Assassin - what would you change in skills

Lets continus with another class :slight_smile:

Hey, I dont want to wait for Blizzard to improve diablo 2 Resurrected so i decided to do it myself atleast for offline play with some modding. I am thinking about various ideas, but I would like to hear from others too so thats why i make this topic.

I would like to hear from you what is wrong with Assassin, Is something too strong? Is something too weak? should some skills be changed? Maybe some skills does cost too much mana or should do more, maybe new synergies between skills to make new builds? Maybe is something too strong? Maybe complete skill replacement? Please share any idea how you think assassin skills could be improved or changed and try to explain why if you can.

I am open to any suggestion and like all ideas but try to not go too radical, i am trying to improve d2 and make mostly better what already exist. Not create 10 completely new skills :slight_smile:

You can watch my progress with my mod here where i post updates:

Add this

1 Like

Martial Arts still needs work. I find that the following suggestion should coincide with not just the Assassin but the Barbarian, Amazon, Paladin and Druid and that is piercing Enemy Physical Resistance independently of a Necromancer curse. Itā€™s either Lawbringer, Brand, Reaper Toll or an Amplify Damage wand for dealing with monsters in general, not the least of which are PI(which this suggestion doesnā€™t apply towardsā€¦ still need a curse for those).

Claw Mastery: -1% Enemy Physical Resistance per level.

Looking anywhere from -30 to -40% to Enemy Physical Resistance from Claw Mastery with end-game gear/inventory. Thatā€™ll go a long way in cutting through the 50% Physical Resistance on Hell Difficulty but against PIā€™s this does not apply(like Cold Mastery does for Cold immunes, hence still need Amplify Damage/Decrepify for PI). It can be .5% per level but Iā€™d only agree to that if we could get Physical Rainbow Facets so that we can supplement this to get closer to zero without the need of a curse. Barbarian equivalent would be its Mastery Skills(double the impact on Spear/Polearm), Amazon via Penetrate, Druid via Lycanthropy or Werewolf/Werebear(Werebear being stronger) and Paladin has Sanctuary aura(which ignores it outright on Undead).

Another change I have in mind corresponds to Cloak of Shadowsā€¦

Cloak of Shadows: Works on all enemies(including Bosses). -Enemy Defense no longer capped at -95% and has no cooldown(can be cast repeatedly if need be).

Reasoning behind this one is that Barbarian Battle Cry can go above -100% Target Defense and with it not applying to all enemies can really hamper the Assassin hitting targets with piss poor Attack Rating. Itā€™s bad enough having to deal with the Character/Monster Level difference with Terror Zones and Ubers so being able to reduce or ignore Defense would help a ton here. Itā€™s also one skill that can not be used until its duration expires(which makes no sense to me).

2 Likes

Interesting, yeah it sound good. I can do that for assassin. Not yet decided aboit others. Paladin is pretty much done with changes and he already has too to deal with immunes. Blessed aim, sanctuary, vengeance. Barbarian has berserk. Not sure aboit ama yet.

Lol :joy: i would never think of that. Cool idea. I will definitely add them.

1.Venom

Assassinā€™s Venom skill needs synergy or buff. Damage increase and duration increase

2.Shadow Warrior and Shadow master summon

Shadow Master and Shadow Warrior must be summonable at the same time.

1. Mind blast

The mind blast skill needs to change from physical damage to magic damage.

Wake of Fire shall have 10-15 shots.
Shadow Master/Warrior shall have separate max traps counter, not shared with the player.
Shadow Master/Warrior AI should be more active, pretty often they wander around doing nothing.

3 Likes

Iā€™d either put a synergy between the two shadows, or let the player use both at the same time.

2 Likes

Charges regenerate over time like 1 charge per 5 sec. Highiest hard points skill has priority for regen. It reduces the need of boring charging every time and open some options for pvpā€¦

3 Likes

This is ideal, having replenishing charges over time in addition to regular charging. If thatā€™s not possible at least make charge ups always hit so itā€™s faster to charge them. Finishers will have to be reverted to require AR and next delay for charge ups should be removed.

1 Like

Separate trap counters for summons is much needed. I would go further to differentiate Master and Warrior. Currently very few people use Warrior because Master is just better in most situations. It would be interesting if both Master and Warrior have the same stats but Master would be limited to Trap skills and Warrior limited to MA skills, both would have access to Shadow skills. This would give you different reasons to use each and different situations where one is better. When Iā€™m playing a trapper Iā€™d much rather my shadow engage and tank for me rather than hiding behind me, when Iā€™m playing a MA sin it would be better if my shadow was spamming death sentries for me when Iā€™m killing.

