"You're not supposed to be good at everything"

No it hasn’t, it has been homogenized because Blizzard homogenized it.
This is the same issue tank classes have in FFXIV.

In ARR, Paladin was mitigation through defense, Warrior was mitigation through self healing/big HP pool.
In terms of eHP, however, they were the same.
In terms of damage, they were the same.
in terms of HOW they played? They were different, and some people enjoyed the big crits from a Warrior vs the sustained damage of a Paladin.

Forcing the player to deal with the consequences of bad design is a horrible philosophy.

4 Likes

Its not though.

I mean look at me. I don’t raid, I don’t do dungeons, I don’t do rated PvP. All I do is play to have fun and this system seem anti-fun to me. One of the ways I have fun is by playing with my spec and abilities and this system limits that for no real reason.

So I have said multiple times that the claims of min-maxers and elitist wanting this opened is disingenuous and flat out deceitful to those of use who are neither and want it opened. I also ask again what does it even matter to them if people can change.

1 Like

Maybe I’m just not good enough but this feels extremely untrue for the 3 mage specs I’ve played

2 Likes

Whoa whoa whoa… Please check your casual card at the door mister. We only take kindly to those who are willing to bash dem min/maxers! How DARE they want to play the game well! How very dare they!

2 Likes

Every class now is part of the dps rat race. Every class now has their main ability, secondary ability, their proc, their cool down, their movement spell, crowd control, and their counterspell.

The game is homogenous and it boils down to whos got the beat dps meter.

Cosmetics don’t matter. Every so often people try to say cosmetics matter… they don’t. This is fact. It’s just fact. Challenge Modes. Mythic+. You lose. Moving on.

Are you advocating that real-money transactions are good for the game? My god, the giga-brain takes on your side of the table. Absolute humongous brain.

It’s not. It’s part of your “kit”, not part of your character. The entire point of Blizzard making this decision is that the list of things that make up your “kit” are already massive, whereas the things that make up your character in 2020 are your class and your race. Your spec isn’t even part of your character anymore! It’s kind of insane, but your spec is part of your “kit”, your bag-of-tricks. Swapping from a raging dual-wielding maniac to a zen spiritual healer is a thing you can do because Greg Street put it into the game and now we can’t get it out. We definitely don’t need more flavor fails like that.

LFR is popular. Flying is popular. These things are pretty toxic for the game though. You know what’s also popular? Paying for power on F2P private servers. My brother played on a server where you could just pay some money and get a pair of warglaives. You can be sure the people who were paying were happy and it was popular among them, but the people who didn’t like it would hate it enough to just stop playing. Imagine saying that a feature like LFR is good because of popularity.

I have all three mages at 120. They differ only in their particle effects. The rotations are essentially the same.

The game isn’t homogenized as it is except at the very top end which most of use just don’t care about, so their claims of homogenization are already BS. It would be the same with open these up. I mean look at me again, I am a BM hunter with a pink tallstrider. If I cared about min-max I would be using a spirit beast, but I don’t. I care about having fun.

1 Like

Why is flying toxic. Calling something X does not make that something X. I would say making people tread more slowly through zones they’ve completed is more toxic than any else. Sort of like making people replay content they’ve done already.

The double-speak is unreal. One day you’re dropping facts about 96% of all armories sharing the same talent trees, the next “nobody feels pressured to min-max”. You guys on the other side of the table need to make up your mind.

Blizz is trying to reduce the delta between the top and bottom to creatiy parity by hamstringing the top min/maxers as much as possible.

You are correct that it is 100% a futile effort! Have a brew on me. :beer: :thinking:

You are not even quoting me correctly in this thread, fairly sure you aren’t quoting me correctly from a different one.

After reading this disgruntled druid spam up my thread I think i could use about 6! :beers:

3 Likes

So what?
Players are ALWAYS looking for a way to speed things up, to maximize their reward. Nothing is wrong with it, as long as you give players different ways to do it. Don’t blame players for what they naturally do, blame developers for not designing the game to be flavorful.
Locking people in doesn’t add flavor.

This was such an incredibly ignorant statement it took me a few minutes to figure out how to reply.
If cosmetics didn’t matter, then people wouldn’t have screamed for transmog to be a thing.
Sit down and be quiet.

