DH Set Gears Of Dreadlands

Very squishy, gets pretty much one shotted at t16…
Especially when momentum is low or gone.

For me this is NOT a fun build, dying all the time.

Sacrificing all damage gear, including squirt’s necklace, focus, restraint etc, for aquila, unity and other protection things is not my idea of fun.
Using elusive ring, doesn’t really fit in this build either in my opinion, but it is required, unfortunately.

I sincerely hope this build receives more protection and a way to gain sufficient hatred. Strafing around is fun, like ww barb. Especially the speed you gain, is quite fun. For a short while, DH flashes around the screen. That should be ALL the time.

I do not see how this build would be better than multishot, impale builds.
(Other class sets were intended to be significantly better than all previous ones).

I hope the build will be improved, strafe can definitely be fun.

28 Likes

Did you incorporate Shadow Power? I feel that single skill fixes all the problems with survivability.

I noticed that the stacks don’t hang around much. The way it’s worded makes it seem like every use of a primary skill should refresh them at five stacks for ten seconds:

Gain a Momentum stack when attacking with a Primary skill. Each Momentum stack lasts 2 seconds at a maximum duration of 10 seconds. Your Primary skills deal 10% more damage per stack of Momentum.

But in practice, it seems like you shed one stack every two seconds regardless, like how Soul Harvest used to work ages ago.

I also like how they incorporated Strafe without it being the damage dealer, but it really seems like the primary skills it shoots off should maintain/refresh the stacks too instead of start/stopping to hard cast them. As-is, it breaks the flow of strafe badly.

8 Likes

I was doing t16 just fine and not squishy and did not use the Elusive ring.

I was running Depth Diggers, Dawn for cdr and rorg. I could have put the elusive ring back as I did not have a Visage of Gunes to actually wear to test shadow power as an option.
I had wraps of clarity and was using the traveler set and COE. I went with Bolas and fire damage and set strafe for the occasional damage reduction (like on a band of might barb). Strafe is defintely not worth talking about like whirlwind on barb / wastes set. Its the primary skills that do the work. Had hunters wrath decent roll for belt. I used mark for death to put damage circle under targets for 15% more damage.

I had archery, cull the weak, ambush and awareness on passives. I just stuffed a bane of trapped, zeis, and stricken as I was just testing.

I agree on the not fun. You are too busy trying to use the generator and spender strafe to keep up buffs. Thus the traveler set as you have to move around too much. Squishy I would have to hold off as testing had to wait as the server lag is just horrendous right now. Damage felt OK but not like WD or Wiz from last season.

3 Likes

I also noticed that. It does not feel good.

Maybe each use of a Primary Skill should give maybe 5 stacks of a buff that you can stack maybe 50 times, and when you emanate a Primary Skill from Strafe, it consumes 1 of the Stacks and the Primary Skill you emanated deals xx.xxx% increased damage.

That way you can build up stacks and spend them on Strafing without having to switch between Strafe and Primary Skill so often.

The movement and DR buff had to work separate from that somehow…

The counter is the seconds. So it just shows how many seconds you have left. It increases by two every time a spender you manually fire hits, and then counts down.

I could easily do GR100 at 15k main stat and fully ancients, thou I went BoW, Flavor of Time, Dawn, WoC bracers. I choose Hungering Arrow because I got a really good quiver for it. It’s just, it should be able to do 110-115.

So much for the DH getting anything worthy for waiting until the very end to get our class set. This new set looks terrible and if it can’t even beat out multishot or impale then our already terrible GR competitive level just became permeant.

At least other classes have good GR sets. We have Zero, so this new set had to be the set that beats out every set the DH has, and I get the feeling its going to be worse than the wizards typhoon set.

12 Likes

That is interesting.

The duration of buffs is ordinarily shown either directly above a skill by a small bar that drains down, or by an icon above the hotbar…

The number on a skill icon is generally either an amount of stacks or the number of currently available charges.

Ooooohhh, okay. I get it now. It’s just worded real funny. When it says:

It should probably say something like

Gain “Momentum” for 2 seconds after attacking with a primary skill. Each use of a primary skill increases “momentum” by two seconds, up to a maximum of 10 seconds. Your primary skills deal 10% increased damage per second of “momentum” remaining.

As is, it makes it sound like momentum stacks and momentum duration are two separate values, which is why I was confused.

