[2.6.10 PTR] Wizard Feedback

Hello fellow Wizards! :mage: Feel free to comment here with feedback on the various [2.6.10 PTR] Wizard changes.

I’ll submit my own feedback below, and edit upon providing seasonal specific feedback next week. Linking: Solo Push feedback. Feedback on Speeds and Clones are now also included below.

I will try to preface with Like, Issue, or Recommendation where applicable to organize my thoughts. Click the details arrows to toggle at any time. This feedback will be split into sections.

Good Change / Appreciation
  • I appreciate the wizard class is seeing changes.
  • I’m excited to have more than just one somewhat competitive option for Wizard next season.
  • Like: +5 pickup radius. Especially nice for LoD builds that have less number of secondaries available.
  • Like: 4th cube seasonal bonus! Yes!

Issues with Changes

There exist many issues with [2.6.10 PTR] Wizard changes which boil down to a few shared concepts. For this reason, I will discuss these now.

#1. Multiplier placement on items that are tied to skills that already have a skill multiplier weapon available.

Issue: Takes up a weapon slot. This kills diversity, the opportunity to hybrid, and player choice all in one stroke.

In the case of Wizardspike and Valthek’s, the effects offered are either limited by ICD/no AD proc or affect the skill in a way that is detrimental to DPS.

Why can’t these new multipliers simply be moved to their pre-existing skillbound multiplier weapons?

Valthek’s (PTR) multplier should be included on Twisted sword.
Ranslor’s Folly Bracer multiplier should also be included on Twisted sword.

Energy Twister damage is increased by 150% for each Energy Twister you have out, up to a maximum of 5.
Energy Twister’s damage is also increased by 1900%.

Wizardspike’s (PTR) multiplier should be included on Unstable Scepter.

The damage of Arcane Orb is increased by 1700%-2375% and it’s explosion triggers an additional time.

This way, any new weapons added that modify the skills, can be taken or opted for because of their legendary powers, not because of multiplier.

For example:

I think players might be tempted to equip this over, say, Furnace, Aether Walker, or Echoing Fury. It modifies the skill in such a way that is valuable.

On the flip side, it also keeps items like Furnace, Aether Walker, or Echoing Fury as reasonably competitive options.

This will allow more (similarly appealing, competitive) weapon legendary affixes to be added to differing weapons in the future, that will all be available as options for the same skill.

#2. Channeling. Etched Sigil (PTR) was changed to be specific to Energy Twister.

Just because we were bored of channeling for seasons on end, doesn’t mean we don’t also enjoy channeling builds.

Etched Sigil is currently one of the most exciting, interactive items for Wizard. This change destroys that excitement, that ‘next level’ of gameplay that the effect can provide. Why destroy such an successful, engaging, interesting item?

Builds like EB and Meteor channeling; These are prime examples of builds that I love, that will no longer exist.

Deathwish is the biggest issue with channeling. We can easily reduce the multiplier on Etched sigil without changing it from it’s [2.6.9] form; but Deathwish having such a huge multiplier, and always taking up such a valuable weapon slot, is a large issue.

Recommendation: Deathwish’s multiplier needs to be removed completely, for the health of the Wizard class.

#3. Mobility.

Issues: Wizard, and non-archon Wizard in particular has issues:

• Teleport’s Cooldown is too high.
  • We can’t enable multiple charges for teleport such as with Necro’s blood rush or Monk’s Dash.

Higher pushing builds (meta focused builds) often drop teleport because it is so unappealing from a DPS viewpoint. This is how bad it is.

Issue: Movement speed.

• The amount from Movement speed skills and abilities is too low, especially compared to other classes.
  • The capability to fit in movement speed options (ex: Illusioinist, Sleek Shell, Scramble) is difficult, due to skill requirements elsewhere.
  • No item specific or set based movement speed

Recommendation: Add more options for movement speed. Increase values on current options. Include movement speed on some 4 set bonuses. Recommendation: Reducing (Halving?) the cooldown on Slow time and Diamond skin to 7s would also go a long way to enabling mobility.

