How to allow ultrawide support

After discussing it back and forth for days, I think we’ve made some valid points.

• Make an option to toggle 21:9 support upon creating game
  • Find a solution so spells are not cast beyond 16:9
  • Allow ultrawide users to see on 21:9 because ruining that already messes with game’s visual experience on 21:9
  • Don’t allow targeting something beyond 16:9 but make it so that if you click on 21:9 area, your character still walks there, for the whole thing to feel natural.

If you want to pvp in 16:9 you can just uncheck 21:9 support in toggle box so any incoming user with 21:9 would have black bars.
Ultrawide users wouldn’t have teleport range advantage because you wouldn’t be able to cast teleport beyond 16:9, even in 21:9 game.

Ultrawide users wouldn’t have to acknowledge those big black bars on their screens and everyone would be happy.

8 Likes

I do want UW, but it looks like it has to be all or nothing.

• Make an option to toggle 21:9 support upon creating game

Not an option, would fracture playerbase. Everyone has to play together no matter what. Population isn’t high enough.

• Find a solution so spells are not cast beyond 16:9,
    Don’t allow targeting something beyond 16:9 but make it so that if you click on 21:9 area, your character still walks there, for the whole thing to feel natural.

Takes a lot more development time than you think to implement something like this and if devs could do it feasibly, they would’ve.

Actually, the game would be way more annoying if you had an invisible line in your game where you couldn’t cast spells/click on. UW users would soon realize black bars are better than constantly error clicking too far to the right/left.

It’s a good attempt, but Blizzard has to just pick one side or the other.

2 Likes

D2R was on 3rd place on twitch during first beta day, this game is long waited by so many,
I think player base is big enough.
Also I mean you could still join 21:9 game and we could play together, it’s rather an option for players with 16:9 who don’t want anyone with 21:9 joining them.

Actually many games have it like that, I can name Albion Online from from top of my head atm, it’s more about getting used to it. And if they wouldn’t enjoy it then they don’t have to toggle 21:9 when creating :wink:

Yeah, might be, but currently game is rendering under those black bars anyway so, maybe might still be possible :smiley:

1 Like

Actually, implementing a range limit is as trivial as it gets.

I also see the fragmentation problem with the checkbox on game creation. I’d favor the solution to only enable it if pvp flagged. The black bars would have to be true letterboxing though, not just an overlay (way too easy to hack).

2 Likes

Yeah, I feel you man.
I wanted this also but having a wider screen advantage got big lash back from community playing with 16:9 monitors so I’m trying to think of a solution that would please more people.

This :point_up_2:
And that’s 20c…

3 Likes

Simple system

Player A invades player B’s game.

Player A must flag themselves for PVP in a safe area like a town. Player B gets a notification that player A has flagged themselves for pvp. So they can either prepare to defend or just go to town/remake their game.

Player B can then be killed by player A even if they haven’t “flagged” themselves for pvp.

If player A who invaded player B’s game is on an ultrawide monitor, when they flag themselves they get black bars. If player B who is being invaded has an ultrawide monitor they keep full field of vision.

This puts player A at a disadvantage for invading and trying to PK in a public game.

If two players want a fair pvp duel, they can both flag themselves in town. This would then give both players black bars (assuming both are on UW)

This keeps legit pvp dualing “fair” but penalizes dicks who want to invade and PK other players. But allows those who just want to pvm in peace on full UW resolution.

Besides these scenarios, UW is completely unlocked. No black bars.

For those concerned about PVE, I played your “OMG YOU CAN OFF SCREEN MONSTERS” style and it took me 2 hours to get to the den just off screening monsters. So, sure its a strategy that can be implemented to be “safe” but it takes SO LONG that it’s worthless.

2 Likes

Also about this offscreening monster ppl used to this that monster have some agro range, we dont need to look far as skiping packs in WoW dungeons is totaly normal, and monster dont agro if u stay in some absurd vision range like 5 meters of them.

As you can see in the beta, then you get nothing.

Ok, so to cut a long story short, you will only be happy,if you get exactly what you want and you don’t give a damn about a compromise and also not about PvP, which has kept this game alive over 20 years and is the only reason, why Blizzard even thinks, a D2 remaster is worth it.

Nice opinion, I recommend getting a new one.

They already limited teleport on consoles afaik. I doubt, that this is more than one line of code.

No, you have to do it, such that the skill still gets casted, but only within the 16:9 range, if it is a skill, that does have a range, like teleport, corpse explode etc. All skills with a travelling time, like fireball, would still function normally, except, that you can’t target anything beyond 16:9, as IwillSnipe already said.

Not in general though. Fireballs ofc still need to have the old travelling range and teleport for example has to be capped at the 16:9 border, but only if no namelocking is used.

Besides that, I agree with you.

Agree with this

:+1:

1 Like

Ok, so to cut a long story short, you will only be happy,if you get exactly what you want and you don’t give a damn about a compromise and also not about PvP, which has kept this game alive over 20 years and is the only reason, why Blizzard even thinks, a D2 remaster is worth it.

Ignorance is bliss I guess. First, a compromise is fine, I just don’t think they would do it.