CTC venom, BoS and fade should not override your existing Venom, BoS and Fade if they are lower level. Higher level should always take priority. BoS from a CTC item should be able to stack with your Fade and vice versa, similar to how pally auras work on items.

2 Likes

1: Fix mindblast stun so FHR can be fixed.

Options:
*Remove shadowmasterā€™s ability to spam mindblast.
*Clear swirls after 1 stun hit
*Remove damage on mindblast
*Each consecutive stun is diminished by FHR frames of the other player
*Mindblast does not stun but creates swirls and damage

2: Fix WW desync. If you WW a group of monsters you completely lose sight of your character and desync.

3: Martial arts need to be more powerful than WW to be interesting. Also zero FHR on martial art abilities makes them useless in pvp (any caster will crush a sin using max dclaw with perfect claws if they sat and hit each other)

4: Blade fury cant work in pvp with the current windup delay (imagine catching a caster).

2 Likes

increase venom duration time in order to work together with other sources of poision dmaage

2 Likes

Blades need to either pierce or bounce. That would completely fix Bladesin builds and make them viable. Traps are fine. Not sure about martial arts.

1 Like

Make Blade Fury ricochet. If they allowed lightning fury that op, they can at least make this skill a little similar. Besides, once you build around BF, you have to stick to it because u have to max out synergies that are for the most part utterly useless. Single target is find for BF but itā€™s joke for clear speed of any sort. BF users literally have to rely on death sentry and waste few points just to get some clear speed. Sin torches are literally 2nd cheapest torches cuz of niche builds surrounding the class that requires GG gears cuz good luck making a BF build with starting items.

1 Like

Remove the cooldown on cloak of shadows and give blade sentry ar%.

1 Like

Oh yea not to mention, BF ar is sht without ignore targetā€™s defense. I also do not understand why there has to be a delay when casting BF it feels so damn clunky, itā€™s overall uneccessary. Just to explain why the other synerdies are useless, both of them have mediocre dmg potential, blade shield ticks off durability for no good reason and itā€™s counter productive to be in close proximity with mobs anyway since youā€™re a range character and lastly, blade sentinel is just sht; they travel so slow and theres a delay cast too, more importantly it counts toward your # of traps laid so itā€™s counter productive to use since you will be relying with death sentry anyways for clear speed; sht speed/cast speed, sht damge and oh yea sh*t aoe for no reason. You might as well be spamming BF rather than spending time casting blade sentinel. Now Iā€™m just getting mad thinking about this.

1 Like

Psychic Hammer and Mind Blast

Psychic Hammer does pathetic damage. Triple the damage increase (for both Magic and Physical) per a point in Psychic Hammer. That would result in Level 56 Psychic Hammer doing approximately 520-640 damage (half physical and half magic). Compare this to level 54 Holy Bolt that does 838-956 magic damage (also piercing but limited to Undead and Demons). Then also give Psychic Hammer a synergy of +50% damage per a point in Mind Blast (comparable to the +50% damage increase Holy Bolt gets from Fist of the Heavens).

At level 50 Mind Blast does 336-346 Physical Damage. Give Mind Blast a synergy of +10% damage per a point in Psychic Hammer. That should result in a level 50 Mind Blast doing 1008-1038 Physical Damage with max synergies.

These changes would create a caster Assassin, using Mind Blast against groups and Psychic Hammer against single targets. It would not be overpowered, with a clear speed well below that of a FofH Paladin. However, it would be a lot safer due to the Stun and Knockback effects and might be attractive to Hardcore players. More importantly it would create an entirely new build type for the Assassin class.

More generally, I think there needs to be a differentiation between the three Blade Trap options. Instead of synergies between the three the synergies should be with something else. For example, Blade Fury should synergize with Cloak of Shadows. Blade Shield should have a more defensive aspect to it.

Martial Arts needs something to make it feel better when charging up. Blades of Ice needs something to help, as the third charge just freezes. Cobra Strike ought to have some kind of synergy with Venom.

2 Likes

Psychic hammer could use a bit of a buff, maybe have it do pure magic damage and buff dmg a bit. Instead of knock back it could have knock forward to give it different utility compare to mind blast. MB is superior for keeping monsters away, so maybe PH could be used to pull specific monsters towards you. I donā€™t think it needs a lot of dmg to be good if it could provide a valuable utility.

I think MB is already pretty good maybe too good. Itā€™s the best CC skill in the game no need to give it a lot of damage as well. TBH I think it deserves a small quarter second cool down so itā€™s just a little less spammy.

For blade fury, I think ricochet sounds cool but if piercing chance works on it it would be good enough, and get rid of the initial casting delay. All blade skills should get more AR bonus. Itā€™s strange that AR depended skills donā€™t come with inherent AR bonuses, Iā€™d trade off some damage for more AR.