Issue: Aether Walker. This is a significant increase to mobility, but again, is locked behind a weapon slot, which most often competes with offensive minded bonuses. This makes it very difficult to fit into any Speed GR XP optimized builds, or Solo Pushing builds.

No recommendations on this one, though other Wizards have suggested various fixes. EDIT (10/4/2020): linking feedback from Lexa on Teleport from balance mega thread.

Item and Skill Changes

Fragment of Destiny (PTR):

Like: Now increases speed of all signature skills. Amazing! More options! Signatures other than Spectral blade can now compete in signature/generator based builds. This also allows dual signature builds to exist in the future. Love it.

Like: Stacks for ‘Spectral buff’ are acquired on a per speed coefficient, per target hit basis. Duration of the ‘Spectral buff’ is a rather short 6s duration, but this at least makes it easier to re-stack if stacks drop.

Like: ‘Spectral buff’ is dynamic with Hydra.

Issue: Fragment of Destiny has historically been Signature/Generator focused. I am disappointed that Signature skills aren’t getting more multiplier.

Recommendation: Increase the multiplier for signature spells to make them competitive with other builds.

Issue: The ‘Spectral buff’ portion of this legendary power is a very restrictive playstyle mechanic. Placing it on a required Hydra legendary forces Hydra players into that playstyle. Limits player options.

Sets are generally a better place to force players into specific playstyles, since players can always fall back to LoD if they don’t like those set requirements.

Recommendation: add this Spectral stacking mechanic into Typhon’s Veil instead. Rebalance TV multiplier as required.

Recommendation: if the intent is to give Hydra another 300% multiplier, merge this with Serpent’s Sparker instead.

You may have one extra Hydra at a time and they deal 1500% increased damage

Issue: If the intent is to encourage Hybrid builds by mingling Signatures and Hydra on the same item, this is not the way to go about it.

Recommendation: Other than the above recommendations, Hybrids favor:

• More slots available to itemize.
  • DPS increasing items that boost damage of multiple skills or elements are very appealing.
  • Better DPS balance between differing skills.

Winter Flurry (PTR):

Issue: Blizzard on this item doesn’t do anything but debuff enemies for Hydra. It’s an annoying maintenance buff, and blizzard doesn’t have any synergy with Hydra, aside from possibly helping with Pain enhancer stacks.

Recommendations: A few suggestions linked below.

Issue: both the Frost Nova procs from Magistrate and Winter Flurry (PTR) do not assume the rune of Frost nova that is placed on the skillbar or given by items.

Recommendation: Fix so that these can benefit from the rune on the skillbar, or FN runes granted by items.

Issue: Winter Flurry (PTR) still rolls with defaulted Cold% affix.

Issue: Winter Flurry (PTR) is limited to one skill (Blizzard), but still rolls affixes for all other skill%.

Both of these points combined make it terribly difficult to find a good ancient or primal source with proper affixes. ESPECIALLY when you tack on a legendary power that has a range on top.

Recommendation: Remove the default cold affix, default to CHC instead.

Wizardspike (PTR):

Issue: Multiplier.

Recommendation: Wizardspike’s (PTR) multiplier should be included on Unstable Scepter.

The damage of Arcane Orb is increased by 1700%-2375% and it’s explosion triggers an additional time.

Issue: The 2 second ICD is very restrictive, and the fact that it can’t proc Area damage both make this power very unappealing.

Like: I appreciate that Wizardspike (PTR) does similar damage to Wizard-cast Frozen orbs now; and that it isn’t bound by proc coefficients.

Issue: It’s still worse than the [2.6.9] Etched Sigil-cast proc was.

Recommendation: Replace with a more appealing legendary power, such as the radius increase to arcane orb mentioned above.

If you want to keep this legendary power, you can either merge it into Unstable Scepter (definitely fits the theme of ‘unstable’),

Or rework it, to make it more appealing and place on a different weapon (no multiplier!).

Energy Twister (PTR):

Issue: Changing the base tick interval multiplier from 2 to 1 makes the skill feel terrible to play in nephalem rifting and speeds. Damage instances often simply don’t occur before the twister has moved out of range of your target in a lot of cases.

