Development Hell is closed. Why?

Hello,

Why was Development Hell closed? There was very good two swords transmogs. Now they are not available.

Transmogs names:

Quinquennial_Sword

Second_Quinquennial_Sword

4 Likes

On the assumption that the dungeon’s actually been removed (as opposed to it just being a really rare spawn as it ever was), all of the mobs inside the Development Hell dungeon had names of Blizzard employees. Perhaps the dungeon was made unavailable due to recent court cases, some of which might have involved said employees. If that’s what they’ve actually done, it would be nice for them to make the transmogs obtainable via some alternative method, e.g. add them to the pool of stuff in Whimsyshire pinatas.

10 Likes

It’s probably similar to what they did in WoW - remove as many references to IRL persons as possible (outside of tributes OFC).

One, I called this out before and expected its arrival; if it were to happen already as thread starter stated. I too hope they keep Kanai as it’s part of the lore now. Two, I believe there are people who deserve to appear in the game still despite all the drama. As Meteorblade said, why don’t you push their appearances to the Whimsyshire? Too much paperwork?

1 Like

Make them also drop from Princess Lillian and give her 100% chance to spawn! :wink: :joy: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cost overruns mostly. Inflation. Outdated game development philosophy had something to do with it. But the biggest reason was Jay Wilson.

OH, THE RIFT… JK I love you JW.

I’m not entirely convinced it has been removed due to the controversy that has been going for the past year. The dungeon does have a fairly low spawn rate after all.

However if the dungeon has been removed, then I agree on the fact that the transmogs should be made available through another source. They are quite good looking transmogs and those who haven’t found them yet are going to be disappointed if there’s no alternative source.

Whimsyshire (specifically that) would propably be optimal place for an alternative source. It would also provide another reason to craft the Staff of Herding. Currently there’s no other reason to visit Whimsyshire after acquiring the portrait frame.

I have not heard anything about it being removed. Most of the questionable folks were not on the Diablo team that I know of. There are tons of references to people in Diablo - usually slight variations of real names. People who work/ed there, as well as community members. Some of them you kind of have to know about it or you don’t realize it, but still.

Development Hell has a VERY low spawn rate of 1% or less, and you might need to be in Campaign mode.

1 Like

Development is done. It is therefore no longer in hell and hence, the joke is as outdated as doubling everything. Unless they’ve added Duke Nukem.

Negative, it does spawn in Adventure mode.

But the spawn rate is low.

It got a lot of discussion just a couple of weeks ago…

2 Likes

At least may be someone, who has real knowledge on this, can give an explanation about closing of Development Hell. Cosmetics and transmogs are not big part of game but it is important for some players.

1 Like

Nice catch there. I believe this was the case as well…

Good idea. They shouldn’t have removed them, put them into something else

1 Like

I did near 150 runs in s25 and it didn’t spawn once. Previously, on many attempts, it has spawned consistently between 30 and 40 runs for me. I have found this dungeon around 10 or so times over the past 6 years. I like finding things, so sometimes, I just get silly and do these farming runs over and over just for the fun of the dungeon spawning. I already have the xmogs (I have all of the xmogs, including the Blues).

It is low, from my experiences 2.5-3%.

1% is way too low based on my extensive experiences.

Yes, can 100% confirm that it spawns in adventure mode. I think MC is thinking of Griswald’s edge (sword) which ONLY spawns in campaign mode. That’s around 1/1000 chance of dropping (still not as rare as Wirt’s leg).

I could do more runs to test my theory, but I do suspect that it has been removed from the game. I wondered about this, but never posted about it.

2 Likes

As a developer meself, I am happy we finally got rid of development hell! :smiley:

Developer hell is a nice thing in the game. I hope it is still there. Did see it few times in the far past.

2 Likes

So that is why I did not find the entrance even after the ~300 runs of specifically looking for it I did about 2 months ago?!

yea is closed once i saw it as marks in the minimap but in the game it was not open I thought it was a bug but now it makes sense

Try this:

1. Join community “Achievement Hunters”
  2. Wait for next season to start so people are actually playing
  3. Politely ask if anyone has the swords and will share the transmogs
  4. Win

The community is a very cool community with a lot of nice people. I would wager someone has rat packed them in their stash and if you catch them, you can still get the transmogs. I will check later, but I am pretty sure I no longer have them as stash is limited, but I do know a lot of collectors who keep unique stuff like this, so I would wager your chances will be very good at the start of the season.

1 Like

I have in non-season. I am sking for season. There is no open gate on season (actually last 2 season it was closed). If you find please let us know.

1 Like