If you’re having to ask me what I am saying, then it means you willfully misread what I wrote. Go back, read it again.
RMT’s can be good for the game depending on what they provide btw.

It is. This is a fact.

Yeah…flavor fails which resulted in helping the game become a massive success because allowing players the freedom of choice is incredibly popular. Who knew?

No metric agrees with you in any aspect of it mate. Sorry.
Don’t know where you got P2W though, but its clear you’re just being a contrarian for the sake of it. Not because you have anything to contribute to the discussion.

…Yeah…no…

1 Like

There’s nothing problematic about liking WoD or hating Legion, in the same way as to hating WoD or liking Legion because it’s all an subjective opinion to have and people like/dislike different things. I’m not going to tell them their wrong for liking or hating something i like/dislike, or say something blatantly silly like “they aren’t living in reality”.

Sure, Wod did performed terribly and Legion saved it, but that has nothing to do with why you think it’s problematic to have a subjective opinion, negative or positive any of those two expansions, just because of how well they performed.

Personally, Legion is one of the expansion packs where it just doesn’t appeal to me in the same way that WoD does and not something i want to replay again and the story of that game was disappointing overall. (same with BFA really). Meanwhile, despite how short and rushed the length of WoD is, i actually enjoyed it, since it was still following the pre legion wow format… only simpler. I can still recognize that Legion is the better expansion and WoD isn’t.

The druid in question has very little experience with the game. Best thing to do is just ignore him completely.

It just depends on the individual’s circumstances. Getting benched for being sub-optimal is really only an issue at the high end but my point is that people should never feel like they need to. Everything should be within 10% in all situations while some would excel at others (i.e. one spec is 10% better than the other one at aoe but is 10% worse at single target.) That is fair and that doesn’t break anything for anyone except those on the bleeding edge of content.

The problem lies in the fact that (currently) some specs are as much as 40-50% behind in some situations which is just far too high a disparity.

That’s the worry. If they’re all within a few percent of one another that’ll be great and the system will be fine.

If they aren’t, though… You can see the cause for alarm.

Pathfinder just opens up the character creation screen you’re met with when you start the game and refunds all of your levels. You don’t actually lose anything because you get to just reallocate everything. It even lets you change your race, gender, name, alignment, et cetera. Probably lets you change too much tbh.

Pillars resets your class so you can respec it if you had a bad build.

Divinity allows you to reallocate attribute and skill points.

I can list more RPGs I consider better than WoW that allow you to respec if you’d like. Some of them are older games. I just listed my favourites.

I disagree with labeling these choices as “RPG elements.” Like I said earlier, the only job of an RPG is to enable you to play a character–to experience a world through a different set of eyes. Good ones allow you to play that character exactly as you’d like to. Bad ones limit your choices.

You’re not wrong. I’ve been speaking broadly about class design, not just covenant abilities (though that has been specifically mentioned a few times.)

There are some specs right now that are way behind in certain aspects of the game. I feel there needs to be less of a disparity between them.

1 Like

Look at BFA design. Procs that do damage for you from azerite traits, procs that do damage for you from corruption and trinkets.

Players skill and timing is reducing.

Blizz has tried to reduce the gap between top and bottom players and they fail. Why? Because top players are still going to line up their CDs when all their procs line up.

But the game becomes dull if most of our button presses don’t matter as much if procs literally play the game for us. Furthermore, there is no room for growth for those players starting at the bottom. This is because those bottom players are content to be letting corruptions doing the majority of their damage. But learning how to do damage, lining up damage and timing is far more important.

MMORPGs are supposed to be fun because you avatar/character grow stronger and along the way you learn through trial and error. Through trial and error you learn to become a better player.

Blizz has taken away the learning curve and thus robbed new or players at the bottom the ability to grow as MMORPG players.

When procs from traits, corruptions and trinkets play the game for you it might as well be a simulator at this point! :thinking: :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers: :beers:

2 Likes

Every expansion under Greg Street saw subs drop. The only expansion where subs have gone up past early WOTLK is BFA…

Hmmm… Blizzard has seem more than 200% growth between their most recent content drop and World of Warcraft classic. Nothing to support that people hate flying and LFR. Nothing at all. Hmmm.

(Just an FYI, since you seem a bit dense, Classic has no LFR or flying and has been a smashing success, Blizzard has seen more success than they have in terms of revenue GROWTH in almost a decade).