I understand this is in an effort to reduce latency in other scenarios; but I feel it hampers the responsiveness of the skill, and impairs the capability of Twister in a solo speed setting.

Valthek’s Rebuke (PTR):

Issue: Multiplier.

Recommendation: Valthek’s (PTR) multplier should be included on Twisted sword. Ranslor’s Bracer multiplier should also be included on Twisted sword.

Energy Twister damage is increased by 150% for each Energy Twister you have out, up to a maximum of 5.
Energy Twister’s damage is also increased by 1900%.

Issue: Twisters moving in a straight line impair DPS for Twister builds. Twister is a damage over time build, where stacked instances of the same skill can deal more damage to a target over time. Equipping an item that sends your twisters away rather than giving them a chance to congregate or overlap is therefore hugely detrimental to the build.

Recommendation: Replace this legendary power with something different. Two fairly good suggestions I heard from the podcast Danctuary were: “gives the Wicked Wind rune.” and “Mega Twister that builds per twister cast into”.

Etched Sigil (PTR):

Issue: Lost many builds in redesign. Redesign limits build options, and kills off old favorites.

Recommendation: Revert change. Adjust Etched Sigil’s multiplier down, if required, to reduce the benefit channeled spenders receive.

Round1 Playstyle Evaluation and Initial Testing Thoughts

Preface: I haven’t been able to properly test most wizard builds, because our multipliers are now positioned on items that take weapon slots; what this usually leads to in a solo speed or push situation is that the wizard either progresses too slowly through the rift, or doesn’t have the toughness needed for the build to work.

That said, I did my best to ‘get a feel’ for the differing playstyles, sometimes sacrificing a multiplier and running at a lower GR, to guage levels.

I was able to clear 4-5 minute GR109’s (~2kp/18k INT) with both a Typhon’s Veil Frost Hydra build (dropped WF for OID in testing), and a DMO Frozen orb build (dropped AW for testing). With a 4th cube slot, I expect to clear these same levels in ~3-4m.

Hydra: Multiplier increases feel really good; Tested both LoD and TV. From a casual perspective, TV is now more appealing than LoD. I am excited to play TV in solo speed at some point. However, because LoD still offers both more toughness, and multiplier with Deathwish and the Mammoth rune, this will still be the preferred meta configuration in seasonal.

Frozen Orb: Multiplier increase feels sizeable; respectable; feels good. However, without a 4th cube, could not use Aether Walker or OID, meaning it was extremely squishy, and immobile. Nonetheless, I am excited to play Frozen orb next season, in either a DMO or Vyr reverse-archon (likely offmeta) configuration for solo push, and in an LoD configuration for Nephalem Rifting.

Energy Twister: Feels unbelievably weak, less responsive, probably due to the tick rate changes and the fact that the intra-PTR buffs are still extremely lacking. Plus the fact that Wicked wind is the only rune that stacks Twister reliably, and yet, is the weakest rune. No reason that this value can’t be increased. N.B.: Raging Storm is still preferred for push, Valthek’s makes even more difficult to manage though.

I actually prefer non-channeled Twister to channeled Twister. One of the few channeling builds (+FO) that feel disjointed to me.

4 weapons, 3 slots; what’s to say. Non-seasonal cannot fit all the weapons. On seasonal, there’s very little choice in the build.

Speed GR Testing Feedback
Solo Push Feedback (Link)
LoD Cold Twister (Second/Third Round Feedback)
Shadow Clones Feedback

Issue: Shadow clones impact builds that use Obsidian Ring of The Zodiac very negatively; Vyr Chantodo has many build variations using Zodiac that require you have targets to channel a spender on to both reset archon, and gain Chantodo stacks for damage.

When the clone spawns in Nepalems and Lower end Speed GRs, and one shots all the trash around, and your archon ends, you’re just stuck there, running at possibly 25% movespeed until you reach another target, hoping to hit it before your clone notices it’s there too.

This is a negative interaction for certain, especially for builds that run without a teleport.

While we have In-Geom and Crimson’s to work with to avoid this in nephalem rifting, for the lower end Speed GRs especially, Zodiac is the most optimal in my mind.

