Fix for 170GB "Update"

After doing all of this…

it still doesn’t recognise anything! :frowning: i didn’t have the previous version available even when doing the restore, so i just have to download 120GB :frowning:

Guess i won’t be playing for a few days, as my Data doesn’t reset untill the 16th of this month! :frowning:

Sorry to hear that! Unfortunately I cant test any more on mine as it now works…
EDIT: I have been messing around a bit more

Not sure where to go from here but pretty much if the IDX files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Call of Duty Modern Warfare\Data\data are duff you are forced to redownload the entire game.

I have deleted these very small 4MB files and it requests me to download 171GB
I have replaced these files with my old working IDX files and it requests me to download the 200MB patch

Can u upload ur IDX files anywhere?^^

I would however not really my place to do it sorry, it could contain account information and all sorts. I suspect they are unique to some degree to each user.

I dont think that they would save account information in the Data/data folder, but I unterstand what u r worried about :confused:

What would be good is if we could get the attention of an admin to look into it, if they could provide the files and confirm it works instead of a 171GB download you would have a 4MB file and then the 200MB Patch.

The issue is once the game has initiated that download of the entire game it does stuff with these files which means you are stuffed. For anyone who is able to get their old files from a previous version that is the only method, delete the ones current, replace them with the old ones, run the launcher and do a repair.

1 Like

I have the previous version menu but nothing inside how’s possible?

1 Like

hey, does deleting battle.net and blizard entertainment folders affect anything regarding my bnet account? I’ve read somewhere that it deletes all my friendlist on my bnet account. I would like someone to confirm that so i would avoid it

Not entirely sure to be honest but given the more up to date information I would say you can skip the deleting of those folders.

If you have the old Modern Warefare files, overwrite the new ones and run a repair on the game within the Blizzard launcher.

i’ve tried it, my friends are still there

To fix this, Pause the update, change region to one you’re not in (if you’re EU change to NA and if NA change to ASIA or something) Then hit unpause/continue and it’ll download it :slight_smile:

once it’s downloaded you can change back to your original region and it’ll work.

tried what you have suggested Frank. It gave a 20gb file to download. I did and it started, I was happy…then i selected multiplayer…crash - says Content not installed and crashes to desktop. started up again, selected warzone, boom same…so trying to scan & repair again but think all that can be done is total reinstallation.

Hope it works for others so only a few are left with a redownload.

Please explain how I can do that. I have downloaded like 1% of the new update (which is 75gb) so I dont think I’ve downloaded that many new files but how do i find them to delete them

If you are unable to follow the guide at the top its probably a safer bet to just wait for the download, sorry

So what i did to make it work :
Lucky i have a fresh save from the 17/03/2020
I unistalled battlenet
Clear appdata/local/ everything about battlenet/blizzard
Clear appdata/roamin evrything about battlenet/blizzar
Installed Battlenet
Install the Beta battlenet
Copying the Cod in a folder, for me x:/games/call of duty …
Go on battlenet, find your game, dont update
Repair/verifying the game
Click on update
The update is 200mb

Play

Its pretty much the same, but for me Frank s method didnt work.

Hope it will help some of you.

(sry for my Eng)

Glad you are on, correct me if i am wrong but you have done exactly the same thing apart form install Beta Battlenet? This shouldn’t have made any difference lol

Essentially you replace the current game files with old ones and it prompts for the correct update?

Without the beta, got 80gb update

The only thing thats working for me is to download off Asian servers, im in the UK, at 250kb/s. 67 days estimated download time lol.

I’ve tried everything here except going back to a previous install as I dont have one.

So guys,

My friend copied his files over to my PC and the launcher still said that it needed to “update” the game files with another 149GB patch, he paused the download went into the game folder on my pc this is

D:\Call of Duty Modern Warfare

and launched the Modern Warfare Launcher, he then got a notifciation that COD was ready to play even though the launcher said it had 149GB left to download, it switched from “updating” to play…

can someone else try this and let me know.

EDIT

after leaving my friends house and turning off the pc, when i turn it back on the launcher is asking me to download 150GB again.