Second, this game hasn’t been alive since 1.09. Just because diehard fans played it between that time and now doesn’t mean that’s the reason we have a remaster. WC3 was only played by a few and they “reforged” it. They are remaking these games because that is the pervasive trend in the industry right now and they are trying to milk their IPs for all their worth. People loved the original games and the games were the best of their respective times. Blizzard is trying to recapture that success.

The vast majority of people buying the game are non post 1.09 players (They are either original players or brand new). Did you even play 1.09 and before?

In the same vein, the majority of players that will continue to play and support the game because they love it so much are post 1.09 players ( I think you may fall into this category). They liked the game when it was very unpopular and they will continue to enjoy it in the resurgence. People that fall outside this group are more critical of the game, that’s the nature of it.

Nice opinion, I recommend getting a new one.

I recommend getting educated on the topic before giving me your emotional take.

It does. There were always games in the D2 Bnet list. It was always played. Why do you think, they remaster D2 and not D1? D2 is still actively played.

Only very few of these people are speedrunners, some are casuals, hopping on and off, like I did, but the majority of people, who constantly played this game are PvPers. It’s not very surprising, considerung the fact, that the PvM endgame is running bosses and making new chars.

I think so… at least I didn’t have any respecs in my first playthroughs. So if 1.09 was the patch, which gave respecs from Akara, then yes.

I can only give that back. Your arguments against the OP’s proposals didn’t seem educated. Actually I can’t see any argument against the proposal in your post.

I think so… at least I didn’t have any respecs in my first playthroughs. So if 1.09 was the patch, which gave respecs from Akara, then yes.

This is all I need to know. You didn’t play 1.09 and before. No respec casual easy mode. You are a new schooler ranting about the game you’ve been hard playing for so many years, funnily, after the heyday ended.

Believe it or not, your opinion is actually the least valuable of all the groups, because you’ll play the game regardless of what happens to it. Everyone else is on the fence, and are actually more objective because they want the best possible game, regardless of the changes.

Now I can safely be done with you. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

It’s a game we’ve all been waiting for and a lot of us have emotional attachment to.

Let’s try to keep this topic about ultrawide monitors, we might actually be getting somewhere.
I hope it’s not for nothing and blizzard people keep an eye on it also :pray: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

The best option in my opinion. Maybe change it to allow all aspect ratios or maybe a toggle for limiting from 32:9, 21:9, 16:9, 4:3. Should be the easiest thing for Blizzard to enable, as the game is already rendering underneath the black bars.

This would let PVP players with 16:9 monitors disable the advantage in their competitive games. Such a button would also let ultrawide users battle each other in pvp without black bars.
Could be alot of fun too, imagine how many 4:3 barbarians it needs to take down one 32:9 sorceress.

It would fracture the player base as little as the “item spacing” button does. The one that lets controller players enjoy the game. Most people are inclusive and won’t care what type of controller or gaming monitors others are using.
If you want to play games that are restricted it should be entirely up to you and should not stop other everyone else from enjoying the game.
Having this toggle button is a good thing for the pvp community too, as it is more future proof and at least some will eventually want to pvp with wider screens.

2 Likes

So how do you now know if I played 1.09? Lol? And what does this have to do with you posting non sense like

This is plain wrong. This whole discussion has nothing to do with my first playthroughs in D2…

You’re just stupid, dude. Delete yourself please.

There needs to be limit because unlimited aspect ratio was that thing that allowed some people to abuse it to extremes and made those map-long teleports etc possible.
Now if teleport range is capped, then surely they would still find a different way to abuse unlimited aspect ratio.

Limiting it to 32:9 would be okay in my opinion because it feel like the “edge” of native resolutions nowadays. Teleport would still have to have fixed into range of 16:9 while playing on 32:9 so we wouldn’t raise run speed problem up again.
Also targeting area should be inside 16:9 so you couldn’t cast blizzard for example comfortably on 32:9, it would feel like having a range limit on some spells.
That might sound uncomfortable at first but a lot games have it this way and it’s rather just matter of getting used to. :slightly_smiling_face:

You are one of the dumbest critters I’ve encountered. Beta means beta dumbass. Nothing is final. They need to take away your internet privileges at your retirement home.

No one is actually this stupid. D2 is not currently alive… When was the last time you played. Every baal game is run by a bot. The only people who stuck around after the botters took over are the two button pvp andys. Also, the reason blizzard thinks it’s worth a remaster has nothing to do with the 20 people who still play the game… Those people will be the only ones playing d2r in a year or two anyways. Blizzard cares about the millions of people who played the game 15 years ago cause they will buy the game again and that’s where the money is. They don’t give af about anything but their bottom line.

Even though you annoy me, I do agree that a compromise is the best solution.

Yeah, but… It wouldn’t be very much fun. If I had the capacity to run this game in 21:9, I would definitely want to teleport at the highest possible range. In fact, it would infuriate me to no end.

Well, they changed teleport already so you can tele until you reach black bar currently so it’s already capped.
But for real though, I get what you mean 100%, I was also totally against this but then I realized that the games I am playing currently, have it like that as well and I haven’t even thought about it.
I mean rather this than black bars or zoomed in view on 21:9 :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like