Note: In testing: speed GRs of GR104-109+ didn’t have as much of an issue with clones instantly killing mobs. Usually, there was enough time to reset archon via Zodiac. The issue in GRs appears more near the lower end (sub 90), where the Wizard is one-shotting most trash.

Suggestion: Allow the player to turn off shadow clones after they enter a game, or perhaps as a configuration setting.

Aside from this, my general Feedback on the shadow clones is that they feel like they impact Nephalem and Speed Rifting quite a bit, dealing quite a bit of damage at GRs lower than ~GR115. Damage is high enough to destroy the RG or elite packs that spawn via Nems at these levels in some cases.

However, very little to no impact with dps on Solo Pushing. While it would be nice to have more impact there, I’m of the opinion that one shotting RGs in 130+ is not as fun to Fish for (feels great when getting lucky though, doesn’t it?).

I’m not sure if this is by design, but I’ll prefer favoring speeds in power over favoring Pushes, seeing as Speeds are what we do ~80%+ of our game time in D3.

My biggest issue with the clones is that they don’t really have any interactivity. The pylons are random, and this does put more of an emphasis on pylon management, but it doesn’t really encourage the player to interact or change their build in any way.

Seeing as we’re past the point where changing up a build from the environmental theme would be recommended;

Other Suggestions:

• Change Shadow Clones to copy our main skills and abilities, similar to how Monk’s Rabid Strike works.

Most interactive and fun, hands down. Also the most work to implement, so… unlikely to happen.

• Changing the clones to be directed by the player, similar to how command skeletons is for necromancer. A dedicated action key for this would be great.

This suggestion would be more player management intensive; but would allow more player agency with what their clone attacks.

• Shadow clones bless us with a random boon: 50% multiplier, 50% CDR, or 50% RCR. Lasts 1 minute.

A la Triune, but without the circles, at a lower benefit.

• Give us a buff when clicking a pylon that tapers off over time. Something like 30% multiplier, 30% DR, and 30% elite damage, that lowers by 1% multiplier/DR/elite damage every 1s that elapse; lasts 30s total.

Would change the scaling of the rift ever so slightly, you’d get these little spikes in damage that might feel really nice.

My thoughts from the S22 Wizard Update Balance Mega Thread by Bossdog (a good thread for suggestions, btw):

I’ll also reference the Wizard Patch [2.6.10] changes thread. More than a few suggestions also being made over there.

Thank you.

44 Likes

Excellent write up!
The only thing I would strongly disagree with is the recommendation to remove Deathwish’s damage modifier. Instead it can be changed to affect only channeling skills; the same can be done with etched sigil’s damage modifier.

9 Likes

Very nice write up I hope this gets attention. I have been posting about signature spells since they announced the change with fragment of destiny, I believe adding multipliers to the existing legendary items that are tied to signature spells examples the shame of delsere- signature spells cast 50% faster and do 300-400% damage, mirrorball magic missile fires 3-4 more extra missles and gaines 400% damage these are just 2 examples alsoadding signature spells to typhon’s 6pc bonus would go along way into making that set more appealing.

2 Likes

Well the deathwish damage should be leaved in there for me too, and I agree with the twisters build also will have to agree that is harder to play with Valthaeks due the straight and the buff to be inputed there all in the twisted sword I think they should buff all the items that they’re sending out why not they’re giving 500% on bombardments items and the crusaders are doing 150 gr solo so I think to be fare they could increse the buffs into the new items and maybe lower down the percentage on the sets so we can still playing with ours cool primals on the legacy of the nightmare gem.

Well everyone knows the sader will get nerfed. Not sure by how much as they tend to use a sledgehammer a lot of the times but they will nerf it. The GR’s don’t meant anything on PTR, it’s about seeing how strong or weak the new changes make things.

Wizards got put together like Picasso and nuked multiple builds at the same time. I’m sure they will try and fix it somehow for something before the patch goes live.