For Venom a longer duration like 4 seconds at the same dps would be good. Right now all other sources of psn gets gimped when using Venom. Because of the reliance on AR you wonā€™t be consistency applying Venom. Having a little longer duration give you a bit more leeway on maintaining Venom on targets and not be gimped again for relying on AR.

2 Likes

Iā€™m playing a lot of pure melee no elemental traps no death sentry assassin.
To the point where most of the advice I find for the questions Iā€™ve searched for have been my own advice from when I tried the same builds 15 years ago.

1: Let Dragon Flight be usable in line of sight like Leap Attack;
She can teleport in line of sight, itā€™s just annoying that she only can teleport if thereā€™s an enemy there to attack.
Line of sight limitation makes it different than sorceress teleport.
Add a 2 second casting delay, whatever, just giving the assassin a mobility tool would be great. Increase the mana cost too, while weā€™re at it. I just want to be able to cross the river of flame maze when thereā€™s no enemies on the other side, or flayer jungle.

2: Dragon Claw.
The druid skill fury attacks the primary target once and then ā€˜randomā€™ targets.
The paladin Zeal skill attacks the primary target once and then ā€˜randomā€™ targets.
The amazon Jab skill attacks the primary target once and then ā€˜randomā€™ targets.
The barbarian skill Double Swing attacks the primary target once and than a random target.
ā€¦the assassin just has double swing with benefits.
Playing a pure physical melee assassin, the literal one thing that kills me the most is Dragon Clawā€™s inability to focus.
Giving the assassin the ability to hit the same target with all hits from Dragon Claw would improve the skill dramatically, and fit with the theme of Assassin:
She can kill single targets.
Currently, sheā€™s not particularily good at single targets with the claw skills.
And nerf the sound slightly. Perhaps only play the grunts on kills.

Blade Fury: For the love of all that is holy, give it the Inferno / Arctic Blast / Whirlwind treatment: Ignore enemies and just cast the skill for as long as you hold the button.
Itā€™s infuriating to try to use the skill, because you just end up throwing two blades in a crowd, and constantly resetting and taking time to play the starting animation, for every time one single target dies, and you just TRY to find an empty space where you can engage what should already have been a part of the skill: Casting as many blades as you want without stopping every time an enemy dies.
And make the wind-up use attack speed; faster attack speed faster wind-up.

Venom: Donā€™t cap it to 0.4 seconds. I get the idea, but just cutting poison damage to 0.4 seconds is kind of strange, sheā€™s the literally worst poison damage dealer of all characters with poison skills.

Cloak of Shadows: Make it follow the assassin, likeā€¦ a cloak. Nerf it slightly to compensate, but DO make it a relatively expensive short-lived aura.
Or cap the duration and make it recastable with a casting delay of some few seconds, less than 7.

Iā€™ve literally never played and canā€™t be bothered to use any traps but Blade Sentinel:
I donā€™t know how it works, but it appears to attack one enemy once per second. Sometimes, and sometimes not, and sometimes ā€“ it shreds.
Too unreliable to actually use ā€“ and compared to other traps, pretty much a waste, unless youā€™re using a weapon that one hit kills enemies. In which case itā€™s quite decent.
But if you donā€™t, itā€™s pretty bad, as youā€™re going to be 60 skillpoints deep into the blade trap skills if you actually use Blade Sentinel, and even then, itā€™s still likely to be more than spamming Blade Fury. Could be magnetic towards enemies and display hit attempts.

ā€¦

Psychic Hammer literally does nothing right now.

3 Likes

Donā€™t forget how useless Blade shield is and how youā€™re not suppose to even use it for end game weapon if u know what I mean. Also Blade sentinel uses trap count.

1 Like

On the topic of MA skills, it would be nice if Dragon Talon stops attacking when targets move out of range like Zeal or Fury. Itā€™s just annoying to be kicking air, to the point you start limiting the level on your DTalon so you would have less kicks. It would be nice if DTalon, DTail and DClaw were uninterruptible. Line of sight teleport for Dflight would be a dream come true.

Blade shield shouldnā€™t use weapon durability, youā€™re not really attacking with your weapon. This one doesnā€™t make sense.

For weapons block, fbr should work on it and block rate should drop to 1/3 when running instead of 0 like how shields are. This one is a minor gripe.

On a side note it would be cool if Blade Sentinel stayed stationary and if an enemy comes close enough it starts tracking them like Bone Spirit until the duration runs out. It also makes no sense that this skill would use the trap count if itā€™s on a cooldown already. Anyways this one is a pipe dream.

1 Like