Black box textures/animations in some acts

Downgrading nvidia drivers from 495.44 back to 470.74 fixed this for me (980 ti) on Linux.

1 Like

On going problem.
This occurs regularly as well with any of the A2 cats, melee or ranged.

Having the same issue on linux with a nvidia 1060 6GB. With the 470.xx driver the issue is gone, but performance in quite a few places is absolutely horrible. (e.g. Act1/Act3 every place with grass/foliage have like 10-20 fps instead of 50-100 I get normally)

I noticed the issue changing (not solving) when changing the Anti-Aliasing mode. “TAA” seems to be the least horrible experience. For now that + changing to legacy graphics is the only bearable solution for me.

I really hope there will be a solution from either blizzard or nvidia soon. If there is anything I can provide (and you guys actually care to fix the issue on your end) I will gladly deliver that.

1 Like

Any soluton to this problem yet?

I am experiencing the exact same issue. Seems it’s not related to your graphic cards/drivers as I’m playing on a laptop with Intel 1135G7 Iris XE.

1 Like

I’m also using Iris, problem still there.

Linux report:
Manjaro Linux here and GTX 1060 6GB:
Problem is HERE with nvidia 495.xxx drivers.
The problem is GONE with Nvidia 470.86 driver.
With AMD RX card + open source drivers = no problem at all.

I try with Steam-Proton, Wine-lutris, with all are the same.
Only workaround with newer drivers, was to disable AA and lower texture quality to MEDIUM and lower, then glitches will gone. All other options does no efect.
With HIGH and above, texture glitches will appear.

I have it too, even worse than the flickering, I do have complete black boxes, where only dropped items are visible. Can’t post pictures in here unfortunately, some areas are just unplayable for me.

Switching to older drivers does not work for me, D2R did not start at all with older drivers. But switching o legacy-view I will try. Since I am using a surface Pro, I was not expecting too much, it’s kind of sad anyway. D3 is running smoothly…

Happening to me as well. I rolled back to NVIDIA GeForce Game Ready 472.12, and it’s much more stable, but crashed again a short while ago. The blz-log.txt file abruptly stops at 2/7 19:57:09.289, and Windows is showing both system and application error events at 19:57:30.

System log:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Application log:

Fault bucket LKD_0x141_Tdr:6_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys_Ampere, type 0
Event Name: LiveKernelEvent

So something killed the driver and it took about 20 seconds to recover.

Starting to think there are two separate things going on (for me, anyway): The texture problem, which the driver rollback seems to have resolved, and then the instant crash problem, which might have been happening occasionally before I rolled back, only I thought it was more of the same thing.

Funny enough the exact same issue seems to happen when emulating on linux wine.
So it seems to be specific to NVIDIA and not windows related.

Big black boxes that flash around:

• Venom Lord
  • Blood Maggot (by far the worst one)
  • A5 Hell Spawn
  • Specific cliffs in A2
  • Dark Familiar while hanging

Haven’t noticed any other problems. Kind of spooky to deal with in hardcore though.

Same issue here, driving me nuts… Sometimes stable, sometimes gives me hell (pun.)

Event viewer shows me error 4101 “Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.”

This only happens in Diablo 2 Resurrected.

I tried;

Reinstall OS (it was new but w/e) - Windows 10
Remove overclock, underclock, add more voltage and do a load of stability tests on the system components (its a new system but regardless)
Install different Nvidia drivers from 471 and up as I read 471 is stable in this thread
Removed all background programs and/or disabled them where possible

Nothing helps.

This seems to be an issue with the graphics overlay over the old D2lod running underneath which causes the graphics driver to go into timeout. The error above points into that direction.

This is something that Blizzard has to sort with Nvidia because so far I see nobody with an AMD card having this type of error where the OS will just restart your graphic card due to lack of response causing the game to CTD.

im still suffering with this issue now as of march 2022, only time i get black boxes is in the throne room act 5, but there is definitely an issue with lightning skills triggering a darkening, like my light radius just lost about 10 yards, i use portal to town, then go back in and everything is light again, very strange

1 Like

Hey, after some abstinence i recently got back into playing D2R.
Like 2 or 3 days ago, the game randomly keeps crashing without an error - described by other players here in the thread. Most of the time, i’ve seen the “black boxes” stuttering on the screen before. Especially when there were many effects like hydras, blizzard and poison nova from my merc were flying around at the same time.

My nvidia driver is up to date with the version 512.15.
Never experienced crashes like this before. :frowning:

Edit: My Rig: Windows 10 Pro
Nvidia Geforce RTX 3080
Driver Version 512.15
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
32 GB RAM
Res: 1920 x 1080. 144 hz

Hi there,

Just to say that I was a tad disappointed right after the 2.4 update a week ago when this inconvenience was still there (albeit in a really reduced form, the squares appeared only one frame long, which is not very nice for people sensitive to epilepsy, but it was not my case so… it was just a bit bothersome).

However, I was glad to notice that, after the update from yesterday, I’m unable to see black square anymore (Act II, IV and the worldstone keep in Act V).

A big thanks for this fix :slight_smile: (at least on my side).

− Chouhartem

My configuration:

• System: Archlinux (5.17.5-arch1-1 I don’t know if it’s relevant), with Lutris and Native Wine (7.7).
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x (on a x570 MoBo)
  • GPU: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT (from Sapphire, blower)
  • Memory: 16 Go @ 3200MHz CAS16
  • Display: 2560x1440 @ 120Hz

Here too. Linux, nvidia driver 510.54. I know earlier versions work, but other things are broken when I use those versions.

Still bugged for me. I have a similar configuration, but with Intel and Nvidia hardware.

Configuration:

• Arch Linux 5.17.1-252-tkg-cfs #1 TKG SMP PREEMPT
  • CPU: 6700k
  • GPU: 1070ti with 510.60.02-1 driver
  • Tested on system Wine 7.7 (native) and lutris-7.2

So ever since the new ladder I’ve noticed Only in Baals throne room as I’m killing waves sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn’t, these black boxes form on the waves and then my game closes, no error, nothing. Is anyone else experiencing this? I play pc Windows 11 3070 Ti…

Yes, still happening to me as well. It seems like the crash isn’t happening anymore? But the artifacting is as rampant as ever.

One thing I noticed recently is, around the point where the game client used to crash, now just the lighting changes–like the screen gets way dimmer (a light source/layer shuts off, or something). I think it’s very specifically about how D2R manages ambient light vs VFX light.

I have these artifacts too

After experiencing this on my EndeavourOS rig with the v495 & v510 drivers, I was hoping that the v515 drivers would finally squash this bug…and of course, it didn’t; maybe even worse now.

1 Like

I have the same issues mainly in A4 (sometimes at start on character screen) on Manjaro.
Amd r5 3600, gtx 2070 super
kernel 5.15 with matching driver
lightdm, i3wm, picom
I think this is even worse than before, I barely see anything of act 4.

2 Likes