If they only listen to one piece of feedback, I hope it’s this:

An unfortunate side effect of this change (since it’s not retroactive) is that legacy Etched Sigil will be BiS for many fun builds. Not ideal at all…

The worst part is…it’s completely unnecessary. What are the top performing Wiz builds? Vyrtodo and LoD Hydra? And neither is overperforming, so why not just buff other playstyles up to that level?

11 Likes

I was trying DMO twister yesterday and was really ugly. They broke DMO mechanics with the channeling. I always remember when Bubble was the damage dealer and how fun this playstyle was. Maybe they can bring back that to make delsere fun again.

3 Likes

You, don’t jinx it!

This not being retroactive is the last ray of hope I have for my wizard in non seasonal which is my preferred mode anyways.

@Cratic:
Very good read, and though I do not agree on everything, I can nod at the things you took issues with and most suggestions you made would be fine with me.

Removing DW completely is not, though - unless you mean “limit the buff to channeling skills”. But as already mentioned elsewhere. That alone wouldn’t do us good, since our channeling skills are weak and flawed by design.

6 Likes

This seems like a more intensive rework of D3’s itemization, not just for the Wizard, but also for other classes.

Not sure if they are going to do this.

But I do like the idea that a legendary could increase the AoE Explosion of Arcane Orb, although I am not sure how much development time and effort this would cost.

And on a sidenote, I would like that the Obliteration rune on Arcane Orb would actually increase the Detonation Radius instead of shrinking it.

Etched Sigil is one of my TOP 3 items in the game, however, I can understand that due to the way itemization in D3 is designed, it creates issues.

I thought that one solution to this could be to remove the 600% +900% damage bonuses to Meteor from the Nilfur’s Boast boots and put them on Tal Rasha set instead in one way or another. Meteor Channelling is just too powerful compared to other channelling builds and proced skills.

This idea is not fully fleshed out, but it might work.
Tell me what you think about it.

But something needs to be done to nerf Meteor Channelling.

2 Charges on the Base Skill of Teleport and a 3rd one via the Wormhole Rune would give much more flexible and better mobility.

I see it very differently.

I think it is great that your Primary Skills buff something, but what I don’t like is that it only buffs Hydra.

It could buff everything instead. It has a great potential to be one of the Wizards more generically useful items, which is something that all classes lack. At elast if it doesn’t create too man balancing issues.

That would be better, I agree.
That would be like 1200% Hydra Damage, though, which is quite a lot…

I like that Blizzard now also becomes useful with Winter Flurry, but I don’t like that it is only specific to Hydra.

If it again would buff all your damage to enemies under the Blizzard and not just Hydra, then it would be a great item.

They could remove a lot more Internal Cooldowns, not just on Wizardspike, but also on items like Ess of Johan.

150% * 7.5 * 1900% = 14.250%

This would not be a legendary, but rather a set that is masquerading as a legendary.

This is just too much for one item.

Even if they would revert Etched Sigil, you still could put Death Wish or This one here in the cube and equip the other one and then use a Channeling Skill to proc the Twisters with an additional 10 times multipler (DW+ES) and then a set on top of that as well.

This is just waaaay too much for one item.

But otherwise good feedback.

1 Like

AW is a bloody eyesore. The only time you use this is when your character is strong enough to swap out an otherwise required item for a build for the AW in order to keep up with speedfarming for key or doing bounties.

If they just fixed the spell itself, i.o.w. able to stack (to 3 like Dash from the Monk) and smaller cooldown and this thing could and should be outright removed from the game.

I don’t see much of a solution because as you pointed out we have almost no skills that affact movement and the few that do often clash with the build you’re running. That would mean you’d have to slap them on more skills but it looks silly for instance to put 20% movement on for instance Hydra. Or you have to tack them to a set, but it also feels wrong to give every Wizard set movement speed, but that’s just my feeling.

I see also nothing in a set based for movement speed. It would be a gimmick at best as it wouldn’t solve the problem where you’re pushing. And an item is what we have, but it’s not the way to fix the problem. You’d need a god tier item in order for people to equip it over the item that’s BIS now. Let them just fix the damn spell.

