"You're not supposed to be good at everything"

It doesn’t add flavor.
Telling someone “I am locking you in for a week” isn’t any different than allowing a player to swap on a daily basis.
If you couldn’t swap azerite traits that would be “flavorful” as well but it would also be bad design.

1 Like

More like my original sentiments will be washed out by a handful of you snipping at each other like children.

All this over me worried about how the game might feel for the way I play.

There are some specs that seem like they have no weakness. then there’s specs it have tons of weaknesses.

If every spec had some type of weakness I would agree.

My point exactly, Hamstar.

A lot of people limit themselves unnecessesarily. There is nothing saying that a person that spent twenty years studying to be a wizard couldn’t also be a good thief.

Or… Are people in reality only good at one thing? Most are good at many things or at least several things.

1 Like

People can be good in many different aspects but are they great?

Sure.

And where we be at in Shadowlands is:

Why would you bring a Kirian mage when Necrolords do more damage?

How is this better?

Many can…

1 Like

What you are asking for are no meaningful choices. Just pick the best cookie cutter spec for any situation. That goes against the spirit of the game (and just about every RPG).

1 Like

That is not true at all. If anything, having a hybrid tax was one of the most detrimental aspects of gameplay, and meant players could be screwed at the character select screen.

A choice isn’t meaningful because you are locked in it. A choice is meaningful because of what it provides unique to the others.
I chose a void elf, this is a meaningful choice because even if you removed racials from the game, the aesthetics I get as a void elf are unique. Not because I can change the skin color/face/hair length.
I can pay to change my race, and that choice is meaningful because those aesthetics are unique.

If being locked in made something meaningful, then you shouldn’t have any customization in the game after you make your character because then the choice isn’t “meaningful.”.

You mean…like people do now? Based on your logic,if we pick a talent, you shouldn’t change until the next expansion. Its not meaningful.

Bull.
Many RPG’s often don’t provide ANY choice at all such as Legend of Zelda, but they provide you different ways to play the game including those the developers did not intend.
Other RPG’s which don’t offer choice did not need to because they provided it by giving you more characters and types.
Other RPG’s did not have the architecture.
Other games allowed you to respec.

There is no “one” spirit to an RPG, and locking you in wasn’t the reason they were meaningful. They were meaningful because they were uniquein what they offer.

Oh, and just an FYI, the ability to respec and redo your choices is an IMMENSELY popular feature. So much so that it is the most popular mod for Dragon Age Origins.

4 Likes

Sure. This is going to sound a little arrogant but there’s not really a way to avoid that since I’m going to use myself as an example…

I’m a good network security engineer and I’m a great artist and writer. I’m a decent guitarist and pianist too.

People have broad interests and skillsets. Boiling them down to a singular talent or quality is insulting in reality and limiting in RPGs. It’s a silly mindset that needs to go away.

2 Likes

The only thing it meant was that too many players were obsessed with playing the dps meter metagame.

Sure the token billionaires that have an abundance of time, and resources to outsource the necessities of living to be modern da Vincis. Good point though.

Truer words have never been stated.

2 Likes

What really gets me in all of this is that those who don’t want to change covenants/abilities wouldn’t be forced to when (because it is only a matter of time) others are allowed more freedom in doing it. So I am confused over why the hostility to calls to open it up now.

2 Likes

So what?
What’s wrong with that?
It doesn’t affect the way you play the game.
Why shouldn’t players be able to play the game that way?
Why should there be only one way to enjoy the game?

You aren’t hurt by players being able to swap conduits.
If you don’t want to swap because you don’t want to, then you don’t, because you get the freedom to enjoy the game.
If you can’t handle choice, then don’t game?

3 Likes

This forum really is just Covid daycare, huh? It all makes sense now.

It’s interesting to read all these theeads about how toxic people that want to play efficiently are but when I make this thread as an uber casual that is only worried about how the specs feel to play for fun and don’t think that fun should be restricted for the sake of “good vs bad players,” the only people to show me toxicity are the people that point fingers at the “min/maxers”

Turns out there’s a right and a wrong way to be casual I guess

7 Likes

I’m not sure how frequent all this benching is really going to be. I managed to get into content that I wanted to do despite being a total noob with terrible azerite traits and level one and two essences. Unless one covenant is objectively stronger than every other in every given situation to an appreciable degree, it seems pretty unlikely that this will be the be all that ends all in regards to getting into content. M+ will undoubtedly be a disaster at high keys but it has always been like that. Covenants will not change the fundamental problems it has, and before we worry about people getting denied for a system that augments their class we should worry about people getting denied because of just their class. But that’s more so a community thing than a gameplay thing.

In regards to the games you mentioned, all of those have come out in the last five years (and from what I understand, the respec option in Pathfinder was patched in later). Those respecs also tend to come with a cost and erase the progress you’ve made in the class you were already in (except OS2 which I’m pretty sure just lets you reapply all skill points at the mirror).

I’m also not saying that preventing people from switching covenants around is objectively the correct choice, especially if Blizzard fumbles the ball and really screws up on balancing them. I think most of this argument stems from people’s disagreements on the role of RPG elements in wow and the implementation of more RPG elements vs. convenience and ease of access. It’s not something that can be conclusively decided because it concerns what people want out of the game. In my personal opinion, I think having more RPG options would be fun and provide my character with more flavor, provided that Blizzard doesn’t horrifically wet the bed (which they are wont to do).

1 Like

It homogenized the game to the point where all the classes are basically the same. The only differences are the particles effects.

Restricting you from an AoE ability does not mean you cannot AoE though. Selection of a covenant does not mean you are picking one thing to be exclusively good at performing.