield to support it, as absorb bubble ceases if you take damage when it finally exhausts.
Consider Gogok of Swiftness gem as second or third gem if you go with Gizzard. Else if you’re a Monk, Crusader or Barbarian, consider block rating and dodge increasing skills and passives with a hand bare shield where dodge don’t apply.

Esoteric is not good for physical damage. It literally says it does absolutely nothing for physical damage.

Moratorium and Mutilation Guard are infinitely better for physical damage.

Very good point I forgot the Monk has a 35% dodge chance passive.

Please note that’s not me posting.

Notice that the underlying account is…
https://us.diablo3.com/en-us/profile/Meteorblade-11171/career
…and it has just 106 posts. Their post history

My account…
https://eu.diablo3.com/en-us/profile/Meteorblade-2266/career
…and has thousands of posts. My post history

Pretty sure directly impersonating another poster by deliberately creating an account with the exact same posting name and posting nonsense would be seen as trolling from the Forum Code of Conduct but let’s see.

12 Likes

Can be, although i have noticed a lot of people named chris (also often refered to as brother xD). Anyway ty for clarification, i surely didnt see it at 1st glance.

Why am I have the feeling is “that guy who have a lot of Diablo 3 accounts” doing this impersonation?

5 Likes

The account had a different name at the time of the famous “Only Jesseth’s” thread…

2 Likes

This is sad. Now he’s using his numerous accounts to impersonate other people?

Of course it’s always possible to create accounts with a same name by sheer coincidence. However in this case we know the account in question previously used another name and now the new name is a deliberate choice.

3 Likes

At this point, I don’t know he really hate you or he sub-consciously just want to be you so much or simply thirsty for your acknowledgement.

4 Likes

This is getting out of hand. Not only using the same name but also the same avatar.

2 Likes

Psycho alert!!! His ego crushes his mind beyond repair.