Honestly, I’d rather wish there wasn’t any movement speed in the game even if was at the expense of teleport.

with the etched sigil change to twister only is breaking all the meteors builds. twister having too many items that provide buffs. there is a lot of people who finds the meteors build to be fun and challenging. to me the starpact was the most enjoyable time in d3 it encourage team work. with all the change recently dumbing down the game is very sad to see. i understand that integration for cross platform might be the goal for the change but. it seems the games target audience has been changed to more of a grinding style. it would be nice both audience can coexist together. but the changes in season 22 seems very unlikely.

2 Likes

I read through the feedback thus far. All good points. If there is a time to voice your opinion, even if that’s to disagree with my views, the time is now.

On that point, my background: I’m not as hardcore or meta bound of a player as some, but I definitely play and push more than a lot of players I think. I typically play solo, SSF more recently. Though I have some group experience. I enjoy testing mechanics, builds that have great item and skill synergy usually appeal to me more.

@Oblivion, @Lexa: On Deathwish, I feel the item simply takes up too much room. A redundant multiplier. Having to place two items rather than one to opt into a channeling playstyle seems like too many to me. I can see the appeal of just restricting it to spenders or channeled spenders though.

On concern for legendary multipliers being ‘too high’: It’s just a number. This can be adjusted up or down as required. There does come a point where too many multipliers make skill weapon damage (base character power) sort of feeble in comparison, but with d3, we’re already past that point.

As an aside: there are many skills that could really use some rune weapon damage% rebalances.

@Fangskin: I also agree, Vyr Chantodo feels slightly behind. The nerf may not have been needed, considering that other class builds were balanced to a different level.

@Lexa, I’ve linked your feedback for Aether walker and Teleport in the OP, seeing as I had none.

@clueso: Fair point on the intensive rework required for providing more interesting legendary effects. Perhaps this is something that easier solutions can be found by the design and dev teams that still have impact. Was more trying to give an example.

Keep the feedback coming. I’ll try to not respond as much. I feel like I’m overbearing when I do :blush: :worried:.

3 Likes

100% this. I dare to say that this thing is easily one of the biggest misdeeds to the class they ever made. Which is why…

I appreciate this. Thank you! I had also modified my Oculus idea from that topic after you pointed out it was too weak. Might still not cut it, but it should come closer now.

The suggestion to change deathwish and etched sigil to work with only channeling skills isn’t just to break wizard’s dependence on the weapon pair, but also to get a footing into allowing viable builds that utilize the channeling skills as the primary damage dealer.

If following is done:

• Deathwish and Etched sigil were changed and buffed so that they work only for the channeling skills
  • Slorak’s Madness, a disintegrate item, was buffed,
  • Light of Grace, a ray of frost item, was also buffed
  • arcane torrent is given an item that buffs it

That would ensure that the wizard’s three channeling skills each had 3 support legendaries (well 4 if you count mantle of channeling), which is a reasonable number imo for skills that serve as the primary damage dealer in a build.

Strongly agree, arcane orb definitely comes to mind on that nearly all of it’s runes are greatly weaker in comparison to Frozen Orb. Would love for a viable build that uses Scorch.

I believe that they should revert the chantodo nerf, then add an additional effect to it that lowers the wizards damage (except for chantodo’s waves of destruction) for each wave of destruction stack while in archon form. Afterward they can then directly buff the archon skills via the vyr 6 piece bonus.

Thank you for responding thus far.

5 Likes

thanks for taking the time to write this down.
I agree with alot of the points and hope that some of the more important issues (Etched Sigil & Winter Flurry change or DMO Twister mechanic) will be taken into consideration before the PTR ends.

You are forgetting Hergbrash, so make that 4. That’s actually a whole lot and the skills themselves are still underwhelming. What this tells me is that channeling skills are actually in a very bad state. Etched Sigil covers for this. Take that out of the picture and Channeling skills are on the level of Shock Pulse… they reduce mobility, they have low damage on their own, they don’t deal full damage but ramp up first and their cost/benefit ratio is horrible enough to warrant an item like Hergbrash. That is, if you actually wabt to use them for anything beyond Chantodo stacks. Damage wise they are crap. Harsh, but true.