1 Like

Yea I was thinking the same thing, and it got me wondering if that was intentional. But it was very clear when I would just shoot a little and then Strafe around.

What I didn’t get to test was whether it stacked as 1 per second or 1 per 2 seconds. As quite frankly there was too much lag all of the sudden.

I totally agree, as I was expecting it to hold the maximum stacks for 10 seconds, and that’s is partly why I think it might be a bug. But we will see.

The other issue is the firing rate of Strafe and out Primary attacks. I didn’t get to test the timings either but it sure is slow.

1 Like

Then they definitely have to improve the way this buff is displayed.

There are a few other buffs that come from items, like “After you used Skill X, take xx% less damage for x seconds” and that buff is being displayed above the skill itself, like the reduced damage taken buff from the Barbarian’s WotW set that you get for x seconds after using Whirlwind also gets displayed above the skill icon of Whirlwind.

That was the one I was expecting to show up, but I guess it doesn’t as it is supposed to be a stacking effect, not a timed bonus.

For now I’ll just see if it behaves well with all the multipliers and how it handles other Primary skills. But until then it is time for some sleep, probably for you aswell.

1 Like

Anyone else find it odd that the 4pc will keep items like Wraps of Clarity buffs up but not it’s own momentum buff. This has to be a bug right?

6 Likes

I agree that the build feels too squishy. That and alternating between strafe and primaries defeats the fantasy of a channeling build and a primary skills build. Strafe’s casting of primaries needs to either refresh/stack up momentum, or momentum needs to last much longer so that strafe has some function other than to spend hatred for a little mobility/damage reduction. Dreadlands feels like they wanted to give DH a channeling/movement set but are punishing demonhunters for how easy the justice set is to play for monks. DH already have a L-click R-click set and its called unhallowed.

2 Likes

It’s not even that it’s consistent within items vs set bonus. Wraps of Clarity is perma refreshed by it, but Focus/Restraint and Momentum aren’t, and I’m almost certain the free primary skills from the 4 set also aren’t benefiting from the level 25 effect of Simplicity’s Strength either, which is a MASSIVE hit to survivability.

2 Likes

“Anyone else find it odd that the 4pc will keep items like Wraps of Clarity buffs up but not it’s own momentum buff. This has to be a bug right?”

This. This right here. I had Wraps of Clarity and figured that since that was staying up that the Momentum stacks would stay up, but the Momentum stacks wear off as you’re still firing your Primary to build up Momentum. I saw somebody’s comment earlier about maybe getting 5 of something and each time Strafe fires it takes one away. That’s a possibility. I think that there needs to be some method of refreshing stacks. Even if we have to stop to shoot manually for that to maintain the damage, and the attack and movement speed boosts, that would be similar to Wrath of the Wastes pausing to activate Ground Stomp or whatever.

Regarding squishiness, this set seems like a natural Mantle of Channeling combo, but with the stacks falling away as rapidly as they do, we have to stop channeling, which also can easily cause Taeguk stacks to fall away to nothing. Wraps of Clarity and the 4-piece boost to damage reduction are nice, but in the push to higher difficulties, small things like the Mantle of Channeling boost to attack and defense becomes more and more necessary. I primarily do Hardcore characters, and losing any tankiness for that long is instant death.

4 Likes

The way it seems to work is each time you manually cast your primary, you gain 2 seconds worth of momentum, and the timer just ticks down normally so you have to hit with a manual primary once every second to maintain maximum stacks. The hit part is the worst part about all this, it means you can’t pre-stack and especially for us EU testers, trying to weave primaries into strafe ticks on 200-400ms is really not pleasant.

1 Like

WOW!
That mechanic SUX!

3 Likes

I used this build with Depth Diggers / the 2 bolas buffing bow and off hand / bane of the trapped / bane of the stricken / simplicity strength / ring of grandeur / ring of the zodiac / aquila in the cube and still it’s an instant death when trying to make the 10 stacks of momentum…something needs to be changed imo. build is too difficult to play as it is and even with all the buffs to primary skills (from 6 piece set 10.000% / from depth diggers 100% / from simplicity strentgh 75%) and dmg still felt very weak even on t16.
oh and 1900 paragon too…can’t even imagine how starting with 0 paragon would be on this build :slight_smile:

disappoint…

4 Likes