I’m waiting on their official statement about 21:9 resolutions to decide if I’m going to refund or not.
Below is a compilation of arguments I’ve read so far. Feel free to add, I will update the list.
Allow 21:9 aspect ratio
- It’s a 2021 pc game release, 21:9 support is expected
- The majority of modern games supports these resolutions, including more competitive games (Wow, HOTS, etc) and games similar to Diablo 2 (D3, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, Torchlight 3, etc etc), no complains were registered on those games
- The game is still rendered behind the black bars, wasting resources
- Originally the game was meant to be played in 4:3, allowing 16:9 but not 21:9 feels an arbitrary decision
- Improved visuals and immersion are the main selling point of this remake
- The game ran great and looked gorgeous in 21:9 Alpha
- PC gaming relies on it’s open nature, supporting different hardwares and pushing forward innovation
- Makes the game visuals future proof as more people migrate to 21:9 resolutions
- Pvp represents a fraction of the game
- The game is being sold and advertised with support for modern screen resolutions
Force 16:9 aspect ratio
- Using 21:9 aspect ratio, with carefully positioning players using ranged abilities can actually see the monster AI behavior when a 16:9 offscreen attack connects
- 21:9 allows players to see and target things further. Makes it possible to kill things earlier, or things that normally would be killed offscreen. Allows more vision in-game. If some people dont have it, everyone shouldn’t have it
- Affects pvp
- 21:9 is a minority
I’m waiting on their stance. I can understand it affects multiplayer, especially pvp. But it feels really bad to have my singleplayer experience and the entire game affected like this. I feel this needs to be properly addressed.
Edit: Blizzard commented on the matter. An interesting note, they did not mention single player. Their full response:
If you don’t like blocks of texts, here are their reasons:
- Players using 21:9 can pull many more monsters into battle, beyond the original game’s intention
- The AI fails to sense players and trigger attacks
- Players with 21:9 monitors could hit enemies, but the monsters would not pull or react, but could still be defeated.
- the AI doesn’t register getting hit from that additional distance
I’m curious to see how many more monsters players pull into into battle, beyond the game’s original intention, with a 21:9 monitor versus 16:9 offscreen attacks. This will need testing. The same goes for the AI not registering hits on 21:9, but working properly with 16:9 offscreen attacks.
Overall, I’m done. This will be my last update here. Peace all.