Yet they could be interesting if we do some necessary things. First of all, Cratic has a point, but removing Deathwish and lowering Etched Sigil’s affix, that’s overkill. You’d be way better off using some LoD Electrocute build then. No cast cost, higher damage better support items… and that’s rich given how outdated Camaral and Mykens actually are. That’s not really something I would like to see.

But let’s say we remove Deathwish and Etched Sigil from the picture. Then we reduce the damage of channeling skills by way over 90%. That equals to killing them completely as a dps source. If anything they need to do even more damage than they do now. And it should be a playstyle different from what we have today. Just some thoughts to give you an impression of what they could do:

First of all, it’s high time to add the channeling skills to DMO. Especially if they really are gung-ho to make Etched Sigil a Twister item (urg). There is NO FREAKING REASON to not do this any more. Nada. Then we’d have at least a set.

Channeling and DMO can work fine, if something like an autobubble is introduced that pops up when you start to channel. You could also do some really nasty stuff like this:

While channeling Arcane Torrent, Disintegrate or Ray of Frost you automatically cast a Slow Time bubble at your location and when your channeling skills hits an enemy, all enemies inside your Slow Time bubbles are hit simultaniously.

Or something for Disintegrate - you might think this is nut and unrealistic, but well - how about:

Disintegrate deals 500-600% more damage and gains the Chaos Nexus and Entropy rune effects. Entropy’s area of effect now covers 360° and you move to your target while channeling. Chaos Nexus beams deal full Disintegrate damage and are also fired from enemies hit by you.

Heck, there are so many ideas that could be done… if they had the balls to spend some time.

4 Likes

I can’t upvote this enough.

I understand the need for changing the channeling meta, but there HAS to be a better way to do it. This is just a kick in the nuts.

Why completely kill some longstanding builds that are fun to play? Tal’s and LoD Meteor Shower aren’t top builds, but they are viable. And there are a TON of players who play those builds. Because it’s fun. Yes, Star Pact was a problem. And channeling with hydras just seems weird. But I think you can address those issues without killing some existing builds in the process.

I hate this Etched Sigil change. I really can’t express this enough.

EDIT: And if you think it’s really necessary to remove all spenders from Etched Sigil, at least throw manual cast meteors a bone. Some kind of viable replacement weapon combo. Same for Explosive Blast. I’m really dissatisfied with where this Etched Sigil change leaves Meteors and Explosive Blast.

7 Likes

Yup, it’s really weird how it is now. While not every Hydra build should be boosted by channeling, I can still see potential for it that wouldn’t be weird. What if, by some mechanic, Hydra Heads can channel your attacks while you do. Then, you and ten Frost Hydra heads channeling 11 beams at your target… now we are talking. That would be a reason to Channel Hydra I can support. As it’s now, it just feels really sick.

There already is a speed boost from casting Time Warp Bubbles. Extend that time to 30 seconds, that would be the simple route…
P.S. There is no way around Death wish and Etched Sigil as a pair since BOTH of them are channeling. The only set that can benefit Sigil now is DMO. Channeling Twisters while having to hit them inside the bubble is a very sloppy tactic, you’re going to have to bubble the whole area to make sure your tornado’s hit (imo). The only way out of that is the stationary one/

1 Like

The reduced mobility can be handled if they improve teleport. That’s probably been long overdue. Also I didn’t count Hergbrash, because if the 3 skills received the buffs that I detailed above, then adding a damage modifier to Hergbrash may not be necessary. But If it does receive a damage boost, then it could be something like:

Hergbrash’s Binding:

At maximum ramp up, Arcane Torrent, Ray of Frost, and Disintegrate damage applies twice per tick. Reduces the Arcane Power cost of Arcane Torrent, Disintegrate, and Ray of Frost by 50-65%.”

That along with my idea of Deathwish would make for a powerful combo:

Death Wish :
Arcane Torrent, Ray of Frost, and Disintegrate now deal their maximum ramped damage. Arcane Torrent, Ray of Frost, Disintegrate, and Disintegration Wave all deal 300-400% more damage.