DH New Set Momentum

First of all i want to apologize for my english.

Just played the new DH set and it feels a little bit (understatement) clonky.
I mean you get movement speed by standing still and losing stacks already while stacking it up. i really thought its stacking while channeling strafe.

What do you guys think about it?

6 Likes

It playes a lot like Natalya strafe … Need to stop strafing to spam generator.
And slow. You can’t keep strafing like wwrend or poj. Rather disappointed.

4 Likes

The problem with this set after testing is that you lose the stacks of the momentum fairly fast. Also, the primary that is casted automatically while strafing doesn’t ‘refresh’ the stack, or sustain it.

It is definitely clunky, not to mention the damage is just underwhelming, though granted I have yet to gear up for Strafe and was fully gearing for primary damage alone (and yes, even primary damage still feels exceptionally weak).

EDIT: How I see this set would probably be useful in a 4-man meta as a zDPS should the new bow also increase damage from other sources other than the wearer.

5 Likes

Just makes no sense, that Strafe shoots your primary skill and does not stack anything. It’s just like an update Nat strafe build. So odd. Cause you lose the feeling of strafing and letting those primaries that shoot out doing anything cause you need to stop all the time to shoot primaries yourself.

3 Likes

It could be an unforeseen bug but if it isn’t, then this set is just a massive slap to the DH community to be honest.

7 Likes

Yeah… I was thinking “oh it’s just like spirit walk”. But why let strafe shoot out primaries, when they don’t do anything really, cause you need to stand still to shoot. Like the LoD build.
It is combined LoD with Natalya… Would have loved it to be fully strafe so you got a speed build with it.

Imo. it loses it’s meaning really. Hopefully a bug…

2 Likes

Jumping in on this thread rather than making my own quick thoughts from a sub 10min experience before I had to bail for work.

For perspective I’ve been more out less casual playing this game in general and haven’t mained dh since shadow set came out. I’ll normally play like 3 weeks max of a season then quit again, often just deleting my non season toons. Tldr I’m no super neck beard pro at this game and not super experienced on current dh

1. This set is super ugly. It’s got a steam punk theme (admittedly not my favorite genre in general), but the color scheme wasn’t helping.

2. You don’t get a buff icon for your primaries and they seemingly stop firing during the strafe, leading to my only way to recognize I wasn’t firing them being that my damage suddenly sucked severely.

3. the set doesn’t actually function how I thought it would. This is both better and worse… Better because I’d just assumed it would constantly fire the primaries until you stopped strafing (or basically that the timer to reset didn’t begin until you stopped strafing), which would have been a very boring 1 button set… Worse, because the current way where you constantly stop movement to fire primaries felt awkward. I’m not entirely even sure strafe is even doing anything necessary to the build.

4. I wasn’t getting animations for the primaries fired by strafe, and I don’t really know how often they where firing at all. There’s an audible primary firing noise but it’s limited to your normal firing rate for a primary… But I couldn’t tell when the primaries where actually firing in relation to using strafe and again it left me wondering what, if anything, the strafe ability is actually even doing for the build.

5. There was no buriza on the vendor or in those bags… Limiting my quick shot testing with a hungering arrow build.

6. Overall quick shot damage felt fine mowing t7 down but overall (hungering arrow setup with quiver and now set up with bow and quiver) felt miles behind the new necro set’s output. Edit I should specify I wasn’t using any gems literally just threw the set and weapon /quiver on and went to a rift

2 Likes

Only way we will ever see change is to get their attention. Pleast post in the ptr forums.

1 Like

just reading the description, it makes no sense. seems like stop fire strafe stop fire strafe wtheck. i’m not even bothering with it. i’ll probably use the bola with UE. hopefully they’ll boost kridershot at some point and buriza do kanyon

1 Like

Main problem i have with momentum is that if anything else kills target you get no momentum so you cant even use it for speed runs at lower levels because all targets die too fast to implement it .

1 Like

i thought so too, op. currently the set is way too awkward.

1 Like

This video is an excellent example to reference whats not right from TrepChains.

Feedback from ThorsShadow is good.

I agree with every one of your points. They should make the Momentum stacks last at least 5 seconds. The primary shot from Strafe on the 4-piece should also stack Momentum, because the 2-piece gives Momentum on primary skill, the 4-piece makes Strafe shoot primary skills… Why would it NOT work like that? Totally coumter-intuitive how it works now. The 6-piece should also increase Strafe damage.

The way it is now, this set plays like a WAY WAY WAY worse version of the old Whirlwind set for Barb, where you had to stop to cast Rend manually, thus destroying the flow of gameplay. With the old Barb set you at least had incredibly quick animation speed on Rend and so it wasn’t that bothersome. But the way this DH set works, makes it seem like someone designed that set, who didn’t experience the old Barb set or they didn’t learn from the mistake with that set (which is fixed in the new iteration to be fair), which would be sad.

1 Like